Switch Kiteboarding Launches New Innovative Spider Bridle

Forum for kitesurfers
lewmt
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mtns
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Switch Kiteboarding Launches New Innovative Spider Bridl

Postby lewmt » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:48 am

The Nitro 4 is the most fun snowkite I've flown to date. I haven't flown Ozone Edges which many expert glider/kiters are flying but I feel like this kite has all I could possibly want in good snowkite terrain. With better relaunch and quicker turning & enhanced stability on the new spider bridle - this kite should be on par with any top end kite in snow. I've never noticed anything close to stability issues with my 4 anyway.

shlow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trikora, Indonesia
Changi Singapore
Gear: 16M 2011 Cabrinha SwitchBlade
12M 2012 LQ Envy
9M 2012 LQ Envy
Has thanked: 0

Postby shlow » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:46 am

BWD wrote:Your surmise or memory that I fly clouds is right.
If you haven't actually flown the clouds and checked out at least the shaping and layout and how it is not really as simple as it looks, you ought to. Firsthand experience, and I would say at least 10 hours of it, is what it takes to get the advantages. And yes there are some times I think, "this would be more fun with another kite," but quite few. Not trying to sell them.
Anyway, I am not into a strut versus no strut argument. My Fuels boost and loop way different from my clouds and I wouldn't have it any other way. And if I wanted to race or max out at 50 instead of 30 I would fly some other kites. Some with struts, some not!
Thanks for the kind words and keep on innovating.
I am currently riding a N4(16M) and a C1 (17M), both with different characteristic. The big boost and hangtime for the N4 for TT riding is so much different from the C1 drifting capability, ideal on a surfboard.

The N4 (and for that matter, N5 design) is suited for it intended use. As much as we would like everything in a package, sometime it is physically not possible.

shlow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trikora, Indonesia
Changi Singapore
Gear: 16M 2011 Cabrinha SwitchBlade
12M 2012 LQ Envy
9M 2012 LQ Envy

Postby shlow » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:47 am

BWD wrote:Your surmise or memory that I fly clouds is right.
If you haven't actually flown the clouds and checked out at least the shaping and layout and how it is not really as simple as it looks, you ought to. Firsthand experience, and I would say at least 10 hours of it, is what it takes to get the advantages. And yes there are some times I think, "this would be more fun with another kite," but quite few. Not trying to sell them.
Anyway, I am not into a strut versus no strut argument. My Fuels boost and loop way different from my clouds and I wouldn't have it any other way. And if I wanted to race or max out at 50 instead of 30 I would fly some other kites. Some with struts, some not!
Thanks for the kind words and keep on innovating.
I am currently riding a N4(16M) and a C1 (17M), both with different characteristic. The big boost and hangtime for the N4 for TT riding is so much different from the C1 drifting capability, ideal on a surfboard.

The N4 (and for that matter, N5 design) is suited for it intended use. As much as we would like everything in a package, sometime it is physically not possible.

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:51 pm

On of the locals here in the UK was out on a N5 7m in very powered conditions. The kite seemed fine, his jumps were over 11m according to the Woo. It was mega gusty UK stormy winds.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:52 pm

lewmt wrote:The Nitro 4 is the most fun snowkite I've flown to date. I haven't flown Ozone Edges which many expert glider/kiters are flying but I feel like this kite has all I could possibly want in good snowkite terrain. With better relaunch and quicker turning & enhanced stability on the new spider bridle - this kite should be on par with any top end kite in snow. I've never noticed anything close to stability issues with my 4 anyway.
Yeah, Nitro is a great snowkite kite!

bouclette
Rare Poster
Gear: Too many

Postby bouclette » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:48 pm

kjorn wrote:On of the locals here in the UK was out on a N5 7m in very powered conditions. The kite seemed fine, his jumps were over 11m according to the Woo. It was mega gusty UK stormy winds.
Hi kjorn,

Which spot are you talking about? I was out on my N5 7m at Hill Head in the last 2 WE.

Great boosting, especially yesterday where I had it set up better. Probably beat my personal highest jump and hangtime (although probably nothing very impressive number-wise!).

Ben

herbert
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Kailua
Style: directional
Gear: RRD

Postby herbert » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:45 am

[quote="Hansen Design"]

"My experience with multiple test kites leads me to believe a center strut is the best way to increase the camber in a stable way for a larger range of sheeting, stability and balance/bar pressure sheeted out."

That would be like me saying: "My experience with multiple test bridles tells me that the "spider bridle" will not work well". It would be more accurate to say, "I couldn't make it work they way I wanted, maybe someone else will succeed. Let's see what those who have used them a lot say." Many have tried to design strutless kites. Most it seems, have not succeeded. That does not mean someone else cannot do it. Those who own and have been flying the Boardriding Maui C2's (such as BWD) seem to have much more experience with that specific strutless design and speak highly of them. Having spent hundreds of hours flying the C2's I am dumbfounded at the comments from Switch. Someone compliments BRM and Switch and the Switch takes the opportunity to denigrate BRM? I may have spent more hours flying Switch kites than they have flying the BRM kites. Nonetheless, I would not feel qualified enough to bash their kites. I also would not steer someone away from Switch kites. But the comments made by them about other kites don't reflect my experience, and certainly don't inspire my confidence in their company. Not very classy. Nonetheless, I won't prejudge the new bridle.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:58 am

Come on. "leads me to believe a center strut is the best way to..." clearly states a personal opinion. His belief of what works best. There is nothing wrong with that!?

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:13 am

Hello Herbert:
Please understand I am not Switch. I simply have a kite design contract with them. As such, my opinions are strictly my own and independent of brand. I objectively form them without prejudice from many years of continuous hands-on experience. Nothing more, nothing less.
Cheers! :thumb:

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:15 am

bouclette wrote:
kjorn wrote:On of the locals here in the UK was out on a N5 7m in very powered conditions. The kite seemed fine, his jumps were over 11m according to the Woo. It was mega gusty UK stormy winds.
Hi kjorn,

Which spot are you talking about? I was out on my N5 7m at Hill Head in the last 2 WE.

Great boosting, especially yesterday where I had it set up better. Probably beat my personal highest jump and hangtime (although probably nothing very impressive number-wise!).

Ben
South Cornwall

Return to “Kitesurfing”