Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid

Lockable tie downs for board bag

Postby stephk » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:25 pm

Hi,

Can anyone recommend lockable tie downs for strapping a board bag to my car roof rack?
I have seen many on the market but I would like a second, third or fourth opinion!
Yakima
Thule
FCS

These are only a few that I have seen. I am interested in 8ft long with some sort of steel braiding t oprevent cutting with a knife.

Thanks!

Stephan

mdksniper
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Long Beach Island, NJ
Gear: Naish Rides, BRM Cloud 17, Litewave kiteboards
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lockable tie downs for board bag

Postby mdksniper » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:28 pm

I have the Kanulocks. They work very well. They are very easy to clamp down and they have two pieces of steel inside of the webbing.

norcom
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:03 pm

I have the Kanulocks and the Yakima Ripcord.

The Kanulocks have two stainless steel cables inside the strap. The Ripcord has one cable and it's sandwiched inside a plastic sleeve. Because of that I would guess the RipCord is not stainless. The Kanulocks are a lot more supple compared to the Ripcord because they lack the plastic sleeve.

In my old version of Kanulocks, the steel cable sat right on the outside of the lock and the steel cables slipped past the lock. It could have been cut with a knife right next to the lock. Kanulock sent me replacement straps but I had to pay for shipping. The newer version has a better design.

The old Kanulocks buckles are a bit of a pain to use. The key is SMALL and lots of times took some wrangling to actually open. The RipCord locking mechanism is much bigger and simpler. Kanulocks are held in the buckle with some folding and sewing. RipCords are held together with pressed aluminum piece.

They're both ONLY designed to keep honest people honest. I could cut through these with a pair of $2 cutters in less than a minute. They give me a peace of mind on the highway because of the steel cord, that's about it.

If I needed another set, I would probably go with RipCords unless the Kanulocks buckles/locks have improved. But they're both OK and have lasted over a few years.

sflinux
Frequent Poster

Postby sflinux » Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:56 pm

I have been using a product call SPT (which looks identical to Kanulock).
http://www.supglobal.com/stand-up-paddl ... eview.html
I do have a couple gripes with the SPT straps is the black key can bend while locking the strap. The loop on the top of the key, which connects to a key chain, is thin and broke on mine and the key was lost. The keys for the Kanulocks look better.
As norcom said, if someone wants your gear they will get it with the right tools. It gives me peace of mind while on the freeway & while making brief stops in stores away from my car.
At the time, I bought mine, steelcore straps was the alternative but they have since been discontinued.
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/steelcore ... 2foot.html
Personally I had a bad experience with Yakima products and am now using Inno. Inno offers a lockable tie down.
http://www.orsracksdirect.com/inno-ina4 ... ocker.html

marina
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Central Coast, California
Favorite Beaches: Central Coast, California
Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Ventana, Mexico
Oregon Coast
Baja Pacific Side
Peru
Style: waves, jumping and wiggling
Gear: mixed
Brand Affiliation: mixed

Postby marina » Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 pm

I have the FCS straps and they rock. Combo lock so no key to fumble with. Just don't screw up with setting up combo or forget it!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 33
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:01 am

Alternative option.
Get a locable roof box. Fit the whole board in it and kites etc.
Nothing is visable or gets wet. Plus you have more room in your car for other gear/people stuff.

I have this one.
http://www.roofbox.co.nz/traxer-8-6

jonnydiesel
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Peel Estuary
Favorite Beaches: Boggy Bay, Sandy Bay, GraveYards, Coronations, Augusta, Warnbro, Gnarloo, Avalon, Balian Indonesia, Mui Ne & Vang Tau Vietnam, Ras Sudr, Dahab
Style: Just having fun
Gear: Eleveight kites, Flysurfer Boards, Nomad 150)TT
Brand Affiliation: Exmoth Surf Centre WestOz Kiteboarding great service

Postby jonnydiesel » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:13 am

Kanulaocks are great you can buy them through the sebreeze shop.
great service & delivery

shawn13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Cherry Beach, Toronto
Sherkston, Lake Erie
Wasaga, Lake Huron
Favorite Beaches: In Order:
Mauritius, Soma Bay, Egypt/ Cape Town, SA/ Cayo Guillermo, Cuba/ Sherkston, Canada/ El Gouna, Egypt/ Paje, Zanzibar/ Oliphant, Canada/ Kalpitya/ Dakhla, Morocco/ Boracay, Philippines/ Sri Lanka/ Wasaga Beach, Canada
Style: Freeride/Race
Gear: Cabrinha

Postby shawn13 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:25 am

I have the SPT (Kanulocks) They are great!

stephk
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Oka, Quebec
Lachine, Quebec
Valois bay, Quebec
Pointe-Claire, Quebec
Venise en Quebec, Quebec
Favorite Beaches: Cape Cod
Waquoit bay, Cape Cod
Cape Hatteras, NC
Style: freeride
Gear: Epic, Cabrinha, Kiteaid

Postby stephk » Sat Jun 13, 2015 2:57 am

Thanks everyone for the help. Trying to plan this trip is a challenge! :) Well worth it though!
I think I may go with a Thule product. I have the SPT straps that look just like the Kanulock. Same company for sure... Anyhow, i found it annoying to get the lock to work. To engage to lock, the handle needs to clamp down on the strap with sewn in cables which was not always easy to do. If you did not squeeze the straps hard enough (lot of effort!!!) you would not be able to turn the key!!!
So this is why I do not have faith in the Kanulock. Did someone mention that they have a new key and system? I do not think the key was the problem though... the overall concept of having to pull really hard on the leaver to be able to lock is flawed!

The thing is, my roof is packed already. I have a box, 2 bikes, camping gear, two kids, 4 kites, 3 boards..oh, and a wife. ;)
This all has to fit in by subaru wagon. My plan is to pack the Box with the kites and camping gear in it. Move the two bikes over as much as possible towards the box and then tie down a board bag with my 3 boards.

I'll take pictures of the setup once i leave in a month and review the Thule straps in the same time.
Here is the link to the Thule product: http://www.amazon.ca/dp/B009LNVC40

Stephan

Return to “Kitesurfing”