Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: skimboard choice

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:14 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:14 pm
TheJoe wrote:
Sat May 30, 2015 5:49 am
I used to have a Zap skim board but some one walked off with it one day. I now have a Phase 5 wake surfer skim. Both are the same company. Any skim will work if it is big enough. You are correct they are great for building up your balance. I personally would not buy one from a kite company as they charge too much for them. Just grab one from ebay. You can check out loosethestraps.com (not sure if that is the exact site been awhile since I was on the site). They have a section for skimboards only.
Bob from Phase 5/Zap makes a sick board. I've been using his stuff for 15 years. Personally, I stay away from carbon. Too stiff in my opinion. losethestraps.com is the spot.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 pm

Skim is amazing for super shallow water but for actual waves you want a surfboard.

My idea board is the Nobile Infinity Split Foil, great for travel, foiling, and decent surf

Snapback
Rare Poster
Gear: RPM - Asylum
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Snapback » Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 am

thank you! i S- Glass in terms of stifness between carbon and E-Glass or just about the same as Carbon?

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:36 am

I think s-glass is still very close to normal glass for stiffness, not in carbon's league. but consider carefully if you need it stiff or with resilience.

Snapback
Rare Poster

Postby Snapback » Wed Jun 27, 2018 2:07 pm

so you would also go with s-glass then? in choppier conditions it would surely be better i think..

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:30 pm

Snapback wrote:
Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:20 am
thank you! i S- Glass in terms of stifness between carbon and E-Glass or just about the same as Carbon?
This conversation is going to get pretty big and, fortunately for those who do not like to read my long posts, I do not have much to definitively say on it. My advice is for you to look up the properties - Tensile strength, Stiffness, Impact resistance of S-glass vs Kevlar (Aramids) vs carbon. There are also some other properties like UV resistance that come into play.

Here are some links to get you started:

https://www.rockwestcomposites.com/blog ... is-better/

https://www.christinedemerchant.com/car ... rison.html

Stiffness IS NOT ALWAYS A GOOD TRADE OFF FOR IMPACT RESISTANCE!

My choice is S-glass since I can't get Basalt.
I have Kevlar and have used it, but I shy away from it as I have never gotten around to buying shears for it (PITA TO CUT WITHOUT).
Carbon is not something I want to build with, or own, since I am heavy, a bit careless........somewhat unlucky.......................and hard on gear.
Last edited by Matteo V on Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:38 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:36 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 10:24 pm
Skim is amazing for super shallow water but for actual waves you want a surfboard.
My feelings (and experience) exactly. But don't be afraid to broaden your horizons trying something most of us will tell you (the OP) you won't like. You actually may be in the minority of kiters that enjoy kiteskimming in the surf.

Snapback
Rare Poster

Postby Snapback » Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:13 pm

https://vimeo.com/231685962

just looks too much fun! as we don't really have waves in my country i normally ride choppy water or some small wind waves. skims are just fun to ride and flick around, but i think i'll wait to get a custom one until i rode it in 20+ knots to see how it deals with that.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:47 pm

I love skimming in the waves, much more fun in small surf than a surfboard. I love them on big waves too l-) Floaters on a skim are like nothing else. You can also do all the skate like tricks on the wave face. I am drooling thinking about it :-)

Snapback
Rare Poster

Postby Snapback » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:53 pm

i see your favorite beach is tarifa, did you use it there too? in poniente wind there are small waves and 15-20kn winds, it would be perfect for it! i will travel to tarifa for 3 weeks, as my surfboard is broken i consider just taking my skim. i'm a bit concerned that on levante days it will be too strong/choppy for a skim. i could go to other spots with less wind of course..

what skim do you ride?

Return to “Kitesurfing”