Used Rebel Buyers

Forum for kitesurfers
NYKiter
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Wave
Gear: .

Used Rebel Buyers

Postby NYKiter » Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:02 pm

Just an FYI for those folks who are poor like me and tend to purchased used Rebels:

The 2012 models are finally filtering down now as 2016 begins to approach and good used ones can be had for just a few hundred dollars.

After riding the 2009, 2010 and 2011 Rebels I can say that the 2012 is definitely a cut above the rest - the difference is astounding. The squared off wing tips are quite a dramatic improvement....as probably the guys with the new ones can attest. The kite seems to respond to a mere flicking of the wrist (even depowered) that the previous years just dont have (quite addictive actually).

I would say the 2009-2011 all feel the same. I imagine the 2012-2015 feel pretty similar as well given the wing tips. (Why pay for the 2015 feeling when the 2012 is close enough for a third of the price....).

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Used Rebel Buyers

Postby matth » Tue Sep 08, 2015 6:32 pm

Keep your eye on Masskiting.com sale section, lots of great deals come up on used kites , boards, etc.

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:55 pm

2014 was WAY better than 2013, and the 2012 and 13 weren't too different. 14 and 15 basically the same.

William Munney
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West Meadow, GSB
Gear: North X-Ride, Airush Sector 60, North Rebels, 6m, 7m, 9m, 12m, 16m
Been thanked: 0

Postby William Munney » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:42 am

I'm not seeing any 2012 Rebels on iKitesurf for a few hundred dollars.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:15 am

2011 was a great kite. 2012 they softened the 'power' in the kite, smoother overall.

2013 was an weird higher aspect experiment that for most didn't work to well. It was just fine to be honest, lacked the same bottom end grunt, but was a killer at it's top end. Needed a better 'kiter' and not such a plug and play mow the lawn type under it.

2014/2015 to be was like a really refined 2011, smooth like the 2012 but with the 'balls' of the 2011.

2016 is another higher aspect experiment (in the larger sizes) and from my short time on the 13m and watching it under a very good operator for a number of sessions, seems to have worked this time.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Ozz , what about a quick review of the 2016 13m rebel ,comparaison with the 2015,low end ,hi end,turning speed ,drive upwind ,bar pressure etc. I am looking specialy for a 13m for freeriding on tt and sb ! Thanks ! :thumb:

clydesdale
Frequent Poster

Postby clydesdale » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:42 pm

agree w/ westozzy- 2011 in Fuse iteration was my favorite version of the rebel/fuse

2012 good, 2013 blah

no more fuse blah north

now rebels they are messing w/ higher ar for bigger kites ill pass

why north why

remake the 2011 or sell the computer file shape pattern to switch kites

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:53 am

windfreak wrote:Hi Ozz , what about a quick review of the 2016 13m rebel ,comparaison with the 2015,low end ,hi end,turning speed ,drive upwind ,bar pressure etc. I am looking specialy for a 13m for freeriding on tt and sb ! Thanks ! :thumb:

oh okay remembering it was only a 30 minutes sesh, but I must say I've flown enough kites and enough rebels to have a pretty good idea, pretty quickly. Have seen the kite in action a number of times now on a rider I know very well (good rider at all disciplines in the sport).

My rebellious thoughts....

Feels lighter on the bar overall than past years. Think the canopy Definetly is less 'beefy'. Flies more forward in the window as well. Unlike the dyno it doesn't do this as fast, hence there is more static pull. You especially know this when you are setting up for a jump given a gust...the kite starts to accelerate, you wouldn't call it grunt but I suppose relative to the dyno this power surge has more power on the downwind vector...like previous years but less so. I would say near it middle to upper range (where we all want to be) your edge control will have to be nailed. I was surprised first few jumps and got a little yanked downwind. But after adjusting you can really use that power surge for some great height and glide.

Glide wise, it's on par with the dyno easily. So, far more than the past years. But what it does have as a bonus is the canopy, when in the air, is far less sensitive to bar throw adjustments and when you redirect than the dyno. Overall then rebel is significantly slower than the 13 dyno (but the dyno with its voodoo bridalling is surprisingly quick) and also flies a little slower, so this could prove to give you more room to try some crazy stuff. I didn't notice any extra glide than the dyno, but I did notice my board offs could executed with less precision, plus the bar throw and redirection was less sensitive. The rebel is far more forgiving in this respect.

But I'm pulling hairs really, the difference is marginal and only some crew would notice any of this. Infact the kites are surprisingly interchangeable in feels, I got back on the dyno with very little adjustment.

I suppose where the dyno separates itself from the new rebel is its ability to be sent aka c kite style. Not quite but you know what I mean. It's quicker to and with that less downwind vector on the load (given good riding) I still maintain the dyno will go higher. I also prefer the bar feel on the dyno. The rebel I find surprisingly less direct even though it has no bridles. The bar feel on the rebel is relatively spongy...relatively I mean, most would find it pretty direct. But that's the magic of those two tow points being brought together. That can't be beat. Now a rebel with tow points brought together ...ooooh.

I feel the rebel as usual will hold up much better near its top end compared to the dyno. But we still need to test that. but I still maintain there is no comparable kite on the market that holds its shit together like the rebel when it's on like donkey kong. Now this is another test we gotta try.

And Ya right testing the new rebel 10m with the dyno 10m will really emphasise the differences. Bigger the kite and it the gusty shitty conditions we rode into today it's really hard to be definitive. From what I gather though there is little change to the middle sizes in the rebel. But the greater aspect and tweaks have definitely improved the larger rebels and for the plug and play dude its significantly better. Still seemed to hold up in the waves, but hey at that size and above its all pretend wave riding anyhow.

I think the changes to the larger sizes has been worthwhile.

windfreak
Medium Poster

Postby windfreak » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:37 pm

Thanks OZZ super review before everyone , AGAIN ! Thanks ! :thumb:

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Westozzy » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:49 am

windfreak wrote:Thanks OZZ super review before everyone , AGAIN ! Thanks ! :thumb:

And you should have seen that rider looping the 8m yesterday arvo. I was looping the 2011 6m ...but of course not as much canopy hence was coming in real hot sometimes. This guy was going bloody huge, big long arced Consistently powered loops, kite always got around, giving ample time for a redirected downloop that gave this soft as landing...this guy has ridden a lot of kites over the years (is accomplished in all areas of kiting..prick) and came in and wanted to boof his kite!! Was so impressive...just never thought a rebel of that sizecould loop so well. Goes to show you man.

Return to “Kitesurfing”