Style: Wave and Old School
Gear: Switchblade/Nomad/Drifter/Pivot/Rebel/Nitro
Underground FLX 132
F-One Mitu Monteiro Pro
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Just another death loop

Postby Lanc » Mon May 11, 2015 6:51 am

Hopefully someone who watches this will learn from this guys mistakes.

Looks like it all went wrong trying to self launch directly upwind of other kiters by pulling on the wrong side of the bar. Then the steering line gets hooked in the harness hook.

At least he got all three Gopros to start recording at the same time.

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Re: Just another death loop

Postby pmaggie » Mon May 11, 2015 8:24 am

I'm happy you didn't get hurt!
Anyway, another "good" example of what I use to say: muscle memory of the QR, experience and so on are all good things but sometimes they just don't work. It's time for a device that is able to istantly kill the kite, no matter how. Now, as usual, now several posts will explain how to avoid this, will underline the mistakes of the rider etc. Here in Italy we call this "il senno di poi", that means "the cleverness of the day after".

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Mon May 11, 2015 9:13 am

pmaggie wrote:I'm happy you didn't get hurt!
Anyway, another "good" example of what I use to say: muscle memory of the QR, experience and so on are all good things but sometimes they just don't work. It's time for a device that is able to istantly kill the kite, no matter how. Now, as usual, now several posts will explain how to avoid this, will underline the mistakes of the rider etc. Here in Italy we call this "il senno di poi", that means "the cleverness of the day after".
People will always find a way to not use the safety system.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/452732.stm

kas911
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby kas911 » Mon May 11, 2015 2:03 pm

"il senno di poi" :roll: well in Denamark we call it "efterrationalisering" That means try to understand the event and what happened so hopefully no one else will end up in this crappy mess

thanks for sharing the video to the youtube uploader. looked horrible :o

vkngktr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Favorite Beaches: NY, Hatteras, Hawaii
Style: Surf, Freeride
Gear: AirRush, Amundson Customs

Postby vkngktr » Mon May 11, 2015 2:53 pm

Do NOT hook in when self launching your kite!

JGTR
Very Frequent Poster

Postby JGTR » Mon May 11, 2015 2:59 pm

vkngktr wrote:Do NOT hook in when self launching your kite!
In reality this is impractical and not a good idea, you will have little or no control of sheeting and if a gust hits or the kite pulls there is a good chance that you will not let go.

Self launching is very safe if you do it properly, the guy in that video did not hence he got into trouble.

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Mon May 11, 2015 3:12 pm

why since I see next to kite another guy that could assist you try by yourself.
clearly you don't know how to do it... and when you mess up, you don't let the bar, but you are fully sheet in? nothing would have happened. instead you through yourself over the bar and tangle the lines...
I want go in the argument to quick release... but why not to just let the bar go???

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon May 11, 2015 3:22 pm

kas911 wrote:"il senno di poi" :roll: well in Denamark we call it "efterrationalisering" That means try to understand the event and what happened so hopefully no one else will end up in this crappy mess
Well, in italian the meaning is slightly different: it means that the day after it's very easy to give advices and explanations. The difficult thing is surviving the nightmare the very moment you're living it...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 11, 2015 3:48 pm

dimip wrote:why since I see next to kite another guy that could assist you try by yourself.
clearly you don't know how to do it... and when you mess up, you don't let the bar, but you are fully sheet in? nothing would have happened. instead you through yourself over the bar and tangle the lines...
I want go in the argument to quick release... but why not to just let the bar go???
Actually he did, even better, he pushed it all the way out at the stopper (see 4:25) with straight arms so it would not turn the kite even if dragged.

The problem came when he tumbled forward over a board and landed so the rear line got stuck in his spreader bar hook.
That would have happened even if he let it go, seing the video :roll:

The initial problem, WHAT causes the kite to turn, must be either a linekink, or a line over a wingtip.
These often (but not always) sort themeselves out when under load, or when flown into the ground - but in this case, when if it did (it looks like it sorted itself out), it was too late as the rear leaderline was stuck in the hook :cry:

I think it is a great video to visualize what CAN go wrong, easy, that you would not have even considered :rollgrin:

8) Peter

PS: This is the very reason why I most often avoid slide launches (have tried above several times, just without getting it caught in the hook), but prefer using a stake which IMO is often safer than an assisted launch :thumb:

laz
Very Frequent Poster

Postby laz » Mon May 11, 2015 4:15 pm

Test out your safety systems. If it does not work 100% of the time get a better bar/lines system. I have had my kite tangle and deathloop with a slingshot bar and the safety system did its job in flagging out the kite instantly. On a best bar I have pulled safety and had it take a couple tugs to work. Also always carry a kite knife attached to harness as a last resort.

Saying do not hook in is not practical and can actually be very dangerous.

Also I will add i personally try to avoid self launching by dragging the kite in high winds. It is fine in lighter winds but in high winds it is always best to have a person launch for you.

Return to “Kitesurfing”