Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Just bought my first set up...

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue May 12, 2015 1:50 am

UPDATE: Took my first lesson this weekend. They put me on a 15M lightwind kite, wind was about 14mph. And whoa, those things are no joke. We were learning how to body drag and my kite took a small dive and the instructor wanted me to relaunch it, and when it did, it yanked me and sent me flying about 14 feet. It was really good to feel the power and at the same time learn how dangerous they can be. I'm a little dissapointed how everyone told me a 16M was too big though, I feel like the 15M I was learning on had just the right amount of force for a begginer, but it's all good though, I'm just going to keep on truckin' dammit! :)

yowobx
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Anywhere in Hatteras
Long Bay TCI
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby yowobx » Tue May 12, 2015 2:06 am

Thanks for the update, keep them coming.

Friends have had a similar experience. They learned to wakeboard first and felt pretty good about it - when they got hooked in to the kite and felt the power as they moved it around, a few swallowed a little harder, turned a little whiter (which is hard to do for Canadians). Glad you enjoyed your short flight, there will be more of those as you push your learning limits, keep at it, be patient and listen to your instructor. Before you know it you'll be going upwind, boosting small jumps and generally wondering why the eff you didn't try this 10 years ago!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue May 12, 2015 1:41 pm

The thing with kiting is you have to do the opposite of what you think you should do in many circumstances. When you launch your kite from the water it takes off with a lot of power and most begginers will pull the bar in and hold on tight. You need to do the exact opposite, as the kite quickly climbs you need to push the bar out and kill the power. Sometimes when launching the from water I will actually just let go of the bar for a moment as the kite approaches 12.
Just remember one thing , you will NEVER out muscle a kite , you have to out think it...

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:05 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:29 am
Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forums, as well as my first step into the sport. I am super excited to start learning. I just bought a set up off craigslist, I weigh 140 lbs. My name is Curtis, I am an idiot, thanks. 04/25/2015
Happy 2nd anniversary coming up

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:52 pm

tautologies wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 am
about LFAK
unless you are trolling here
Your first reply seems spot on

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:51 pm

UHMMMMMM....LFAK...your first lesson 05/11/2015...you are a rookie "know it all" for sure by now...you don't impress anyone...some on this forum have had their first set-up since 1998

Cristiano_Leandro
Medium Poster
Gear: Best TS

Postby Cristiano_Leandro » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:27 pm

when i saw this last year i really thought it was a troll. Is this for real?

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster

Postby PullStrings » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:22 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:44 pm
Are you guys saying the 16m Liquid Force Hybrid kite is too big? I bought it to learn in low wind days. I don't have a lot of money, weigh 140 lbs and lessons are 300 dollars a session. You don't even learn how to ride in 1 session, it takes multiple sessions just to learn how to stand up. I know you guys think this is a big joke, but I am dead serious on trying to learn, and the whole reason I bought off of craigslist is because I don't have 3000 to dish out on new equipment.
TO FEEL SAFE MAKE SURE TO GET A GOOD SAFETY LEASH ON CRAIGLIST !!

LFAK is from a parallel universe... became an expert on all kiteboarding after just over 2 years... momma took him to the beach when very young and let him touch the sand !!

Sandras
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Fort Walton Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: Okaloosa Island, FL
Gear: .

Postby Sandras » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Are you guys saying the kite is too big? I bought it to learn in low wind days. Here in Hawaii we have a lot of high wind days, but it would be good to practice on low wind. I don't have a lot of money and lessons are 300 dollars a session. You don't even learn how to ride in 1 session, it takes multiple sessions just to learn how to stand up. I know you guys think this is a big joke, but I am dead serious on trying to learn, and the whole reason I bought off of craigslist is because I don't have 3000 to dish out on new equipment.
So, how did you manage to go from the above to the below in just 2 years?
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 am
I know for a fact that I am already better at kiting than you, and probably living way better than you ever will. I own a house, own a boat, and already close to being worth 7 figures. What the f*** do you do for a living? Sit on your ass all day collecting welfare? Collecting beer cans out of dumpsters so you can get 50 cents at the recycling center?
Ripping off newbies for used gear, as you brag below, does not sound efficient enough. ( and let's leave the integrity aspect aside)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389762
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389287

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:24 pm

Sandras wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:50 pm
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Are you guys saying the kite is too big? I bought it to learn in low wind days. Here in Hawaii we have a lot of high wind days, but it would be good to practice on low wind. I don't have a lot of money and lessons are 300 dollars a session. You don't even learn how to ride in 1 session, it takes multiple sessions just to learn how to stand up. I know you guys think this is a big joke, but I am dead serious on trying to learn, and the whole reason I bought off of craigslist is because I don't have 3000 to dish out on new equipment.
So, how did you manage to go from the above to the below in just 2 years?
LetsFlyaKite wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2017 1:50 am
I know for a fact that I am already better at kiting than you, and probably living way better than you ever will. I own a house, own a boat, and already close to being worth 7 figures. What the f*** do you do for a living? Sit on your ass all day collecting welfare? Collecting beer cans out of dumpsters so you can get 50 cents at the recycling center?
Ripping off newbies for used gear, as you brag below, does not sound efficient enough. ( and let's leave the integrity aspect aside)

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389762
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2389287
What are you talking about? It's none of your business what I sold my set up for.

And I can choose however I want to spend my money, especially if it's in something that I'm not sure I want to pursue. Sorry man, but your comment is pointless

Return to “Kitesurfing”