Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Don't show us your hook

Postby plummet » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 pm

Starsky wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:06 pm
iriejohn wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:20 pm

To you perhaps but not to me.

I want a separate leash in order to avoid any confusion with physical proximity and function of the two releases, and secondly one is push (good) and the other is pull (not good).

For example, it might not be me using the releases if I am in difficulty and a third party is using them.
To each their own, but have you tried the BRM set up or do you just dislike the idea of a pull release? As to confusion, there really is none,
Pull releases may not activate when there is no line tension. That's the disadvantage of a pull release. You may argue that you don't need to release until theres line tension. But there are instances when you want to flag to safety before the power hits in!
Last edited by plummet on Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

effisk
Medium Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Switch Kites
Brand Affiliation: Switch Kites Ambassador
Has thanked: 0

Postby effisk » Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:37 pm

Or before you get completely tangled in the lines in the surf...

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:34 am

Maybe I didn't explain it well. In practice its very intuitive and functional. If your holding the line BY the secondary release (Which you already have in hand) the kite will release AS the line tensions not after. As in, the line beginning to pull provides the release force, pulling the pin from the stationary ball in your hand. In the real world you hold that second release at light tension away from you as a natural consequence of the push away primary and keep it under mild distraction from you as NOT to instantly fire the secondary. It feels ergonomic and intuitive if you have any understanding of what is in your hand and takes no calculated thought or time. Its only a matter of pulling it 2 cm toward you, if you feel at further risk, slacking the line between your harness and the release that will allow the secondary to fire if the flag line tensions. So to be really clear..... you push, you hold, if you get scared, you move 2cm and you and your kite are safe from any sort of yank if and when it should happen. You can continue to argue against it, but if you haven't tried it, it really is from a place of ignorance.

As to a slack line wrap in surf, its rare, its a nightmare no matter what bar system and it takes a nano second to release the BRM secondary by hand. Again, you should hopefully understand what your holding! Your pretty much going to be using both hands at that point anyway to clear lines and get away from them as fast as possible. Not really a valid draw back for anyone with a modicum of experience.

In practice the system works as advertised. You don't have to use it, but lets be clear that your perceived negatives are exactly that.

or6
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1997
Weight: 81
Local Beach: Wijk aan zee, Zandmotor, Hoek and in between
Favorite Beaches: Muriwai NZ, El Medano Tenerife, la Ventana México, Hood River, Portland area, Vancouver Island, Wijk aan Zee, Moulay Bouzerktoun
Style: Waveriding
Gear: RRD Religion 4 meter, 5 and 7 meter Kauper XT Maverick, 9 meter Core GTS6, Ben Wilson Vibe 9, Peter Lynn Phantom v2 9, Appletree Klokhouse Noseless 5'3", Wanted Pure 6'0", Shinn Bronq Heritage, Gong Foil

Postby or6 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:20 am

I wish somebody would convince BRM to supply the European market. I'd buy the bar right away. Anybody got some pull with Greg ? 😜

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:26 am

or6 wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:20 am
I wish somebody would convince BRM to supply the European market. I'd buy the bar right away. Anybody got some pull with Greg ? 😜
It's not hard to make your own, as I have & many others.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 pm

example

IMG_3479.jpg

zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby zdunigan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 am

Has anyone found any source for the release pins? I have been scouring the internet and can not come up with anything.. I am ready to duplicate the BRM bar but need a source for the pins!

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:17 am

zdunigan wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 am
Has anyone found any source for the release pins? I have been scouring the internet and can not come up with anything.. I am ready to duplicate the BRM bar but need a source for the pins!
Not identical but swage eye terminals will do the job. See http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... ge#p948466.

Also this place seems to sell the full leash with the old style pins https://www.francekiteshop.com/en/kites ... -part_8516 but €39 a pin is a bit much!

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:32 am

faklord wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:17 am
zdunigan wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:55 am
Not identical but swage eye terminals will do the job. See http://kiteforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=1& ... ge#p948466.

Also this place seems to sell the full leash with the old style pins https://www.francekiteshop.com/en/kites ... -part_8516 but €39 a pin is a bit much!
& also, obviously the old Cabrinha leash with the mushroom style QR,s.
I've also found a few IDS trim line replacement kits that have the same QR,s lying around in the odd Cab dealers odds & sods bin.

zdunigan
Rare Poster
Gear: kites
Been thanked: 0

Postby zdunigan » Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:48 am

Starsky wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:29 pm
example

IMG_3479.jpg
Starsky....are you using a Brummel splice at the ends of your lines as opposed to a bury with stitching?

I have to say, the BRM bar that I just replaced the sheeting lines on is a dream to fly with.

Return to “Kitesurfing”