Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultimate All Carbon Twin tip?

Forum for kitesurfers
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Ultimate All Carbon Twin tip?

Postby fernmanus » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:50 am

The past few years some very light and expensive all carbon twin tip boards have been introduced. Carved has the Imperator V which they state is the lightest board at 1800 grams. Crazy Fly produces the Elite that comes with its own special case, they claim it is the lightest production board at 1940 grams. Too bad the checkerboard top really hurts my eyes.

I like a light kiteboard as much as the next guy, but what I am looking for is a light board wirth a sweet ride. The footstraps and pads should also be amazing.

I can't find much info on theses boards, if you have one please chime in and mention your style of riding. If there are other boards I should consider please chime in. The Core Fusion also comes to mind.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ultimate All Carbon Twin tip?

Postby plummet » Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:28 am

The nomad boards also look sweet. brokite aswell.

I haven't ridden any of the boards mentioned.

But have my own carbon board and its as awesome.

Things to watch for with carbon is the stiffness and the springback. They tend to be stiffer and or snap back into shape after flexing faster than glass. That makes for a livelier ride than your glass alternative.

Some will like the lively rebound. Others will prefer the flex of glass.

Dave_5280
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 78 kg
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha Beach Park, Maui, Hawaii, U.S.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Switchblades, Contras, CF Raptor TT. Ozone Frenzy foil kites with skis. Fixed bridle foil kites on handles with MBS landboard. Progression Sports videos.

Postby Dave_5280 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:14 am

Maybe try contacting CrazyFly and ask if they would customize it, or search for a custom board maker.

jsquid
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Point, Sauble, Oliphant, Wasaga
Favorite Beaches: KP, Long Bay (TCI), Long Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 and XR4 LW
Carved Imperator V
Core Fusion
Core Fusion LW
Core Ripper 2
Brand Affiliation: Hangtime Kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Postby jsquid » Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:51 pm

My main board is a Carved Imperator V 139x44, I use it from flatwater to overhead waves, everything. (I'm 85kg)

Very very comfortable ride, it eats up chop like mad, very easy on the knees as it smooths out all the ripple. Planes early, I've used this board in very light wind with my 17m kite while on vacation without my LW board and it does a great job, but it also doesn't lose it's edge at speed. I've ridden other boards that just want to skip out from under you at speed, this one does not.

I've also got an Imperator V 133x40.5 that I use less frequently than the 139x44, it's great when really powered up but I mean really powered up. It has about the same amount of rocker as the 139 but over it's shorter length so it chews up power a lot more. You can change your weighting/stance to make it more efficient but I find once I've programmed myself into my 139 it takes a few passes to dial in my form for the 133.

I've ridden my Carved boards back to back with a CORE Fusion 137x41 as well, the Fusion definitely transfers more of the chop feel into your feet and legs, it just felt stiffer in that respect. I am taking a Fusion with me on holidays soon and plan to put more time in on it, I should have some more comparative feedback in a few weeks if the wind cooperates. :)

Cheers,

Jeff

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core
Been thanked: 0

Postby AirBunny » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Love my double concaved Fusion board. Carved are lighter, handmade, more exclusive, but the single curve makes for a rockier ride and more splash. A matter of taste, I guess. The Fusion is a couple grams heavier than the Carved. I like the Imperator on the wall, the Fusion under my feet.

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Thu Jan 29, 2015 2:52 pm

I have a Imp 5 Carved 130x39 is sooo smooth just the best board I have ridden. I have broken about 10 boards previously this one has not broken yet, going on 2 years. It is really worth the price if you can afford it. I am 80 kilos and 5'9 I like to ride small boards hold my edge better. I changed the pads and straps recently for the North Entity 2015 they are sweet, didnt really care much for the Carved ones.

AirBunny
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Darß, Germany; Long Beach, USA; Cumbuco, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco
Style: Old school
Gear: Core

Postby AirBunny » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:47 pm

Absolutely, the Imperator is your weapon of choice for more radical styles... But you need softer pads. The Mouse broke 10 boards! That's crazy! You go, dude!

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:37 am

Definitely check out Brokite boards - http://www.brokite.com/2012/page/ . I have not ridden one yet but any owner of a Brokite boards I've talked to loves 'em. As a mechanical engineer I appreciate how their 6 carbon stringer construction allows them to achieve the desired board stiffness with a much thinner board core, and hence save weight. Next TT I buy will be one on these.

BiteMe
Frequent Poster

Postby BiteMe » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:06 pm

Nice Video on Brokite board building process here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un7OMRT ... 1422579428

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 2:59 am

Well I really rate my 2014 north team series. Very light. Bites real nice. But footpads have been changed, those vario pads are downright horrible.

Return to “Kitesurfing”