hongchew
Medium Poster
Gear: airush
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Legacy 10m review

Postby hongchew » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:18 am

Why not start you own kiteboard brand and show Switch how it is done. :lol:
tegirinenashi wrote:
corbett wrote:If these switch guys pushed the gas peddle and the car exploded, they would still give it great reviews!!

Switch=Dacia cars.
Kite reviews are silly regardless of the company. Since virtually no innovation happened with inflatables since 2005 (strutless kites, really?), Switch kites as good as any others.

However, Switch focus on legacy C kites is misdirected. What about boards, one offer only? Granted, it is hard to compete with $300 brand new twintips readily found on clearance, but what about directional? More importantly, what about hydrofoil? Some places (like Crissy) are 100% foil. Certainly, they can take significant chunk of the market with something like $500 for aluminum, and $750 for carbon.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 16, 2015 2:46 am

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Golden Gardens, Richmond Beach, Double Bluff
Favorite Beaches: Double Bluff, The Hatchery, Damon Point
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish, Board Riding Maui

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:13 am

I have naish and north kites too but I like my Legacy better than my parks, vegas or old rebels. $600 for a new that is durable and flys great is fantastic.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:17 am

Osprey1 wrote:I have naish and north kites too but I like my Legacy better than my parks, vegas or old rebels. $600 for a new that is durable and flys great is fantastic.

Why do you like this kite better????? Besides flies great and is fantastic?????? Can you specifically compare it to the vegas and list the pros and cons????? Vegas is my current favorite kite, so I'm interested.

Corbett- have another bottle of Corbett.....merlot perhaps?
Last edited by Do-it on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Postby corbett » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:19 am

Last edited by corbett on Wed Oct 19, 2016 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osprey1
Frequent Poster

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:12 am

Ok. Vegas is a great kite (I have an old one and havent flown one newer than 2012), for me the legacy feels a bit more crisp and direct feeling while turning slower which I like for wakestyle. Plus the upper end is better. That said the North bar is definitely nicer and cleaner than the Switch controller. Vs the Park it provides more explosive pop after loading, line slack and doesn't backstall as easily. Vs the Rebel well the Rebel is great for long gliding jumps and surfing performance but isnt great for wakestyle as it always pulls (passing on that kite is a bitch). The legacy is very similar to the vegas in the initial pull when boosting. The vegas and Legacy are like Teslas while the others are more like cadillacs. Kiteloops on a c kite are simply more fun.

Initially I wanted to buy a quiver of Torches but due their high expense I started looking at alternatives including used gear and close-outs. However, there is a local rider here who let me check out his combat and I was impressed, so I took a leap of faith and went with Switch and im happy I did. Aside from the gear their customer service is excellent which made me a full convert

Also coming from the tech industry I like to support disruptive brands and business models(like BRM). Paying over $1000 for new kites just to support retailers and other overhead seems antiquated (like using taxis instead of uber).

We are all here for the stoke, so ride whatever you like and have fun. I hope new biz models like Switch's will continue to enable the sport to grow.
Last edited by Osprey1 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do-it
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: North and Ocean Rodeo

Postby Do-it » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:34 am

Thanks..... I actually started flying 2012 vegas' this year and love how fast it turns" for waves".I have purchased a 2012 9m and 12m, plus a 7m 2013 brand new for 1000 bucks total, so 600 bucks is pricey for me. Thanks again

Osprey1
Frequent Poster

Postby Osprey1 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:42 am

Cool. Nice find. Have fun and own those waves!

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:54 pm

marcjacobskite wrote:He is a link of the Legacy 10m in 24knots gust with incoming current mega looping. You can see it loops perfect and catches me beautifully with a second lift :D

https://youtu.be/W6sRUTGNwUg
That is such a cool loop! Love the second lift at the end. Man, that spot looks nice!

scheme
Rare Poster
Gear: best and epic

Postby scheme » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:34 pm

Went out yesterday on the 12m legacy looking for the top end of its wind range (and found it). Wind was kind of up and down and building as the session progressed, starting around 20-30mph with ten and twenty minute periods of 30 - 35. I rode it on 23m lines back to back with an 11m GP and an 8m TS. I'm 170lbs on a 136cm board. It was great most of the time, but when it was around 30 and over it really became unmanageable. Its definitely got great range for a c-kite, but it doesnt edge out like the GP so you have to be more conscious of trimming it in when you really push the top end, and have to keep the kite low to not get pulled off your edge. When it was in the mid-high 20s, it was super boosty/floaty and comfortable. The landing loops generate a lot of lift and tons of downwind pull, and are really predictable. When it was too windy (clearly outside the range of a 12m kite), it became impossible to hold the edge, and occasionally I was so overpowered that I would get yanked and rag-dolled downwind.

Return to “Kitesurfing”