2010 OR Rise Issue

Forum for kitesurfers
foam-n-fibre
Frequent Poster
Gear: DIY boards and OR kites
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: 2010 OR Rise Issue

Postby foam-n-fibre » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:07 am

I have a 7, 10, 12 and 14m of those. I agree with their description, but the fact that I still ride them and like them should say quite a bit. An experienced rider will figure out to not fly at 12 with slack lines very quickly. It might not be a great kite for a total beginner and someone who spends more time learning, but otherwise most will learn to fly it and enjoy it in a session or two, but there might be something to be said for not having a quiver with all different types of kites and properties. Changing kite styles from day to day could be more of an issue, but that's not to say that you need to have all or none of these. But a new rider might benefit from some consistency.

In some places and conditions good upwind makes a big difference. One thing I should add is that this hindenburg thing will be most likely on a big kite and/or in light wind, like the 14, 13 or maybe 12, but its much less of an issue in stronger wind since the kite is smaller and lighter and the stronger wind tend to move the kite back and tighten the lines if you do make mistakes.

Peter

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:40 am

Lots of good advice and you seem to be accepting in spirit it is being given, great. I would like to bring one thing up again as it was a great piece of advice but maybe misunderstood. The down loop should not be thought of as a trick or an advanced move. It is an intermediate move and is sometimes the best move possible so should be learned early and become instinctive. When the lines go slack or are about to go slack for whatever reason, the downloop more often than not is the best response and should be one of your first thoughts. Yes, even under water, you pull hard and things get better. Of course, you have to practice first while riding or when water starting but it quickly becomes an easy very effective part of your riding and keeps you out of all kinds of trouble. Well worth the short time it takes to learn it and get comfortable with. Just my opinion,YMMV.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:42 pm

langfordja wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:55 am
Got it - keep it moving, and light pumps. I will work on my finesse and hopefully, eventually, love my Rise (along with my Mako, did I mention that I love my Mako ?).

Thanks again.
The Mako tribe runs deep! :) When you're ready, try a Duke too!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:26 pm

The Rise was my first kite, 2009 version bought in 2012. My 2nd kite cabrinha switchblade. In comparison,I found the Rise was finicky, I wanted a "Park and Ride", so I moved on. I've heard lots of people out there with the same complaint about the Rise. But there's also lots of people who, once used to them, go to love them -- I know people still riding them many years later.

Anyways, sounds like you want to get an OR Prodigy or equivalent. "Set it and forget it"....pretty much flies itself, don't think to think about it, etc. The Prodigy's been around long enough that there's a fair number of cheaper, older used ones....watch for one in good condition. When newbies ask me about buying new kites, I usually tell them nothing older than 2010. The Rise was still produced at that time, but it was a pre 2010 design.....not saying it's obsolete, but a 7 year old kite based on a 10-12 year old design is getting pretty dated. Go with the assumption that designers have been steadily learning stuff to make better flying kites ... and move on up.

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Mako board and Epic Screamer kites
Shinnster for strapless light wind
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm

Peter makes a good point about Hindenburg-ing in light wind. I should have mentioned this earlier but, most of my experience with my 9m Rise, is in light wind on the beach, because I wanted to see how it flies, before taking it out in relatively strong winds. Evidently, and hopefully, this was not a fair test. During these tests, the wind was not strong enough to ride, on any of my kites. If it was strong enough, I would just ride on the kites that I had confidence in, rather than goofing around on the beach. However, it was strong enough where my more idiot-proof kites would still fly.

So I was (maybe unfairly) skeptical of my Rise, from day 1.

But, you guys have got me wanting to give the Rise another try. Tomorrow's wind forecast is in the high teens (mph), so I'll give the Rise another test.

---------------------------------

As for knotwindy's down loop advice : I will work on it. I probably do it instinctively in some situations, where I have my wits about me. But I still freak out when I am under water after a wipe out. And it doesn't help my mental state to have the first glimpse of my kite (after I get to the surface again) be - seeing it headed down toward the water. I agree that a down loop should help the situation by keeping tension on the lines, and keeping the kite from going behind me over my head, and pulling me out from under water faster. Although it does seem like it would increase the distance between me and my board. As to a board separation comment made earlier, I personally, have never had the next wave move my board dangerously toward me. There is usually enough separation from my board to keep me safe. And, as I mentioned before, I am not actually surfing these waves, just jumping them. Although, in the rare past occasions that I attempt to surf, and then wipe out in the direction of the wave --- I freak out even more. If I do add the Rise to my day-to-day quiver, I promise not to attempt to surf waves with it.

Thanks again for all of the helpful comments. This forum is perfect for questions about my old gear, and other topics.

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:43 pm

langfordja wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:38 pm
I should have mentioned this earlier but, most of my experience with my 9m Rise, is in light wind on the beach
The Rise does much better when moving... apparent wind is your friend. Hence my comment to do small 8s with the kite to keep it flying but certainly, standing still on the beach it will be finicky so I can now far better understand your 1st experiences with it.

Get it out on the water and moving with it. You will find a very friendly low end power, especially as you gain board speed.

When you wipe out and are hitting the panic button under water, try to think to move your hands to the middle of the bar (you should be riding with them close to the middle anyway) and to pull lightly on the bar to provide you feedback to get your orientation back and it will help keep the kite in the air.

And jump the kite.. the 9m Rise was one of my all time favourite kites to jump. Honestly, I'm not sure we ever made a kite as enjoyable to jump with good winds. (Though, I am also looking back with rose coloured glasses on my kiting career 7 years ago - lol :) )

JZ

langfordja
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Panama City Beach, FL
Style: free
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Mako board and Epic Screamer kites
Shinnster for strapless light wind
Slingshot foil

Postby langfordja » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:59 pm

juandesooka,

Thanks for the info. I did not know that the 2010 Rise was based on an older design. I assumed that the move to six struts in 2010 indicated a design update.

I too, only ride kites from 2010 (and newer). And I probably won't buy any kites that old any more, but I already have this Rise. It has been in my garage for years and it is in really good condition.

I have been riding my 2010 Screamer (my oldest day-to-day kite) for years and I still like it. But it may not last forever.

I will sacrifice "park and ride" for things like promises of big air. I probably regret this sacrifice, in the middle of a crisis.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm

langfordja wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:59 pm
I will sacrifice "park and ride" for things like promises of big air. I probably regret this sacrifice, in the middle of a crisis.
Probably won't regret it, if you spend the time and get used to it. Like I said, I have 3-4 friends who are still using these as their main kites and they have no issues with hindenberging etc. You can learn to ride any kite I figure, get to know its peculiarities and how to deal them (and that's why you can't trust user reviews, nearly everyone says their kite is the BEST EVER :wink: )

The hindenburg issues as I remember was overflying....if you have it over head at 12, it is will fly past you, then lose tension. So, as others said, don't park it there, keep it moving actively. I have wondered if line length tuning might help....maybe flying with a little extra depower to lengthen back lines would lessen likelihood of over flying? Or one extra pigtail on back lines? (or maybe I have it backwards LOL)

ORSales
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ORSales » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:59 pm
I have wondered if line length tuning might help....maybe flying with a little extra depower to lengthen back lines would lessen likelihood of over flying? Or one extra pigtail on back lines? (or maybe I have it backwards LOL)
Juan D - unfortunately, line tuning won't help. Slack back lines will encourage the kite to fly even farther forward in the window. That characteristic you identified is exactly why the kite does so well with apparent wind speeds, it keeps seeking the wind window's edge and pulls you harder and harder when moving but will overfly you if you leave it stationary....

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster

Postby juandesooka » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:20 pm

ORSales wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:08 pm
Juan D - unfortunately, line tuning won't help. Slack back lines will encourage the kite to fly even farther forward in the window. That characteristic you identified is exactly why the kite does so well with apparent wind speeds, it keeps seeking the wind window's edge and pulls you harder and harder when moving but will overfly you if you leave it stationary....
Yep, that makes sense ... like everything in kiting (and life), you gain one advantage at the cost of a disadvantage. So we have to choose what features are most important, focus on those, and then account for the resulting negatives. Hey, in the end it's all about having fun ... get on the water and enjoy ourselves.

btw, for me, the Rise was a good jumper, but the switchblade was really good. Noticeable in comparison to my move to wave/surf kites since, which you can jump too but they just don't have that elevator rise and easy glide. Easy as pie to fly though....trade offs eh.

Return to “Kitesurfing”