Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Standard category name for Firewire Vanguard-style board

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:01 pm

C Johnson wrote:I've been calling them Mutants. I know that term has been around a long time but it still seems to be technically the correct term.
They are most definitely mutant boards. But the term mutant board is no longer cool anymore. So cool kids shy away from using it.

My call. In a could of years time someone will have a revolutionary idea to slap a fin on the front and all it a hybrid surfboard TT...........

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:18 pm

@plummet: they are most definitely NOT mutants.
As someone mentioned in a previous post: Mutants are to be ridden both ways.
The Tomo VG is optimized to be a phenomenal directional surf board, from mushy onshore to double overhead.
You need to try a VG (and get the size right), it's really the first board I own since I started kiting > 12 years ago where I have trouble to find something I wish were better / optimized

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:15 pm

plummet wrote:
C Johnson wrote:I've been calling them Mutants. I know that term has been around a long time but it still seems to be technically the correct term.
They are most definitely mutant boards. But the term mutant board is no longer cool anymore. So cool kids shy away from using it.
Sorry, most definitely not Mutant. As was posted above, a mutant is basically a twin tip with the pads offset toward one end and a bigger set of fins on that end to optimize it for unidirectional riding but with some reverse ability. It's been that way ever since the oughties.

The VG and others should probably be referred to as MPH's, not that Tomo was the first or only, but he's currently the best and most recognized.

FWIW the front pad from WMFG fits perfectly on my VG and has great grip. I'm looking forward to trying out the tail pad.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:26 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
plummet wrote:
Sorry, most definitely not Mutant. As was posted above, a mutant is basically a twin tip with the pads offset toward one end and a bigger set of fins on that end to optimize it for unidirectional riding but with some reverse ability. It's been that way ever since the oughties.

The VG and others should probably be referred to as MPH's, not that Tomo was the first or only, but he's currently the best and most recognized.

FWIW the front pad from WMFG fits perfectly on my VG and has great grip. I'm looking forward to trying out the tail pad.
mede wrote:@plummet: they are most definitely NOT mutants.
As someone mentioned in a previous post: Mutants are to be ridden both ways.
The Tomo VG is optimized to be a phenomenal directional surf board, from mushy onshore to double overhead.
You need to try a VG (and get the size right), it's really the first board I own since I started kiting > 12 years ago where I have trouble to find something I wish were better / optimized
And thus the cool kids step forward.... "It can't be a mutant!"

Of course it is. In my mind a mutant is a slur between a TT and a surfboard. That is exactly what the vanguard is. Admitidly its set up is towards the Surf end. None the less its a mutant.

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:24 pm

from my own experience no relationship or similarity at all between a firewire vanguard to a mutant or twin tip. the only people that say these things are people that have only seen photos of the boards or never ridden one or just tried the kitesurfing knock offs of the Vanguard such such as a trex or liquid force messenger which ride totally different. the Vanguard is a rocket ship with a surf board feel it rides more above the water than a regular surfboard and most definitely a twin tip which Is what give It such great acceleration and speed the deep concave eats up whitewater and chop. I very been testing the low end of the Vanguard. with Naish Pivot 14M and recently Ozone Chrono 2 13M and they both rock from about 8knots.
Attachments
tmp_29661-20151030_171341938765143.jpg

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:58 pm

plummet wrote:[Of course it is. In my mind a mutant is a slur between a TT and a surfboard. That is exactly what the vanguard is. Admitidly its set up is towards the Surf end. None the less its a mutant.
You could be forgiven for thinking so since you've obviously only seen pictures. But the construction and function of the VG and a mutant are completely different. Although the nose is chopped off the VG it has no reverse riding ability at all. It's just a surfboard with the nose chopped off.

BTW, heres a shot of the WMFG pad on my VG.
Attachments
2015-11-01 11.27.33.jpg

robg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: VB VA

Postby robg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:14 am

Plummet,

Saying the Vanguard is a mutant or a slur between a TT and a surfboard is wrong. It is a surfboard. It is the only surfboard I have surfed on for the last three years in waves of every shape and size. You will not find me or anyone else trying to surf on a mutant kiteboard. The guy who designed it has never kited. It was designed for surfing. It was marketed to kiters as an afterthought when people realized just how good it was for kiting.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 02, 2015 2:58 am

robg wrote:Plummet,
You will not find me or anyone else trying to surf on a mutant kiteboard.
And there in lies the cool problem. Mutants are uncool and you will not even try one because its a "mutant".... Even if it was the best board in the world.... Or you refuse to call it a mutant because mutants are uncool.

Thus it cannot be called a mutant.

I also realize it was not originally designed for kitesurfers. But at the same time its drawn some inspiration from wake boards/kiteboards to cut the rotation weight and size down for tricks, sharper turning etc. Surprise, surprise that's exactly what TT's do.

Make no mistake this board is not a traditional surfboard. It draws inspiration from TT style boards to improve directional riding.

robg
Medium Poster

Postby robg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:06 am

duplicate post
Last edited by robg on Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

robg
Medium Poster

Postby robg » Mon Nov 02, 2015 3:12 am

Plummet,

You miss the point as to why I said you would not find me surfing on a mutant kiteboard. It is not that I am a cool kid. At 47 I may be older than you. The days of caring what anyone thinks of me as being cool are in the distant past. The point is that I do not think it would be functional or even possible to catch and ride waves using just your arms on a mutant kiteboard such as a Mako.

You are correct in saying Tomo was influenced by the design of kiteboards and snowboards. He has said so. That does not mean the Vanguard is anything other than an amazing surfboard.

I usually agree with all of your posts but we may not end up agreeing on this. It is a pretty unimportant argument anyway. :D

Return to “Kitesurfing”