Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Just bought my first set up...

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:29 am

Hello everyone, this is my first time on the forums, as well as my first step into the sport. I am super excited to start learning. I just bought a set up off craigslist, and need to know what kind of conditions you guys reccomend I take my gear under. The kite is a 16m Liquid Force Hybrid and board. I weigh 140 lbs. My name is Curtis, I am an a very cool guy that has great potential, and I appreciate whatever kind of helpful advice anyone might have, thanks.
Last edited by LetsFlyaKite on Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Just bought my first set up...

Postby tautologies » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:32 am

unless you are trolling here is a free piece of advice that you'll hear a few times:

TAKE A LESSON.

No ifs or anything like that. Just do it.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,

Postby clint2070 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:42 am

Hes right. If you dont take a lesson the least thats going to happen is youll spend more money fixing your gear than you would have on a lesson. What year and model is your gear ?

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:12 am

a 16 is a pretty big kite to start.

What wind conditions are you expecting?

And yes, take lessons...much cheaper than the hospital bill !

Frank82
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wijk aan Zee, IJburg, Schellinkhout, Medemblik - Netherlands
Style: freestyle / wakestyle / big air / wave
Gear: Eleveight

Postby Frank82 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:27 pm

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Lessons are a must. That kite will work in 12-15mph and will want to kill you in 16+

IanNJ
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Brigantine NJ
Favorite Beaches: Brigantine, LBI, Kite Island NJ, Caberate, Hatteras
Style: Wave/freestyle
Gear: Currently rocking a 12/10/8 CORE GTS3 for waves and wake. Cabrinha Velocity 13/10/7 for Foil.
Boards: LF 139 Element with LFK boots and no fins, SlingShot/MHL NF2 Strapless Foil, CORE Ripper 2 5'10", Cabrinha Secrete weapon 5'10", Slingshot 5'6" Angry Swallow
Brand Affiliation: www.NewJerseyKiteboarding.com and www.GreenHatKiteboarding.com

Postby IanNJ » Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Ps. Buying on craigslist is a horrible idea unless you have a solid kiter pointing you in the right direction.

LetsFlyaKite
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Aggressive
Gear: Nothing Yet

Postby LetsFlyaKite » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:44 pm

Are you guys saying the kite is too big? I bought it to learn in low wind days. Here in Hawaii we have a lot of high wind days, but it would be good to practice on low wind. I don't have a lot of money and lessons are 300 dollars a session. You don't even learn how to ride in 1 session, it takes multiple sessions just to learn how to stand up. I know you guys think this is a big joke, but I am dead serious on trying to learn, and the whole reason I bought off of craigslist is because I don't have 3000 to dish out on new equipment.
Last edited by LetsFlyaKite on Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:07 pm

Yes, most people here are saying the kite is too big, and I will add my voice to that belief. A school will most likely teach you with a trainer first, and then when you display sufficient competence will take you to try and water-start, but it will be something a lot smaller than a 16m.
I'm sure almost everyone here wants nothing other than you to become a safe, proficient, and happy kiter, but your way of doing things so far seems a little unorthodox.
You don't want to be told to take lessons because of the cost but they might seem cheap compared to the cost of trashing what you have brought or the time you spend healing after an accident, of course there's also the issue of the harm your avoidable incompetence might do to others too.
Consider for a second what the overwhelming majority here are telling you, assume for a moment they are nice well meaning people who have more kite experience than you.... are we all wrong and you right?

Take care ... and I really mean that.

LetsFlyaKite wrote:Are you guys saying the kite is too big? I bought it to learn in low wind days. I don't have a lot of money and lessons are 300 dollars a session. You don't even learn how to ride in 1 session, it takes multiple sessions just to learn how to stand up. I know you guys think this is a big joke, but I am dead serious on trying to learn, and the whole reason I bought off of craigslist is because I don't have 3000 to dish out on new equipment. And I am not just going to let my equipment sit here and collect dust, I am going to ride it dammit
Last edited by windybrit on Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:19 pm

most of us learned with a 16 meter and no lessons, you can do it with extreme attention .
use it with 12 14 knots no more .
large and long beach with no obstacle around
do not go alone
chek always weather forecast ,better playing when wind decreasing .
always concentrate ,give up when start getting tired
do not be easy
never with gust
of course if you spend some lessons much better

Return to “Kitesurfing”