Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Forum for kitesurfers
Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:31 pm

just a picture of my home-made connection 0.8mm vs 1.1 mm I did on my sk99 lines ; the aim is to have the 3 first metres with a thicker line to resist the wear during loops:

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:57 pm

I want to start to make my own lines for Peak4 kites. Premiumropes is local to me, are they a good option quality wise to buy thin sk99 or should I order Liros pro instead?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:13 am

Since I started kite foiling 5 years ago I wear through the lower part of my lines very rapidly, due to the massively increased frequency I spin/loop my kites, crazy good fun but kills my lower lines where the lines cross.
good job i make line sets and repair/replace all kite bar lines for a job,
i have one of my bars set up with lower sections made up from a number of options I have in stock, for sure the worst lines to use for these lower sections is the thinner type with the raised tracer type threads, these are found on the newer duotone lines, called Flyte 99 made by Robline, so abrasive to the touch its a bit like running your skin over the fine teeth of a junior hacksaw blade, yikes !! when I use that bar i always wear fabric gloves made for kite flying on beaches, they work well to avoid skin cuts if self launching landing in strong winds, also premium ropes sold me some line that is very similar with this raised filament feature, not flyte 99 as that is only available to newer duotone bars, so look out if thinking of using this line, its nice and light and thin, which sounds right for kite foiling, but i find it a worry.(just run your soft skin over the surface to test suitability)

The best solution i have found is to use a thicker armour coated smooth hard surface dyneema/spectra(same stuff different trade name) for the lower sections, 4 shorter lines, colour coded that are easy to replace, I use 1.7mm 510kg break strain for the middle 2 lines which then go down to 1.4mm 360kg for the upper lengths to reduce drag and weight, for my other bar which a reserve for strong winds and Ttip use i don't go below 510kg 1.7mm line for the centers.
anyone who is not a pro line splicer will not find the job of making these sacrificial lines easy, may sound easy, however have a go and find out for yourself, then send to me if it all goes wrong, getting the trim just right is not for a newbie to splicing skills.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post (total 2):
ieism (Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 am) • nixmatters (Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:07 am)
Rating: 6.06%

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 am

Thanks for taking the time, that helps a lot. I've ordered a splicing kit from premium ropes that comes with a length of their line to practice a bit.
I understand this is not easy, but I'm pretty patient and good at this kind of stuff so I'll get it right after enough practice.
I tend to use very small kites as I only foil freeride/wave with single skins and hardly loop at all. I have two bars that are worn, and one that I want to extend. And I foil quite a lot so the lines just wear a lot more than the bar itself.

Kitemenn
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Maasvlakte / Slufter
Gear: North Evo 11-7m / Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby Kitemenn » Fri Jun 17, 2022 2:14 pm

ieism wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 am
Thanks for taking the time, that helps a lot. I've ordered a splicing kit from premium ropes that comes with a length of their line to practice a bit.
I understand this is not easy, but I'm pretty patient and good at this kind of stuff so I'll get it right after enough practice.
I tend to use very small kites as I only foil freeride/wave with single skins and hardly loop at all. I have two bars that are worn, and one that I want to extend. And I foil quite a lot so the lines just wear a lot more than the bar itself.
Hi Ieism check this link of the dutch forum with a nice read through on making your own lines. This made a lot of sense and had some great tips by guys who are in the business for a long time

https://hanglos.nl/forum/zelf-gemaakt/t ... tivetopics

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:44 am

ieism wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:54 am
keep in touch, and get loads of practice in, the very thin line is the hard stuff to work with, 4 mm line is a walk in the park, too easy,
Premium rope company is very good, I used them right up to the UK brexit point, then orders went weird, long delays extra fees, stress, had to change my suppliers.
which was good in a way as it made me look around the worlds line makers and learn so much more, i now have thousands of pounds worth of kite line stock, lots of wonderful and weird line splicing tools, many home made, and i get in some very challenging splicing jobs,
there are some dark secrets to successful line splicing, its the fact that doing one splice in isolation is yes well easy! if you have the tools, but then make up a line set that needs accuracy in length, using different thicknesses, add in extensions to match, and it can become a whole different story,
Make a brummel splice long taper, measure the length, then stretch it out hard using 90kg, measure it again, yikes!
lines are often sent out pre stretched, but this varies a hell of a lot, and will catch out so many, often some new line stock will have 24cm of line length to stretch out using 120kg of force for each 24mtr length, and this varies with the same line line factory, is the line freshly made? that week or has it been sitting in the stock room for 4 months have a good relax shrinking back?
good job I have set up my own line stretching area of 30mtrs length, its needed for every length of line i put together.
These users thanked the author Foil for the post:
ieism (Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 am)
Rating: 3.03%

rogue_kiteboarder
Frequent Poster
Gear: Crazy Fly Bulldozer/Crazyfly Raptor LTD, Naish Pivot, Duotone Rebel, Crazyfly Hyper, Mystic Majestic X
Brand Affiliation: Kiteboarding.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby rogue_kiteboarder » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:41 am

FYI, "pros" dont know shit about what they use. They just know HOW to use it.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Sat Jun 18, 2022 8:54 am

Good tips, I will start practicing on some loose line and when that goes well ill try upgrading an old bar. I've bought a set of lines before, but I think I just prefer to tinker myself and learn it.

Return to “Kitesurfing”