Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: skimboard choice

Postby Slappysan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:57 am

Snapback wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:04 pm
i ride a e-glass skimboard at the moment but as i like it i want to buy a custom one. i'm not sure if i should go with a carbon one or s- or e-glass. can anyone who rides a carbon one how they behave in choppier conditions? what would you recommend?
I ride my skim in LW a lot but usually in very shallow water.

I've been riding a double carbon exile DC for about 3 years and while I love it in the shallows in the chop it's just too much for my old man knees.

I recently inherited an old Zed polyester skim and it has so much more flex. I've only had it out for one session so far but it seems much easier on the knees.

I would probably say go with S-glass. I like my carbon board because of how light weight it is but it's just a bit too stiff for any chop.

Here's some video of the kind of conditions I like to ride my DC in:
https://youtu.be/mS6xY8NK8h8?t=69

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: skimboard choice

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:04 am

Just spent a week in Hatteras with the family and could only fit my 9m ultra and a skim. Great time in 15-20knots and chest to head high waves almost every day. Super difficult doing bottom turns on the bigger sets but a great challenge and small package for transport. You can do shove-its on the face of the waves and throw lots of spray too so it's really a good time but lots of wipeouts

Return to “Kitesurfing”