Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Switch Nitro review?

forum for kitesurfers

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Nitro review?

Postby Faxie » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:18 am

dimip wrote:
Do-it wrote:Be nice to know what you switch hitters were riding before you made the switch???? And that means more than ten sessions, not a 30 min demo. Direct comparisons would be an added bonus. I'm getting sick of the bullshit. Jumps higher, further and loops harder........ than what????? Compare it to your second favorite kite....... if you have previously owned one.
It's switch Nitro review not switch vs something else. It's a category on it's own :baby: :cool2: :thumb:
But since you ask I have the chance to test (and buy if I want to at the same price) the major (what is considered top brands) North, cabrinha, slingshot, naish and find switchkites suits me better and the fact that they are made at the same quality or even better. Having said, iI am not married to any brand and I may choose something else in the near future cause I have start using surfboard also....
Any suggestions for something that will boost, loop, float on twin tip but it will also work for onshore conditions on a surfboard?
Switch Element :thumb: :lol:

nothing2seehere
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Gear: Kitesurfing and windsurfing

Postby nothing2seehere » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:49 am

dimip wrote:
Do-it wrote:Be nice to know what you switch hitters were riding before you made the switch???? And that means more than ten sessions, not a 30 min demo. Direct comparisons would be an added bonus. I'm getting sick of the bullshit. Jumps higher, further and loops harder........ than what????? Compare it to your second favorite kite....... if you have previously owned one.
It's switch Nitro review not switch vs something else. It's a category on it's own :baby: :cool2: :thumb:
But since you ask I have the chance to test (and buy if I want to at the same price) the major (what is considered top brands) North, cabrinha, slingshot, naish and find switchkites suits me better and the fact that they are made at the same quality or even better. Having said, iI am not married to any brand and I may choose something else in the near future cause I have start using surfboard also....
Any suggestions for something that will boost, loop, float on twin tip but it will also work for onshore conditions on a surfboard?
Actually I agree that having a comparison is a good thing as it helps people who currently have a particular kite see if it does the things that they might find lacking from their current kite. Even if its a case of 'goes upwind as well as kite X or jumps as well as kite Y'

In terms of suggestions, North Rebel is often seen as the onshore surfing boosting kite. I'd also suggest the Pivot and Evo as worth comparing.

JBZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: texas city Levee, Sherman island
Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly

Postby JBZ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:09 pm

honestly I would be interested in seeing comparisons, reason being is to see how it squares up against others. I am very very interested in this kite...and most likely will buy one no matter the reviews good or bad. the problem is I bought a kite recently that despite all the raving reviews it didn't meet my expectations. the one benefit is that Switch does give you the opportunity to fly it and send it back if you don't like it, which is great business. I doubt there are a lot of people who have sent them back. the only problem with that is if you actually have the chance to ride the kite or not before the 30 days is up.

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:33 pm

owned a 12m Nitro 3, upgraded to nitro 4's.

i like the nitro 4's alot- definitely likes the upper 1/3 of their wind range to come alive. can say that about any kite but other kites i've owned were good in top 2/3's of wind range. people comment on low end power- for me as a cydesdale i give it an ehhh for lightwind so maybe different for lightweights. other kites started earlier than this kite for me but the high end is ridiculous. felt fine on a 14m gusting above 30mph other day and fun jumps.

i came off bridles w/ pulleys for years- takes a little time to get used to no pulley turning feel-has kink spot on turning - takes a tug to get kite turning but then accelerates fast. reminds me of best nemi's.

kite has much more C feel to it- more raw feeling than a bridled slider swept wing kite. downlooping in waves does lower wing tip stall a bit but totally usuable in waves - if an issue get an element. shape of kite - all about what type of wing you like and i'm happy with the nitro 4.

jumps great - once i dialed back to older c/squared off kite style of wang'n it and stomping back foot hard got the jumps dialed. fun kite.

can't beat the price.

this guy has decent video's showing the kite in action.(music is questionable though)

JBZ
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Local Beach: texas city Levee, Sherman island
Favorite Beaches: texas city Levee, Sherman island california, kite beach Maui
Style: freeride, wake style, wave
Gear: Best, slingshot, crazyfly

Postby JBZ » Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:11 pm

clydesdale wrote:owned a 12m Nitro 3, upgraded to nitro 4's.

i like the nitro 4's alot- definitely likes the upper 1/3 of their wind range to come alive. can say that about any kite but other kites i've owned were good in top 2/3's of wind range. people comment on low end power- for me as a cydesdale i give it an ehhh for lightwind so maybe different for lightweights. other kites started earlier than this kite for me but the high end is ridiculous. felt fine on a 14m gusting above 30mph other day and fun jumps.

i came off bridles w/ pulleys for years- takes a little time to get used to no pulley turning feel-has kink spot on turning - takes a tug to get kite turning but then accelerates fast. reminds me of best nemi's.

kite has much more C feel to it- more raw feeling than a bridled slider swept wing kite. downlooping in waves does lower wing tip stall a bit but totally usuable in waves - if an issue get an element. shape of kite - all about what type of wing you like and i'm happy with the nitro 4.

jumps great - once i dialed back to older c/squared off kite style of wang'n it and stomping back foot hard got the jumps dialed. fun kite.

can't beat the price.

this guy has decent video's showing the kite in action.(music is questionable though)

LOL...I met him and a few other (good folks) Corpus crew a few weeks back when I was there. I was staying about 100 yards from the local kiting spot "carpets" in laguna madre. that is the first time I have seen or heard of Switch and there were 3 or 4 people riding the Nitros. spoke to a pretty cool guy about it for awhile and that is what convinced me to want one in the first place. he was quite a bit bigger then I am and was on a 10m and lapping me up wind and I was on a 12m

edit: does anyone know where he is riding, is that tanks? If it is itried to go out there while I was out but they had gates up on every dirt road that leads to it. "can I get a key please"

rtz
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Favorite Beaches: OBX
SPI
Style: Freeride
Gear: SlingShot, Switch.

Postby rtz » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:05 am

You can find out for sure on here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/495198977188546/

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:38 pm

Good pic to see the shape of it. It's open C all right.
Last edited by marlboroughman on Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Scheveningen, Domburg, Rilland, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Binnenschelde, Vrouwenpolder, Oostvoorne, Rockanje, Grevelingen, Borssele.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Switch Helium V1 18m Element V3 13m-7m V4 9m-5m Legacy V1 10m-14m Slingshot Fuel 2005
Switch MJComp V2 136x41.5 Firewire Hellrazor 6.1 timbertek Shinn Shinnster Nobile 555 125x38

Postby Faxie » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:55 pm

Doesn't look like a RPM to me

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Sat Aug 22, 2015 9:25 pm

RPM is a mutilated C and it performs like one. :rollgrin:

jwoodunlv
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby jwoodunlv » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:03 pm

Hey JBZ, I'm the guy you spoke to at carpets. The spot that video was shot at was in the nighthawk bay area in the "ski" canals. I think he kayak to it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”