flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Switch Kite Serious safety issue with the Bar Controller 2/3

Postby flysurfing » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:34 am

Hello All,

I am writing in regards of the Switch Bar V2 / V3.

I almost hit a concrete wall few months ago due to an issue which has still not be addressed on the new bar.

a. In a situation where i had to release it happened that the line did not slide through the small hole. The line only slided like 10 cm through it before being stuck. (the safety line is somehow thicker at some point not sliding through the hotel in the swivel) The kite then started to loop and dragging me in on the beach, i was about 50 of a wall when the line broke allowing the kite to flag...

b. Second situation in Greece by light wind, i was doing a downwind when the wind died (from 20 to 15 kts and dropping) so i decided to land my kite. I went to the shore on a small beach and put my kite as close as possible of the ground released the QR. Same thing happened the line got tangled and kite did few loop on the ground before landing by itself. Could have been much more dangerous if the wind was stronger.

c. To address the situation Switch sent me the controller V3 and then again same thing happened. I was doing unhook tricks and the kite got flipped over and tangled in the Bridle of the nitro v4 (bridle is too long which is why i assume they have reduced it on V5). I had to release and again same thing line not going through .. Wind was pretty light so no one got hurt.

I have been kiting since 1998 and never had such issue with any bar i owned. I sold my Nitro 4 quiver and back to Naish after few years not riding this brand. I tried the QR lately of their bar and didn't have such issue as the line can slide perfectly through the swivel.

The thing is i sold my kite to a friend and i am going to buy for him a swivel so that i can sleep at night being sure he is not going to get hurt on the beach.

Or is there anyone here having an other solution ? i was thinking drilling a hole through the swivel to make it larger but seems it will make the swivel weaker so i don't think this is a solution.

Cheers.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Switch Kite Serious safety issue with the Bar Controller

Postby sarc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:52 am

Hmmmm... release line stuck/tangles and kite bride tangles are not exclusive to switch, some (many? most?) major brands had similar problems in the past. I have found a solution that works great for me - I don't ever buy any kites with bridles and I make my own frankenbars (using Switch parts, actually.....)

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:17 pm

Hi,

I have the V2 bar, and did experience the kite not flagging. If the flagout line is pulled hard enough, it will flag, but this is not enough IMO. Once in deep water, the kite started looping, and I released the safety, but it did not flag. The force required to be dragged in deep water is less than the force required for the pigtail to slide from the swivel. And once the kite loops a few times, lines will lock together... I had to ditch the kite. Luckily, neither the kite or anybody was harmed, but could be worse if the beach had been busier.

I believe the pigtail should slide freely from the swivel. The solution I found is to enlarge to hole by drilling with a 4mm drill bit. It's just a little bit larger than the original and won't make it much weaker.
Now it releases smoothly every time.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:23 pm

Problem wasn't there with the first V2 bars. After a while I replaced my lines, and the new lines had a thicker splice (due to the thread keeping the splice in place I think) and I too noticed the lines could get a bit stuck. Wasn't a problem for release though.

But I do think it's something Switch should adress, it being bigger holes on the swivel, or thinner splices on the lines. There are too many reports of safety issues, and that's bad publicity...

What if someone does really get hurt because of a failing flagout? ...

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Been thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:25 pm

I say you sell that bar. It is too unreliable and your confidence is going to slip. If you can't feel comfortable with your own safety system how are you going to be comfortable trying out new tricks?

dimip
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: All over Naxos Island
Favorite Beaches: Glyfada Beach,
Amitis Bay
Style: My style :p
Gear: Griffin kites, Shinn monk, Rrd barracuda, F-one mitu

Postby dimip » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:41 pm

The V2 flags perfectly, 100%. Changed lines needs more force and for beginners or for light weight riders like my girlfriend that can release a 10 m in 13knots for example won't work. It needs greater force.
Solution change the swivel for a better one.. I changed it with one from liquid force and now works again 100%. Wainman swivel from other people I read that also works.
_20151202_174028.JPG

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:28 pm

As the owner of 2 switch bars and many switch kites I have never experienced this problem, but then again, I have only pulled the QR a handful of times in really high wind and it worked as advertised. That said, I would hope Switch would come up with a new swivel and offer them to existing customers to mitigate any liability down the road.

borist
Very Frequent Poster

Postby borist » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:19 pm

LiquidXtasy wrote:I say you sell that bar. It is too unreliable and your confidence is going to slip. If you can't feel comfortable with your own safety system how are you going to be comfortable trying out new tricks?
If he feels the bar is unreliable as far as safety release is concerned, selling to someone else is not appropriate.
My guess (hope) is that Switch is working on this quietly. Any accident related to this problem could be damaging to their reputation.
I own V2 bar and am not gonna use it until I replace the swivel. It has the same flag line getting stuck problem

dazarter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: kiel
Favorite Beaches: Somewhere in France
Style: freeride
Gear: Gaastra pure 2016 13, 10, 8m
crazy fly raptor pro 142x42 seaflight wave

Postby dazarter » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:43 pm

I have the v2 bar and have used it and released many times and it has always worked but i know this problem especially in light winds....you need to really pull the saftey line through with force to get the splice through the small hole. I too have considered to drill out the hole a bit bigger. i dont have a problems as i kite mainly alone and when somethings happen i would release the whole kite anyway. But it is a problem and one that should be looked at from switch - otherwise a great company making greatly priced kites....or a swivel change (but the attachments are different - new front lines?)

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Wed Dec 02, 2015 9:54 pm

I have had the same issue with Cabrinha bars. Problem can also occur if you switch from factory lines to 3rd party lines. I also moved to custom bar configurations which I know work.

Return to “Kitesurfing”