Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Worth, FL
Jupiter, FL
Style: Freeride/surf
Gear: kites and boards
Brand Affiliation: None

frankenbar 5.0

Postby jespin4845 » Thu Jul 02, 2015 6:24 pm

i thought i should share this, i usually make a bar that i keep around and use a lot cause i am unhappy with certain bars,...kite companies take notes!

so i do use a lot of switch parts, but at the same time i use tid bits from other bars like the o shit handles from slingshot, slingshot lines, am steel chicken loop line etc....

recently i have acquired a core kite, and i am obsessed with the bar, however i fucking hate that its a high split Y and can't use it with my other kites....on franken bar 4.0 i used a switch bar which we all know is heavy and doesn't have the auto swivel that the core bar has

enter a spare core bar for 100 bucks, yes the switch one is 55, but u are paying for "core" premium here,...adjust the nuts on the switch chicken loop to a little looser than normal and voila!! it works just as good as the core bar with single front line release and a low V thanks to an airush front line splitter, cause lets face it, the only above the bar swivel that actually works is liquid force/mutiny/and sometimes wainman...(slingshot get rid of your shitty swivel or get a below the bar swivel)

now to make frankenbar 5.1, i would use the core velcro thingy and cleat adjuster, cause the switch one blows and i would also use best/ocean rodeo chicken loop line that has the bungee in it....but it might not last as long as amsteel

in addition the part with the highest weight is the chicken loop, but it does its job and is reliable

so perfect bar for me

slingshot lines/amsteel w/cleat adjuster/core bar (super light)/and switch chicken loop (if i can find a lighter one that works with my auto swivel i will replace, cause the core one does not have an ability to have a low V)
Attachments
IMG_0654.JPG

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: frankenbar 5.0

Postby sarc » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:50 am

Nice/ Can you tell us more about the nuts on Switch chicken loop? Why need loosening? I'm using Switch parts for my frankenbars too.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Jupiter, FL

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:11 am

need loosening just a little so it spins more freely with less friction, i guess i liked it a little tight on stock setting, now it spins just as freely as a core chicken loop

FYI the complete bar weight now is 2 lbs 3.4 ounces, the stock core sensor2+ bar weighs 2 lbs .4 ounces

so i guess the switch chicken loop isn't that much more heavy, also the switch cleat prob weighs a little more than the core plastic cleat...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:33 am

Put a thrust bearing in the Switch hand swivel. I use them on my FS Infinity bars, works a treat.

jespin4845
Very Frequent Poster
Jupiter, FL

Postby jespin4845 » Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:05 pm

Can you recommend what thrust bearing? So far it works pretty good, but im all for smoother

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby L0KI » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Don't think there is room for a thrust bearing on that.

i96dansa
Rare Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby i96dansa » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 am

Love the topic.
I'm also a bar-o-filiae.
I use the f-one monolith bar 52cm with a Naish chickenloop and sheet line but with the liquid force mutiny swivel on top.
Works a charm.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:15 am

Do you have a picture of how you have the airush block and depower hooked up? What is the distance from the base of the cl box to the line exit? Thanks in advance. I've been wanting to overhaul my bar and I think I could be pleased with some of the parts you've chosen.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:14 am

jespin4845 wrote:Can you recommend what thrust bearing? So far it works pretty good, but im all for smoother
Lots of discussion on that in the past at foil zone.com, "infinity bar pimpin" thread... I ended up using these, measured to fit: http://www.torquetrans.com/metric-stain ... t-bearings
OnB wrote:Don't think there is room for a thrust bearing on that.
I haven't looked under the cap of the new one so that might be true. The v1 had a nylon washer and a Nyloc nut... heaps of room.

Something else to check and replace though...

L0KI
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: .

Postby L0KI » Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:51 am

Kami - If the V1 would take the bearing, then I would guess the new one would too.
I don't think that part changed on the new bar.

Return to “Kitesurfing”