Forum for kitesurfers
jb74
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Portugal - Lisbon

Postby jb74 » Mon May 11, 2015 10:03 pm

fredmendes wrote:I used to kite most of the time at Nova Vaga, but I was told it will be exclusively for kite lessons this summer.

The next beach from Nova Vaga (going south), praia da Bela Vista, seems to be open to kitesurfing this year, and I believe there is at least one school there already, you can check the following link which has a map with the location.

http://www.waves4life.pt/#!contactos/c19rm

As already said, Guincho is probably the most consistent during the summer months, the waves are smaller during the summer but the wind can be strong and gusty at times.

Regarding Jardim do Campo Grande, it's a joke, it's in the middle of the city...

If you want to stay within 50 Km and a kite spot with a school it's either Guincho or Costa da Caparica (Praia da Bela Vista or Fonte da Telha, Praia da Nova Vaga I won't guarantee will have open access to any kiter).
Are you sure about Nova Vaga? For beginners only in 2015? I'm about to plan all my vacation around this spot. I mean we'll rent a car but I'm looking for accommodation close to Nova Vaga as we planned to ride mainly at this spot. But your words gave me second thoughts. Do you know from where can I get closer info in this subject?

ZeTomate
Rare Poster

Postby ZeTomate » Tue May 12, 2015 8:56 am

jb74 wrote:
fredmendes wrote:I used to kite most of the time at Nova Vaga, but I was told it will be exclusively for kite lessons this summer.

The next beach from Nova Vaga (going south), praia da Bela Vista, seems to be open to kitesurfing this year, and I believe there is at least one school there already, you can check the following link which has a map with the location.

http://www.waves4life.pt/#!contactos/c19rm

As already said, Guincho is probably the most consistent during the summer months, the waves are smaller during the summer but the wind can be strong and gusty at times.

Regarding Jardim do Campo Grande, it's a joke, it's in the middle of the city...

If you want to stay within 50 Km and a kite spot with a school it's either Guincho or Costa da Caparica (Praia da Bela Vista or Fonte da Telha, Praia da Nova Vaga I won't guarantee will have open access to any kiter).
Are you sure about Nova Vaga? For beginners only in 2015? I'm about to plan all my vacation around this spot. I mean we'll rent a car but I'm looking for accommodation close to Nova Vaga as we planned to ride mainly at this spot. But your words gave me second thoughts. Do you know from where can I get closer info in this subject?
Just move to the beach left to Nova Vaga. You will have a lot of sand to mount your kite. Just ignore the naked people on the beach :D

NGE
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Costa Da caparica
Favorite Beaches: Costa Da caparica
Style: Freestyle
Gear: RRD

Postby NGE » Tue May 12, 2015 12:44 pm

Tiago1973 wrote:"eternally thankful"? I like that! :-)
the shallow water locations I know, lagoons and stuff like that, are off limites to kitesurf on the summer months, so you will need to stick with the ocean

Try "Praia da Nova Vaga, Costa da Caparica", or "Fonte da Telha, Costa da Caparica" in Lisbon south margin

Guincho, nearby Cascais, from Lisbon to the West, is another alternative spot, but even when mellow is not a totally easy spot. Fantastic views in any case, so worth a checking.

some links for Nova Vaga (Costa Caparica):
https://www.google.com/search?q=praia+d ... d=0CAUQ_AU

Any question shout - it´s Friday and I´m procrastinating
Lots of portuguese here lol ...

The information that Capi have shared with you, its probably a joke, forget that place .

and the information that Tiago have wrote is correct .
Lagoons at Summer you cannot use it .
The only place is at Beach :
Nova Vaga
/ Fonte Da telha
/ Bela Vista (its between Nova vaga - Fonte da telha , and its a nudism spot )

Best Regards,
Dionisio Luis

fredmendes
Rare Poster

Postby fredmendes » Tue May 12, 2015 4:40 pm

jb74 wrote:Are you sure about Nova Vaga? For beginners only in 2015? I'm about to plan all my vacation around this spot. I mean we'll rent a car but I'm looking for accommodation close to Nova Vaga as we planned to ride mainly at this spot. But your words gave me second thoughts. Do you know from where can I get closer info in this subject?
The closest information you can get is what is written in the "Edital da capitania do porto de Lisboa", which is what has been written but the Lisbon harbor captain (which has jurisdiction over the Costa da Caparica beaches). What it states regarding Nova Vaga is that:

- There is a 50 meter strip of beach where kitesurf is allowed, for lessons (the only school allowed there) and other kitesurfers in general;

- The kitesurfing activity is under the supervision of the only school that is allowed to teach there, meaning they have to supervise and control the number of kitesurfers on the water at any given moment to ensure there are no safety issues.

I don't want to take any rushed conclusions, but 50 meters of beach for kitesurfing is a very small space, if you consider that there might be up to 2 instructors teaching classes at the same time, how many kitesurfers will the school allow to go in the water to ensure there are no safety issues?

But has the last poster said, just drive 100 or 200 meter more and go to praia da Bela Vista where there is 300 meter of beach where kitesurfing is allowed. It is indeed a nudist beach (and known for the gay activity), but they won't do anything to you unless you want to!

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding

Postby Tiago1973 » Tue May 12, 2015 6:07 pm

the new set-up is pretty much Capi´s love dream :superfly:

by other hand now is actually legal to kitesurf in the designated areas without having to guard a certain distance from land

the captain´s notice goes as far as telling the other beachgoers that they can still use the area for baths and stuff, but they need to consider it´s a kite surf area and as such not totally safe

pretty cool

jb74
Rare Poster

Postby jb74 » Wed May 13, 2015 1:35 pm

fredmendes wrote:
jb74 wrote:Are you sure about Nova Vaga? For beginners only in 2015? I'm about to plan all my vacation around this spot. I mean we'll rent a car but I'm looking for accommodation close to Nova Vaga as we planned to ride mainly at this spot. But your words gave me second thoughts. Do you know from where can I get closer info in this subject?
The closest information you can get is what is written in the "Edital da capitania do porto de Lisboa", which is what has been written but the Lisbon harbor captain (which has jurisdiction over the Costa da Caparica beaches). What it states regarding Nova Vaga is that:

- There is a 50 meter strip of beach where kitesurf is allowed, for lessons (the only school allowed there) and other kitesurfers in general;

- The kitesurfing activity is under the supervision of the only school that is allowed to teach there, meaning they have to supervise and control the number of kitesurfers on the water at any given moment to ensure there are no safety issues.

I don't want to take any rushed conclusions, but 50 meters of beach for kitesurfing is a very small space, if you consider that there might be up to 2 instructors teaching classes at the same time, how many kitesurfers will the school allow to go in the water to ensure there are no safety issues?

But has the last poster said, just drive 100 or 200 meter more and go to praia da Bela Vista where there is 300 meter of beach where kitesurfing is allowed. It is indeed a nudist beach (and known for the gay activity), but they won't do anything to you unless you want to!
Fredmendes, ZeTomate – thank you.
If you say that at Bela Vista kitesurfing is allowed then I’m a bit released 
Just out of curiosity, how comes that in one beach (Nova Vaga) Kitesurfing is restricted to a certain area and 200-300 meters away (Bela Vista) is allowed without any restrictions (?)
I’m just asking as I want to be sure that I won’t go against any local law. In certain countries I saw posts/signs, stating clearly whether kitesurfing is allowed on that beach or not. Do you have something similar in Portugal ? Or these are inside information which can be found in similar forums only like this one….?

fredmendes
Rare Poster

Postby fredmendes » Wed May 13, 2015 1:56 pm

http://www.amn.pt/DGAM/Capitanias/Lisbo ... 202015.pdf

As I've said before, it is an official document, you have the link above. It's a scanned document, so it's not possible to copy and paste into some translator.

tolvsbo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: where ther's wind
Gear: naish and nobile

Postby tolvsbo » Wed May 13, 2015 2:03 pm

Lagoa de Albufeira

https://www.google.no/maps/@38.4678511, ... !1e3?hl=sv

Kitecamps there , but unsure of local schools.

great flatwaterspot on the inside for beginners.
thermal winds on warm days

good waves on the outside :-)

Capi
Medium Poster

Postby Capi » Wed May 13, 2015 3:32 pm

3i - Mega Lol

if you want to kitesurf around Lisbon you have to: carry a 50x50 cms orange flag, a whistle or a safety light stick

Very important: If you planning to go Bela Vista beach and further south south beaches you better be prepared for some sexual harassment.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

ZeTomate
Rare Poster

Postby ZeTomate » Wed May 13, 2015 4:38 pm

Bela Vista is the latest beach with lifeguard surveillance. After this is no man's land.....be aware of the naked people..... :rollgrin:

Return to “Kitesurfing”