Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Just bought my first set up...

Forum for kitesurfers
Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Re: Just bought my first set up...

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:33 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:So if I had more experience would this kite still be useful? Or do you guys think it's totally worthless because it will always be a danger for someone my size?
I'm 180 lbs. the largest kite I enjoy flying is 14m.

darippah
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Weight: 165
Local Beach: New Jersey, USA
Style: Hydrofoil big air
Gear: Sonic 3 13m , Soul 7 and 10m
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby darippah » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:02 am

LetsFlyaKite wrote:So if I had more experience would this kite still be useful? Or do you guys think it's totally worthless because it will always be a danger for someone my size?
if you live in an area with light wind you will appreciate this kite when you have more experience

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:16 am

darippah wrote:
if you live in an area with light wind you will appreciate this kite when you have more experience
From your original post it seems that you may have an old 16m LF Havoc.(it is a hybrid kite)
If so, it is not really a light wind kite.. more like a kite for a heavy rider.
For someone of your weight it will either pull like a truck on gusts or fall out of sky on lulls (as it's quite heavy)..

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:18 am

darippah wrote:
I totally disagree, this kite will do nothing for you light wind or not. A kite like this at 140lbs will do nothng but pull you down wind like a train. Even after many years of practice. I've been here, trust what I am telling you. The biggest kite you should need is 12m. Maybe a 13m... But not now, now you need a 9m or a 10m and some instruction.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:36 am

With enough experience it might one day be useful, but it will be of limited value as it will ahve a narrow wind range where it is good for you.

Its a shame you didnt pos ton here before buying but its done now. For a new kiter, get a very large board and a smaller kite and work from there. Get another job or cut out other expenses this year in order to take lessons - you will seriously kill yourself without lessons; this sport is downright dangerous if you do not know what you are doing. If you are deadset on learning solo, at least buy a trainer kite and learn to fly a ktie and body drag on that, then resell it for a small loss. I originally bought a 4.5m trainer, learned basic kite mechanics and body dragging, resold it at a $100 loss and was able to start lessons at a much mroe advanced level - straight to water start basically as I had all of the rigging, kite theory, mechanics, etc. down pat.

The other approach to saving money on lessons - fly to Cabarete in the Dominican Republic, where lessons will be like $30/hr. Just go down for a week and you will come back a kiter. Airfares are cheap on Spirit and JetBlue and lodging/food is very cheap there.

Thor SFBay
Medium Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave, California
Favorite Beaches: Bolinas, CA
Style: freeride
Gear: Naish Park kites, Naish Haze board
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Thor SFBay » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:04 am

dracop wrote:
LetsFlyaKite wrote: The other approach to saving money on lessons - fly to Cabarete in the Dominican Republic, where lessons will be like $30/hr. Just go down for a week and you will come back a kiter. Airfares are cheap on Spirit and JetBlue and lodging/food is very cheap there.
What?!?!? I doubt that airfare and lodging would cost less than one beginner lesson. That's all you really need to get started.

The cheapest way to get into kiting is to practice on a trainer kite, take that first lesson at your local kite area, and then buy used gear (2010 or newer to get all the latest safety features). Buying used gear without the lesson means you will likely get the wrong equipment. (The instructor will most likely be happy to answer questions about what gear you will need). Trying that used gear without that first lesson means you will likely destroy the gear or injure yourself, both of which are costly.

In the USA, I would estimate that buying all the gear you need new plus one lesson would cost about $3500 in most locations. But if you bought used, I bet you could buy a trainer kite, one kite, harness, and board plus beginner lesson for under $1000 if you were patient. If that's still too much, take up a different sport instead.

The fact that you (the OP) bought a 16m kite at your weight tells me that you have already made a huge mistake and will likely make more fatal ones if you try to learn on your own.

jb92563
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Lake Elsinore, CA
Belmont Shores, CA
Gear: Blade FatLadyV4 17m, North Rhino7 12m, 16m
Brand Affiliation: Band-Aid

Postby jb92563 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:39 pm

You should let us know where you will be kiting so someone can offer a few lessons to get you started on the right foot, and to save the site from banning kiters, as hurting other people is the fastest way to lose a kiting site.

You should take lessons, and if you can't afford them then you need to make friends at the local kiting site and barter something for some kite lessons from a local or instructor.

You definitely have too big a kite to be safe.

I did the same thing, bought gear off ebay before the lessons and tried some kiting on my own.
(I will be taking lessons soon but couldn't resist the urge to put a kite up in light 5-10mph winds and learned that lessons are going to be mandatory due to the amazing power of such big kites)

I'm 220lbs and found a 12m kite a handfull in 10mph winds until I started learning a few techniques.

The 16m at your 140lbs is going to get you busted up really fast if you don't get help.

I can also say that the "Kitesurfing Progression Videos" are great and will show you a lot of stuff you need to learn so get those and study them carefully as well.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:46 pm

Well I've decided I'm going to see about borrowing a trainer kite and take lessons :x . I really hate paying someone who is there to make a profit off someone with no skill to pay their bills... But I guess it's nessacery if I want to figure out what size kite I'm going to need and what the average wind conditions are around here....

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone, I probably would have ended up dead if I would have tried to fly by myself...

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Laughingman » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:57 pm

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Well I've decided I'm going to see about borrowing a trainer kite and take lessons :x . I really hate paying someone who is there to make a profit off someone with no skill to pay their bills... But I guess it's nessacery if I want to figure out what size kite I'm going to need and what the average wind conditions are around here....

Thanks for the helpful advice everyone, I probably would have ended up dead if I would have tried to fly by myself...
awesome, if you are in SWO I have a trainer kite you can borrow

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:03 pm

Where are you located? ....How many other kiters are in your area?
You need to be taught how to do this, we all agree you cannot figure it out by looking at Youtube videos.
So become the guy who hangs around at the local kiting spot.
Then become the guy who hangs around the local kiting spot and brings beer.
You will soon have local friends who can give you very specific advise on the best sizes and brands and models for your local conditions.
Some of them will very likely have good used gear for sale.
One or two of them might even be kind enough to teach you and save you from getting hurt or killed.
If you are in a spot with zero other kiters, I question whether it is worth taking up the sport in your area anyway.

Return to “Kitesurfing”