Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's your favorite lightwind kite?

Forum for kitesurfers
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: What's your favorite lightwind kite?

Postby PullStrings » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:43 pm

foilholio wrote:The best bang for buck cheapest lightwind kite is a Foil, $390 Pansh A15.

Nightmares when you drop them?

The same nightmare if you expect to relaunch an inflatable with no prior experience, training or understanding.

:D

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby sedluk » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:12 am

One of Flysurfer's slogans is everyday is a kite day. Yes, they can be a pain in the ass with all the bridle lines. If you are always in a hurry, probably not the kite for you. If you have time and you want to be one of the few and sometimes the only guy kiteboarding, the 21m Speed 4 is an amazing kite. I just left Turks and Caicos and 4 of the 7 days I was there, I was on my 21m Speed 4. They usually have more wind, but that's just that way it is.

I had a guy with a 17m come over each day and check it out. Each day I would spend over an hour kiteboarding and he sat on the beach. By the 4th day he watched me really carefully and he was wishing he had one.

There was one day where I had to work it to stay up wind and a guy on a large inflatable kite was able to make it up wind. I wish that I checked to see what kind of kite, I think he was one of the instructors.

I also own plenty of LEI kites and they have their time and place, times and places where they are the better fit.

If I did not have a 21 Speed 4, I would have been sitting on the beach. I also enjoy the smaller Speed 4 kites, some people like them, I really like them.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:58 am

I am sorry, you ride a foil but that doesn't mean you know how to use one the best. Bridles pain in the arse? If youre in a hurry not the kite for you? In a hurry 30seconds(maybe less) I can setup any foil which has been packed correctly , 2 mins relaxed having a chat. I'll concede bridles have their moments but you ride foils long enough something that would take the unlearned 10 mins takes seconds.

Their is now a whole new generation of foil kiters, suffering a shitty experience for god knows what reason. I think some of it is pride from them and the makers of the kites. You see vids from Ozone proudly proclaiming they are the experts in foil kites, no LCLs, giant pulleys, no or litttle adjustments, no drains, the list must go on to eternity. While the users disconnect/reconnect their bars, launch at the side of window and sand the entire trailing edge. Like WTF? Why not add a dance routine to your kite setup?

Weight of the rider, board size and efficiency are some critical factors in light wind or any wind. The inflatable guy is probably a pipsqueak. I remember them all vividly from when I started kiting. "Orr man orrr man no one needs anything bigger than a 10m, My 7m gets me out in 10knots". I started to think they were all clones. Runts with attitude they should be called or dipshits.

Pull the strings no crazy talk its all true. You and petemeup can be summed up pretty easy. Foil kites are too hard for you both.

Petey why don't you just stick to dude and man? at least it's entertaining.

14ToeSide
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Sandy Spit
Gear: North, Ozone, Naish, Flysurfer
Brand Affiliation: What ever works Best that year

Postby 14ToeSide » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:48 am

Your Kiddin wright ? I don't see where he said he was an Expert in flying foils? Do you? He is stoked that he didn't have 2 sit his A** on the beach his whole vacation.

:cheer: :cheer: :anon: :anon: :anon: :anon: :kiff: :kiff: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :housewife: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :desperado: :dontpanic: :dontpanic: :happybirthday: :dontpanic: :happybirthday: :happybirthday: :happybirthday:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:53 am

I didn't see him say that. It just there's a lot of vitriol flowing everywhere I am compelled. LOL. I tried to be fair and share it around a little.

You know you really do bring the mardi gras with you dont you. :-)

bigtone667
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Birdie Beach, Budgewoi Beach, Lakes Beach
Favorite Beaches: Umina Beach, Birdies Beach, Lake Munmorah, Canton, The Swamp, Le Morne
Style: surf, foiling, jumping, lawn mowing
Gear: Kites: BRM Cloud D's, Duotone Rebels, Peaks
Wings: Cloud W1 2,3,4,5, Duotone DLAB Unit 4.5/5.5/6.5
Boards: Bit of everything
Foils: AXIS and Triton Foils

Postby bigtone667 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:01 am

foilholio wrote:I didn't see him say that. It just there's a lot of vitriol flowing everywhere I am compelled. LOL. I tried to be fair and share it around a little.

You know you really do bring the mardi gras with you dont you. :-)
Regardless .... I love kiting.

Happy to use a foil, happy to use an LEI, happy to hydrofoil, happy use a surfboard, happy to use a skim board, happy to use a twinny.

Only sad when there is no wind.

whiteout
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: All kinds of kites
Has thanked: 0

Postby whiteout » Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:12 am

Ozone chrono, thanks for asking.

LiquidXtasy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The beach that's closest to my house.
Favorite Beaches: The ones with sand and water.
Style: 2 Feet on the board, 2 hands on the bar
Gear: I'm not driving right now, but when I drive I always start out in 1st.
Brand Affiliation: Your mom
Been thanked: 0

Postby LiquidXtasy » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Well I can tell you right now what my favorite kite isn't, and that's the shitty Liquid Force session you sold me :x

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:51 pm

Buddy has been killing it in sub 8kts wind on his Hydrofoil and Sonic FR 18M. I have been having a great time in sub 10kts wind on my Hydrofoil and Sonic FR 15M... On these days, there are only other foil kites and boards on the water... The only good LEI kites I have seen are the big Ozone Edges but the guy who flies these is also an accomplished foiler and Ozone fan.

- Light wind kite flying is a skill in itself and getting a bigger kite does not guarantee success without considerable practice.
- Flying foil kites is a skill in itself and requires considerable practice.
- Foil bridles are not a pain at all. Takes a couple of minutes to stretch them out.
- Hydrofoil boards rock.

Light wind kite flying with any kite is going to be a learning experience over many sessions. More so if this is also your first experience flying a foil kite. IMO, it has taken me two solid seasons of light wind to get to a point I am good and I am still not the best on the water.
Last edited by foilonfoil on Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:41 pm

i agree ...i am having an absolute blast in lite winds on my 18m sonic.......and pulling off 20-30 foot floaters 4-8 seconds hangtime is serene in that wind!!!!........love it!!!!

:cheers:

Return to “Kitesurfing”