Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Forum for kitesurfers
atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Postby atomic-chomik » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:46 am

Regarding the stitching of aline, from the owner Brian and inventor of the stuff via email;

Sewing is not a problem. Normally the line is sewn on a machine using a zigzag
stitch (not to tight so as not to cut through the line) using either bonded
nylon thread or even better spectra thread.
The sewing length is usually about 1.5 inches. To make it really clean you can
shrink wrap over the end.

shlow
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Trikora, Indonesia
Changi Singapore
Gear: 16M 2011 Cabrinha SwitchBlade
12M 2012 LQ Envy
9M 2012 LQ Envy
Has thanked: 0

Postby shlow » Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:41 am

Good info... but I got lost in the discussion.

What would be the best lines out there now that will have minimal creep / stretch?

I got my Cabrinhas, Switch, Liquid Force lines all stretch by more than a ft. I am 100kg and do simple jumps.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Been thanked: 0

kite lines

Postby alamos_kiter » Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:27 am

Folks... a real life kite line has to withstand abrasion. That's the Nº1 line killer. It does not matter if the line holds 250kg or 500kg or 750kg. Small diameter equals less beef to resist abrasion.

That's why Q-Power holds forever: a tight knit cover holds the parallel fibers together in place

alford
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: all brands

Postby alford » Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:32 pm

Okay line gurus, a Q Line Pro question: Seems like most who have tried it love it. Would using this line instead of the typical standard line sold on most bars, help the average kiter or even newbie? If it would help how so?
Better feel, easier line management, less tangles? Anything else?

jmach
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby jmach » Wed Apr 20, 2016 3:52 am

Any opinions on how q lines help?

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:55 am

Don't drag lines, like when you pack up, and they will last much longer. Walk and wind or unwind.

The qpower stuff is outdated, sk99 is the best. Make sure to use spliced ends for maximum strength and add pigtails on the kite end if you remove your lines every session.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alamos_kiter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:17 am

alford wrote:Okay line gurus, a Q Line Pro question: Seems like most who have tried it love it. Would using this line instead of the typical standard line sold on most bars, help the average kiter or even newbie? If it would help how so?
Better feel, easier line management, less tangles? Anything else?
- Q power last forever.
- They are quite rigid, so they do not tangle easily
- Q power ends are not sewn, but knotted. So you might have problems with some bars / CLs where the line passes through a tiny hole.
- You just cut the loops off every 100 sessions or so, make them equal length and tie another fig 8 loop
- They are basically lines you put on your bar once, and the next time you think about buying new lines is 500 or more sessions in the future.

That's all there is.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:30 am

You can sew q power, recommended thread is spectra.

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-37574.html
Nak wrote:There are a couple of issues with Q-line to be aware of.

First, no splicing as has been mentioned. All of the strength is in the center fibers which are not braided. The outer housing provides abrasion protection only. Knots are far more tangle prone than splices or even sewn loops. Sewn loops are worse than spliced loops.

Second, even running figure 8 knots cuts your total line strength considerably. I ran a number of tests on my bench tester, and q-line broke at the knot at around 250 pounds tension, pretty darn low. Similar diameter 800# test spliceable line breaks at about 750#.

Good 800# line or even 500# line has less stretch than Q-line. The Q-line pro I tested had about twice the stretch that 800# factory lines have. Line stretch makes a huge difference in how a kite performs. I'm pretty sure I posted my tests years back, but I believe these were close to what I saw: 30# tension, 20 meter lines: 800# factory or Jerry Brown line: 1.5". 500# Factory or Jerry Brown line: 2.25"? Q-line Pro: 3". No name 800# line: 4". The no name line made the kite fly utterly and completely horrible. Too much stretch. Also, it is imperative that you use the same line left to right. Any difference in stretch left to right makes the kite damn near uncontrollable. Not really I guess, but it sure feels that way.

Do not use no name spectra line for the above reasons.

Q-line is certainly easier to make loops with, just tie a knot. However, 800# test line can also be knotted. While not ideal you still end up with about 350# breaking strength. Q-line knots are less likely to slip at all, but can still slip a little bit resulting in different line lengths.

Personally, I'd only use a knotted line as an emergency session saver. But that's everyone's personal decision. Even in an emergency, a quick spliced line only takes a minute or two if you lock the splice with super glue. (ONLY use special super glue specifically designed for spectra. If it doesn't use an activator or similar, it WILL NOT hold spectra. It may feel like it does, but the bond breaks down very easily.)
Interesting in that thread they talk about using Jerry Brown Fishing line for line sets. I use Jerry Brown Line One for bridles on my foils, it is really good and very easy to splice. I think it is higher performance dyneema than standard kite lines. Well it's actually spectra, just a different brand than dyneema, the same brand as q power. Interesting guide to making lines http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-11649.html.

Here is a list of spectra's fiber products https://www.honeywell-spectra.com/products/fibers/. Their current strongest fiber is Spectra HT 375 with a tensile strength of 45g/den. Dyneema SK75 is 3.4N-4.0N/Tex(31.2-36.7g/den) and SK90 is 3.74N-4.16N/Tex(34.3-38.12g/den). Yet to find sk99.
Last edited by foilholio on Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster

Postby alamos_kiter » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:25 am

foilholio, it's about abrasion. Tensile strength is good enough with dyneema of any sort.

Abrasion.

I'd be interested to see somebody sewing Qpower. The standard one that is. I doubt it.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:36 am

The standard q power is thicker than some of my sewn bridles on my kites. Not easy to sew for sure, but possible. I believe in production jigs are used.

Most abrasion can be reduced by handling lines better. Higher tensile means thinner and lighter lines or for the same thickness the line will last longer and be less spongy. I only see it as beneficial. If you are looking for performance I think it is a must.

There is many brands of covered lines out there other than qpower, liros for example has heaps.

Return to “Kitesurfing”