Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Strutless Kite Modifying

Forum for kitesurfers
Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Strutless Kite Modifying

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions Starsky. :thumb: I will go with the preliminary stitching idea.
kiterocky wrote: And some velcro tape on the center strut if u want to put back? Maybe for gusty wind.....
I do not see why that wouldn't work.
I also don't see the benefit of a centre strut in gusty wind. My strutless Naish Trip behaves fine in gusts. The drifting ability plays a positive role there. It will not overfly or drop that easily.

Dimitri M
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: I travel all over the world.
Favorite Beaches: So many to list....
Style: MY OWN STYLE :-)
Gear: SCREAMER 7/9/12/14 for Free Style. Not to forget the SCREAMER 10 LTD for my one go kite.
SURF 8 & 12 for the waves. RENEGADE 6.5 and 9 for all around kiting. And some times I use my son's JUNIOR PRO 4 when it blows 45+ for the waves.
Just try the EPICKITES and you will see for yourself.
Brand Affiliation: Owner of EPIC KITES
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dimitri M » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:22 am

A lot of prototypes that we make are tested with the struts inflated and also with the struts deflated just to see the difference. So in few words if you have a kite that has a hole in the strut bladder then just leave it the way it is and go kiting. But make sure to pinch the one pump valve so your kite won't deflate.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Starsky » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Anyone else delved into this? Have had both the kites I modified out while tuning new bars lately and I'm super happy with how it turned out. Both fly pretty much flawlessly without flutter or negative behaviors.

Both are now two strut kites and significantly lighter than they were.

@ Peert,

Any progress on taking in the canopy to eliminate flutter?

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:28 am

Starsky wrote:
Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm

@ Peert,

Any progress on taking in the canopy to eliminate flutter?
Waroo 14m 2007: As a matter a fact I doubled the TE for 1 cm at the spot where I removed the struts. Effectively I have thus shortened the TE with in total 4 CM. I didn't sew up the whole corde of the canopy but left the remaining part loose just to try the shorter TE and it's effect on retaining pressure under the canopy.

Took the it out yesterday (sorry no camera) it functioned well. Took me upwind easilly where my Naish trip 10m clearly lacked power. Fluttering still occurs when sheeted out too much (al struttless would do this at a certain point) but much later than before. You can turn it (powered) without fluttering where this was not possibe before. Since the kite is currently that light I drifted and turned very well.

I am considering to remove the centre strut as well and will for sure make final 'new seams' at the location of the removed struts. Maybe take it in a littele bit further. I did not notice the kite getting less well upwind or getting less in the corner of the windwindow..so an extra 1 cm should not harm..
Attachments
strut removed.PNG
strut removed.PNG (73.45 KiB) Viewed 2120 times

Peert
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peert » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:43 pm

[youtube]https://youtu.be/GaXpSCjBZC8[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/GaXpSCjBZC8

This is how a 14m Waroo 2008 behaves with two struts less. See my post above for what I have done.
Yes, the kite flutters when turning or depowering. No, that is not a problem.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Modified an old 10 mtr Best HP, just left the centre strut, works rather well. Starting weight 3.5kg, current weight 2.8. Probably a 9.5 mtr kite now after I scoloped the trailing edge, even relaunches ok. Very happy with the performance and the extra float in the light stuff. Foiled yesterday in 9 knots of wind, quite adequate for my requirements.

muitomaluco
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Neusiedlersee
Gear: North Evo 6m2, North Rebel 7, 9, North Neo 9, Naish Trip 10m, GA Pure 7, 12
Board: RL-Splitboard, F-One Traxx, Naish Monarch, Liquid force happy foil, Slingshot Space Skate, Slingshot Waveboard, Flysurfer Viron 4m

Postby muitomaluco » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:37 pm

Hi guys,

Just read that old thread with a lot of interest. As you already got some experiece in making kites lighter: Any thoughts on the North Rhino 2009 size 16m²
You got some pictures here, mine is same size and colours: http://www.kiteforum.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=32321

What do you guys think? Worth a modification? Do you think it´d work with that shape of the wing? Colours would be even same like a Boardriding Maui Cloud! ;-))

As far as I can tell its a very slow turning truck with a lot of grunt and not so much jumping ability as I almost can´t hold the edge to pop. Got it cheap in perfect condition about a year ago, and had some great sessions on it though. Lots of depower. Built quite heavy with 6 struts.
I just bought myself a foilboard (Slingshot Space Skate) because I want to enjoy also those low wind days...

Thinking now if its worth it giving it a try to make some modifications on the Rhino to reduce weight for light winds and floating/drifting ability.
Or sell the Rhino for like 120€ and buy something different like a Gong Strutless 17m² or a 15m² Pansh foilkite for lightwind?

Are you guys still using your modified kites or was it just fun doing it and in the end the modifications were not sooo great? If thats the case then It mite be just better to get something different and try to sell the Rhino...

If you look at the Rhino and its 6 struts which ones to take away? ;-) It has 6 of them: No 2 and 5 are thin ones, the other ones are thicker. Between the wingtip and the first strut there´s a Batten on the trailing edge.

Leave the 2 light ones? 2,5
Leave the two inner ones 3,4?
Leave the ones on the wingtips to prevent flapping? 1,6
Just get rid of the No 2 and 5?

Flying it on a longer Bar and getting rid of 1 and 6 should make it turn quicker, no?

Any advise appreciated... ;-)

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Jul 27, 2018 1:13 pm

No one can tell you which struts. You have to fly it with them deflated to figure it out. It's a half hour interesting job for a light wind day. Pick a 10 knot day and throw it up in the air without any of the struts inflated and look at where it starts flapping. I found it pretty easy to see which struts were needed when loading it up by whipping it around a bit. Bring it down, just inflate the struts at the spots of most flapping/distortion and go from there.

Both of the kites I've taken struts off still work well. It does however shift their wind range way down. The 6m I modified was a high wind kite (25-35+ knots). It is strictly a foiling kite now for the 16-25 knot range. If I let the bar out and let it shoot full speed across the window in high winds with no back line tension, it will buckle. This kite has not got a lot of use lately, as I tend now to take the high wind opportunities to get on other boards

The C kite I took three struts off, is an 11m. Originally for the 15-25 knot range, it is now strictly a light wind snow kite. I use it with a snowboard in 9-15 knots. It shows no bad behavior after losing the struts and flies great with no flapping at all. Works great and gets a lot of use in winter.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
RagingGrandpa (Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:11 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:26 am

I've just single strutted an Ozone Reo 7 mtr. Very easy with Ozones as they sew the canopy before fitting the struts. Most other brands just glue the seam under the strut attachment then sew on the strut meaning you have to sew the canopy after removing the strut. A bit of silastic in the old strut inflation adapters seals them up.
Also the Ozones are light to start with, the 7 Reo is now under 2 kg with struts removed.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
jumptheshark (Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:58 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Kitesurfing”