Rare Poster
Gear: F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tips and advice on 4 students : 1 instructor

Postby johnreeves » Sat May 23, 2015 11:02 am

Hi guys,

I've travelled to many places to teach, but have always preferred one kite, two students, one instructor. However, the next school I'll be joining for the winter season, will teach 4 students on 2 kites, and one instructor - so can anybody share their advice / method of teaching for this setup?

Thanks so much.

Best, John

evila
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish Park 12
Naish Motion Board 138
North Transformer Harness

Re: Tips and advice on 4 students : 1 instructor

Postby evila » Sat May 23, 2015 11:47 am

Not sure about the number of students, but two kites one instructor sounds kinda risky!

maurice_k
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Banda Aceh Indonesia
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, Paros Banda Aceh
Style: waves
Gear: RRD

Postby maurice_k » Sat May 23, 2015 12:10 pm

evila wrote:Not sure about the number of students, but two kites one instructor sounds kinda risky!

Hi John,

It works great at our school. We do have 4 students on 2 kites with 1 Instructor. This can be done with Short-lines!

If you want you can use an assistant but normally it is not necessary with short lines.

Look at this if you doubt from the IKO. :http://ikointl.com/kiteboard-instructor-level-2

The short line technique will give your students minimal 'pull' and therefore it is safer with a direct handling of the kites as were they flying normal kites. How further they come with their progression how longer lines you attach ( with extensions) then when they are on water start, you can give them long lines but still not necessary. It will pull them out of the water anyway.

Make sure that your 2th person is holding the flying person in the back. Also try to put 1 good one with one slightly one who is struggling. Make sure you will in all times you take control if it is needed and your lesson schedule needs to be ' Tip-Top.

Hope this helps.

Summer is here www.seabreezekiteclub.com

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat May 23, 2015 2:42 pm

The only time I've taught 4 students by myself is during a land lesson with power kites. Multiple power kites on land with that many students is usually fine. However, I don't think a 4-to-1 ratio in any context is conducive to maximum learning -- i.e., the instructor is spread too thin.

In the water, 4-to-1 with multiple kites is too risky. I would never use more than 1 LEI kite with or without short lines, and I frequently teach on short lines (15 m) for the reasons given in the earlier post. But more than 1 LEI kite in the air means inexperienced students are going to be on their own, will inevitably become separated, and the instructor can only attend to 1 at a time. The only reason why a school would allow a 4-to-1 lesson is that the school owner wants to maximize income and minimize expense without regard to consequences. In this case, the increased risk of injury to students, damage to equipment, and liability for the school and instructor is too great.

PASA III Instructor - 7 years

Kitehatteras
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Cape Hatteras
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby Kitehatteras » Sat May 23, 2015 2:59 pm

FLandOBX is absolutely correct, bin teaching since 1998. Don't do it to make extra money, completely irresponsible in my opinion!

www.kitehatteras.net

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Sat May 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Yah I agree. 0 years teaching but from a consumers point of view I would not pay for the pleasure or ever recommend a school which teaches 4:2:1
Tip. Find another school to work for. If they have this level of disregard for their students imagine how they will treat you.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Sat May 23, 2015 8:54 pm

I agree with the last 3 posters. There is NOTHING that is going to be BETTER for the students by going 4/2/1. NOTHING. They are going to get less instruction and be put in danger. I got put in this situation once with a father and son that insisted on going at the same time with 2 kites on their 2nd lesson. That worked out terribly when they both ended up with the kites down and getting dragged into deep water. How exactly do you take care of 2 simultaneous bad situations? You don't. The only beneficiary in this scenario is the school. :nono:

I would tell you to go work somewhere else. It's not worth the danger and potential liability you're going to get saddled with. Good luck.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun May 24, 2015 12:20 am

best lessons: 1 student : 1 instructor

:thumb: to all schools who do it like that...this is QUALITY !

And quality has its price.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Sun May 24, 2015 1:52 am

Sounds like a kook factory.

robertovillate
Very Frequent Poster

Postby robertovillate » Sun May 24, 2015 3:22 am

I agree with FLandOBX and the others of similar opinion. I've taught in many places, with short lines, standard lines, etc...etc...I've been teacing for over 10 years independently and for other schools, some of whom wanted me to teach multiple students with one instructor. It is OK with the trainer kite segment, but as soon as you get to flying a full size kite in the water it is much more safe to limit it to 2 students-1 kite-1 instructor max. IMO It is only fair to the student to do it this way in terms of safety, attention from the instructor, opportunity for progression, courtesy to others on the beach. If you have a good assistant kite-boy/kite-girl who really knows whats up more than 2 students might be OK if the teaching environement is ideal

There have been some situations, e.g. when a group of 4 friends wants to do the lesson together...if I agree to that I make it clear that it will be a long day...adding 1-2 hrs for each additional students beyond my standard limit of 2. It's the only way to make sure everyone has a chance to do all the fundamental training. I often see that in large groups that the essentials of self rescue are completely glossed over, as are many other useful skills/knowledge. Unfortunately it takes time to cover that and do the practicals. You can only squeeze so much experience into a 3-4 hour lesson...and it's obvious that the more students per instructor the worse this is going to get. It always amazes me when I see someone sitting in the water and not showing any clue whatsoever of how to self rescue, even though they have the basics of riding sorted...or people lacking even the simplest beach and water safety/etiquette.

The other issue is that not everyone who wants to learn how to kitesurf has good "watermans" instincts. When you mix 4 individuals together you are going to see a wide range of athletic abilities, physical attributes, water skills, or lack thereof of all of these qualities. Again...it's not fair to the students to just mix them up randomly and expect that they get the most of the lesson. I look at each student very individually and try to tailor the lesson to them as much as I can. With more than 2 students this becomes very difficult regardless of time constraints.
Last edited by robertovillate on Tue May 26, 2015 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”