Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Death Looping Kites...how to stop them?

Postby Toby » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:04 pm

Due to the recent fatality in the UK, I was thinking, what can we do to stop a kite from doing so?

If you see someone in a death loop, what would/could you do, without getting in real danger ourselves?

One idea came to my mind, by trying to hit the LE of that looping kite with my board...specially the fin, to cut the LE.

What would the owner say? Thank you or make me pay for it, while I tried to save his life?
Will it be possible? If the kite loops, it goes a straight line so you could anticipate the direction and loops.

Any other ideas?

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Death Looping Kites...how to stop them?

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:28 pm

The one time I have a dangerous looping kite the front line had snapped and the kite went into a death spiral. I found they tend of start looping really fast and often this twists the lines so much it pulls the windtips in until the kite eventually explodes.

Looping kite - get rid of everything ASAP they almost never stop looping until they blow or hit the beach, failing that cut the lines if possible - It's a very scary situation and can happen very fast on bridled kites, you should not think twice about damaging equipment/cutting lines in that situation.
Go for anything that will release you - leash, leash safety, harness buckle etc - this could cause problems downwind of you.
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:32 pm

This subject comes up after every other accident. Up until now nobody came up with any killer idea.

If you tackle the kite being on a kite, you are asking for trouble: good chance to miss it, and good chance to get hit by it and lose control.

If you tackle the rider with a knife in your hand in order to cut his lines, you're traveling downwind and stand a good chance your kite is going to crash and add to the tangled mess.

Best chance is: be prepared when YOUR kite loops. Be fast with the QR and rehearse that. Wear a knife and train using it. Buy a kite which does not deathloop.

baobob
Medium Poster
Gear: Airush Razor 11, Hadlow pro 9&7,
Tona Pop 138
Trampa modified deck titanium trucks

Postby baobob » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:41 pm

To me the only safe thing in land and in water it is: stay upwind, get closer to the kiter and grab one Oh Shit handle then run/ride away from the rider. If you can move at least 5 mt should be all right.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:45 pm

alamos_kiter wrote: Buy a kite which does not deathloop.
I disagree with this - All kites can go into a death loop, most bridal kites are espicially at risk. I have seen 5th line Naish Torch & Airush in death loops, bridaled kites and standard 4 line "C" kites.
Last edited by BillyGoatGruff on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cichenlùp
Medium Poster
Gear: Kite: RRD Obsession 12 - 9
Board: Arriba Arriba

Postby cichenlùp » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:55 pm

baobob wrote:To me the only safe thing in land and in water it is: stay upwind, get closer to the kiter and grab one Oh Shit handle then run/ride away from the rider. If you can move at least 5 mt should be all right.
agree, but it's everything always so fast and in the end you're alone... IMHO it's better:
1) to be always mind-prepared to unleash
2) being leashed on a side and forget HP leash on the back which will never be easy to trigger when it's really pulling

cichenlùp
Medium Poster
Gear: Kite: RRD Obsession 12 - 9
Board: Arriba Arriba

Postby cichenlùp » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:57 pm

BillyGoatGruff wrote:
alamos_kiter wrote: Buy a kite which does not deathloop.
I disagree with this - All kites can go into a death loop, most bridal kites are espicially at risk. I have seen 5th line Naish Torch & Airush in death loops, bridaled kites and standard 4 line "C" kites. All you need is a snapped front line, bridal wrapped around a wind tip, kite to blow through its self, bar end to wrap around the bar, line caught on harness hook, pulley jam/break etc..... ALL kites can go into a death loop.
me too, serious accidents happen because of unwanted tanglings in strong winds, in these conditions I do believe any kite will death loop

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:08 pm

Prevention and Preparation are key. I guess if I saw this happening to someone else, trying to do something like you suggest could be helpful. But how likely are you to be able to get into position to pull something like that off ? And even if you did get into position now you need this perfect strike to this looping kite, unfortunately it sounds highly unlikely .
Prevention means manufacturers and bar designers need to make this a priority, not only is it the right thing to do but I think it would be a great marketing tool for them also. Don't we all consider safety when buying a car? Redundant release systems are another area that could be a life saver. If your chicken loop will not release because it is twisted or jammed having a release on your hook seems like a great idea. Planes are amazing safe because most of the controls and operating systems have back ups..
But it is all worth nothing if you do not practice releasing from your system. From the beginning I have always practiced releasing my kite with both hands. Before every session I always release my quick releases to make sure they are moving freely and to reinforce my muscle memory.
Even when riding I will often look down at my chicken loop and with my hand pretend to release.
I know this all sounds like overkill but I know for a fact it saved my ass a couple of times . I had one bad launch a couple of years ago and my kite fell back into the power zone with my lines crossed , before the kite had a chance to toss me I had ejected without hesitation. And last summer in light wind by myself my 17m went into a loop when my line had wrapped around the bar end unnoticed when launching, again I was able to release before a second loop. Muscle memory is key , and you will never obtain it if you do not practice.
And never, never put your secondary release on your back unless your are an expert rider willing to take this risk, and even then make sure you have a harness that has a front side release for back attachment.
Last edited by matth on Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:19 pm

.....it may save your life,,,,,,,,, my first time on a board and kite, my kite ended up in a death loop until it exhausted itself and was only a small little ball. I just hung on for the ride as i was far into the lake........and i was wearing a life jacket (i just skipped acrosss the surface)!!! i dont know if i just got lucky. It sounds like some people drown in this scenario........

also i remember i never let go of the bar so my arms were always outstretched in front of me helping me stay above water,

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Mar 10, 2015 1:27 pm

Fog why didn't you pull the qr.

Return to “Kitesurfing”