Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Forum for kitesurfers
corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Postby corbett » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:00 am

foilholio wrote:SK99 is the best Dyneema , a lot of brands still use SK75 which would be the cheap stuff. Liros only recently added kite line made of SK99. Only brand I have noticed using it are Flysurfer. It's incredibly thin. They is a lot of thicker ropes available in Sk99 from many brands.

http://www.liros.com/en/products/produc ... os-dc.html. For some reason they mixed them up with their old SK75 lines.

Here they are

DC000-0161 0,83mm 175 daN

DC000-0201 1,1mm 267 daN

DC000-0301 1,5mm 445 daN

DC000-0401 1,6mm 580 daN

and here for some reason

http://www.liros.com/en/products/produc ... -sk99.html

If anyone knows a good international supplier for all liros ropes/lines please do link. They are one of the best rope makers in the world.
You mean a shop? Jimmygreenmarine in England will order it for you if they don't already have it.
They often have a 15% off code but whether they will let you use that for an order............

Last Christmas they gave me a free splicing fid(£9 worth) with a note: "I hope you find this useful. Merry Christmas". Nice.

By the way, I've looked into buying a reel of kite line and you save virtually nothing compared to pre made.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:11 am

corbett wrote:The only people using q powerline are those who do not know how to sleeve a line.

Come on, using q powerline is like going back in time. It isn't even good value.

When I started kiting, several line sleeving kits were available, one even had a removable core so no fid was even needed :D now all the sleeving kits are shit and people are just buying q line.
Having broken over 6 lines in the last year including a few sk99 lines, I moved back over to q powerline... It works fine.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:05 am

While not listed on the our webpage yet, we already tested them over this summer. We have 201 red/blue and 401 white on stock, we can make any length and any loop you need.

I see the usage in the top end/competition segment, great for light wind and race due to small diametre and very little stretching. DC201/401 are made from SK75 not SK99.

If you can't wait and you already need them feel free to write us: info (at) drtuba (dot) eu.

:bye:
foilholio wrote:SK99 is the best Dyneema , a lot of brands still use SK75 which would be the cheap stuff. Liros only recently added kite line made of SK99. Only brand I have noticed using it are Flysurfer. It's incredibly thin. They is a lot of thicker ropes available in Sk99 from many brands.

http://www.liros.com/en/products/produc ... os-dc.html. For some reason they mixed them up with their old SK75 lines.

Here they are

DC000-0161 0,83mm 175 daN

DC000-0201 1,1mm 267 daN

DC000-0301 1,5mm 445 daN

DC000-0401 1,6mm 580 daN

and here for some reason

http://www.liros.com/en/products/produc ... -sk99.html

If anyone knows a good international supplier for all liros ropes/lines please do link. They are one of the best rope makers in the world.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:35 pm

Gigi it is not physically possible to be using the same fiber SK75 while reducing diameter and increasing strength as much as they did. Line properties align with the difference between Sk75 and Sk99. Compare DC160 (160DaN)with DC201 (267DaN) same diameter. Thats a 66% increase which is huge but actually not correct as the old DC lines are all under rated a lot.

Flysurfer website
"Thanks to our cooperation with Liros and a new ultra high-strength Dyneema SK99 fiber core, we have developed new, significantly thinner race lines, which are now used for the first time in the SONIC-FR. The front lines have only 1.45mm thickness and 300kg breaking load, the back lines an amazing 0.8mm thickness and 160kg breaking load. The completely unsleeved dyneema bridle is correspondingly even thinner."

The 300kg bit must be a lie as its the same line. There is some sort of cover up at flysurfer as the exact lines were listed before and the race lines were DC201 1.1mm and now both the airstyle and race bars use 1.45mm 300kg line which is neither dc201 or dc301. If you pull open a sonic line plan you can see use of dc161.

I remember reading the news release from liros on the new line, mentioning Sk99. And the dcps-flying-line-sk99 flying line is SK99 with the exact same breaking and diameter as the new DC lines....

What exact kind of bullshit are you trying to pull?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:40 pm

HAHAHAHAH and thankyou waybackmachine

what kind of BS is flysurfer trying to pull. Lets rewrite some history shall we.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150430052 ... /sonic-fr/

"//Low Drag Lines

Thanks to our cooperation with Liros and a new ultra high-strength Dyneema SK99 fiber core, we have developed new, significantly thinner race lines, which are now used for the first time in the SONIC-FR. The front lines have only 1.2mm thickness and 200kg breaking load, the back lines an amazing 0.8mm thickness and 160kg breaking load. The completely unsleeved dyneema bridle is correspondingly even thinner."

Interesting as well info from their lineplans has been disappearing too.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:13 pm

foilholio wrote:HAHAHAHAH and thankyou waybackmachine

what kind of BS is flysurfer trying to pull. Lets rewrite some history shall we.

https://web.archive.org/web/20150430052 ... /sonic-fr/

"//Low Drag Lines

Thanks to our cooperation with Liros and a new ultra high-strength Dyneema SK99 fiber core, we have developed new, significantly thinner race lines, which are now used for the first time in the SONIC-FR. The front lines have only 1.2mm thickness and 200kg breaking load, the back lines an amazing 0.8mm thickness and 160kg breaking load. The completely unsleeved dyneema bridle is correspondingly even thinner."

Interesting as well info from their lineplans has been disappearing too.
... and they wore out and broke at the loops after two months. I added pigtails to help them wear better before swapping out q line.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:20 pm

Then they are wrong on their website as they state that they are SK75...?
foilholio wrote:Gigi it is not physically possible to be using the same fiber SK75 while reducing diameter and increasing strength as much as they did. Line properties align with the difference between Sk75 and Sk99. Compare DC160 (160DaN)with DC201 (267DaN) same diameter. Thats a 66% increase which is huge but actually not correct as the old DC lines are all under rated a lot.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:24 pm

Foilonfoil let me guess you were taking your lines on and off? New to foil kites maybe? Kinda going to help you here, leave your bar connected and buy a bar for every kite. You'll thank me after you save half an hour a session.

Gigi yes, people lie and make mistakes. Maybe it's not even sk99 but something even newer. SK99 is quite old now. Amazes me how much profit reaping there is going on in this sport to still be selling sk75 for so much.

Gigi;)
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Gigi;) » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:48 pm

I'll asked at the factory so we can comment further. I personally wouldn't use XX1 series in freestyle, only light wind/race, that is what we are aimed for (as you can see we have only 201 & 401 which are a size thicker than regular race lines).

But what I know, we changed a lot of lines over the years and we have the best results with Liros.

:bye:
foilholio wrote:
Gigi yes, people lie and make mistakes. Maybe it's not even sk99 but something even newer. SK99 is quite old now. Amazes me how much profit reaping there is going on in this sport to still be selling sk75 for so much.

PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Postby PullStrings » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:44 pm

corbett wrote: What did supaEZ used to say he did? walk up his north and core lines to the V to self land?
Fook that! no way!!!!
@Hey Mr.Do-it . I know you kite with Sup. Have you watched Ez land his kites? I researched about what corbett is referring to. May 2014 post.
@Hey Goddess corbett what's up with that ? You were not posting / participating at all that year.
You just re-appeared in 2015 and stopped completely in 2003. Fookin weird. No?

Here is the thread that i found by searching the word "centerline"
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2384787&hilit=centerline&start=20

Last edited by PullStrings on Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”