Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Forum for kitesurfers
Zian kiteboarding
Medium Poster
Gear: Aquila, Kima, Hantu
Brand Affiliation: Zian kiteboarding
Has thanked: 0

Re: Kite Lines: which ones are used by the pro?

Postby Zian kiteboarding » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:30 pm

You may want to read back from the very first post, all info from Alamos post you read back! All notes in your last post have been addressed in my posts.

And you still dont understand that it does not matter if I show you an article about creep in thick ropes or single filaments....creep is exactly the same phenomena in both...nothing changes.

It is you (not me) that said creep was a problem which is solved by pre-stretching....that is still incorrect! Also shrinking of lines has nothing to do with creep!

Your insults and ridicule miss any fundaments and yes, creep hapens to be a subject that I work on in my daily work. Creep is phenomena in many more product fields so in this case I know very well what I'm talking about.

You wrote:
http://seahorsemagazine.com/9-content/n ... holding-on
No mention of DM20 being stronger than sk99. It talks about dm20 having near zero creep. But I have read a lot about prestretching solving creep, which is coherent to my observations too. Maybe this bit of paraglider technology hasn't made it to the sailing world yet. Also says SK99 came out in 2013, it's Sk90 that came out in 2009.

My 1st posts:
@foilholio - Sorry but your information is not correct. Prestretched lines still creep (I dont say during kiting!!!!)….creep has 3 stadia and only breaking is the end of creep! Creep lowers the fibres tenacity. Prestretching decreases elasticity and “bedding in” effect.

My 2nd post:
Never the less I do aggree that on brand new lines secondary creep is not really an issue in practice as sessions are short and load is low in relation to strength of a new line......

My 3rd post:
Creep is about the dyneema fibre itself on molecular level....no matter if it is a thick rope or thin line, I just gave you a supportive background link. Somehow you assume that I dont know the benefit of pre-stretching, off course I know and I did not disagree on that...I just say that it does not magically make the creep characteristic of dynema fibres dissapear. With pre-stretching they solved the "bedding-in" elongnation and decrease the elastic elongnation of the line itself, not the secunudairy creep characteristic of the dyneema fibre. For the ease of communication people started using the term creep for all elongnation of lines.

No matter which pre-stretched dyneema SK kite line you would take, put it under constant high load and it will creep and eventualy it will creep rapture.

However, as already mentioned before, (real) creep of new commercial kitelines is most likely irrelevant in average kitesurfing conditions this is why I also note that dyneema is used in many other applications than kiting where the creep characteristic is much more of an issue (offshore mooring for example but also sailing) and that is why I also note we use the DM20 kiteline for other reasons.

My 4th post:
Elongnation of a non pre-stretched line does not mean there was creep. A line needs to "bed-in", the yarns in the line under load need to fall in their best postition so to say. This makes the line elongnate. This also created hi stretches. By pre-stretching they solve these things! You can find this back yourself by a google search as well. You can also fins back everywhere that pre-streched lines still have creep! Even suppliers tell you. They will use "low creep" (SK75 & SK90) or "very low creep" (SK78 & SK99).

Creep indeed elongnates a rope BUT is the permanent time dependent slip of molecule chains in the yarn at high load and long times accelerated by heat. It has 3 stadia. 1) Elongnation till platau which is reversible over time (this is the regime that may be involved in pre-stretching)..this is reversible over time! 2) secundairy creep (this is what is classically meant by creep and very well understood phenomena), this is the irriversible! slip of molecule chains, it is constant 3) This is an excellerated rate where the chains start to break called creep rapture.

From this definition you can see that (secundairy) creep (the permanent one) can not be solved by pre-stretching as there is no end to it! The end of creep is where the line breaks.

You can find all this back easy on the internet as well, so it makes no sense for me to keep on repeating, there is nothing to add :wink:

SK75 and SK90 have the same creep charactristic pre-stretched and non pre-stretched.
SK78 and SK99 have the same lower creep charactristic pre-stretched and non pre-stretched.
SK75-SK78-SK90-SK99 lines will stretch less after pre-stretching as it takes out other courses for stretch.

(from Marlow) Loading a line:
1 - Initial loading will result in elastic extension. This is immediate upon loading and is immediately recoverable upon release of the load (elastic contraction).
2 - After the elastic extension of the initial loading the rope will experience what is known as viscoelastic extension. This is further extension over time and is fairly limited. Unlike elastic stretch, viscoelastic stretch will only recover slowly over time once the load is released. (This is sometimes also calles creep phase 1)
3 - Finally there is creep, which is permanent, non-recoverable and time dependent. Creep occurs at the yarn molecular level when the rope is under constant load.
4 -Once the load is released and elastic and viscoelastic extension recovered the rope will ultimately have experienced an element of permanent extension. This is a factor of both creep and ‘bedding in’, which is when individual fibre components in the rope and/or splice settle into their preferred position when under load.

Pre-stretching reduces ‘bedding-in’ elongation, limit the amount of elastic elongation and improve rope (not yarn) strength.

So all is there...even without copy paste from a website. All info as Alamos posted and your comments regarding the non-importance for kitesurfing are addressed. Maybe you missed it, maybe you simply dont want to see. Quite sure that between insulting and redicule you also learned something from the "discussion" but guess it is not in your nature to admit. Feel free to post more insults. Wishing you the best anyway! :D
Last edited by Zian kiteboarding on Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilholio » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:47 pm

I see the little edited fairies have been at work

better lock this one down cause it's gold, then I'm off ,too many creeps here.
Zian kiteboarding wrote: From this definition you can see that (secundairy) creep (the permanent one) can not be solved by pre-stretching as there is no end to it! The end of creep is where the line breaks.
Thank you for that, there is no end to this thread, this thread ends when we stop posting.

I think you suffer from what I like to call over education. I think we have a fundamental difference in belief in what is permanence.

You need to spend less time reading books and more looking at a real/actual things.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Dec 30, 2015 6:28 pm

foilholio wrote:I see the little edited fairies have been at work

better lock this one down cause it's gold, then I'm off ,too many creeps here.
Zian kiteboarding wrote: From this definition you can see that (secundairy) creep (the permanent one) can not be solved by pre-stretching as there is no end to it! The end of creep is where the line breaks.
Thank you for that, there is no end to this thread, this thread ends when we stop posting.

I think you suffer from what I like to call over education. I think we have a fundamental difference in belief in what is permanence.

You need to spend less time reading books and more looking at a real/actual things.
You're the creep in this thread :lol:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 31, 2015 12:21 am

I saw that coming when I typed it. lol. Who knows maybe its true :evil:, god that is a shit evil emoji

:duel: I think theres two more you missed.

Let me help , you should add. "I think you are what I like to call under educated. You should read more books and spend less time posting on the internet" lol which would be true.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Thu Dec 31, 2015 5:53 am

I actual read a bit more than the title of that article you posted Zian https://www.dsm.com/content/dam/dsm/dyn ... ations.pdf

it's quite good, but a bit complicated and long. I don't think I will go fully through it. I see they actually mainly test yarn and not rope. Which is good but still not as good as filament/fiber testing. There is a nice photo of a filament rupture.

I think a lot of our disagreements stems from the misunderstanding of the word creep. Elongation would be a better word to use as used in that article. But as far as I am concerned creep and stretch are both forms for elongation as well.
Zian kiteboarding wrote:@foilholio - Sorry but your information is not correct. Prestretched lines still creep….creep has 3 stadia and only breaking is the end of creep! Creep lowers the fibres tenacity. Prestretching decreases elasticity and “bedding in” effect.
My original disagreement is with this statement. I now agree with part of it in some way. A pre elongated line could elongate further. But again I have seen no evidence of this in kite lines. After reading some of that article I can see that preelongating at an elevated temperature will reduce elongation rate and make the fibers more stable at higher temperatures.

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:56 am

foilholio, hint: be humble, and when somebody goes out of his way to explain you stuff he knows, don't insult him on the base of your ignorance. Because if you do, you will find people simply stop talking to you.

I say that because I think you can't be much older than 17. If I thought you were older, I'd ignore you for trolling.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.

Postby foilonfoil » Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:20 am

+1 - Great info in this thread. Thanks all!

faklord
Frequent Poster

Postby faklord » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:55 pm

So. Do any of you guys using q line have single line flag out?
If so how do you cope with pulling the flagging line termination (presumably a figure of eight knot) through the stopper (I guess this could just be bypassed) and through the quick release?

alamos_kiter
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: yes, I use gear.
Been thanked: 0

Postby alamos_kiter » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:16 pm

Yup, Qpower, release to single front line. Leash attachment point is above the trim strap, ring / ring, old school. No line going through the QR. The leash goes from the spreader up to the ring, same length as depower line, all nice and snug.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:20 pm

Is qpower US only or something? You never hear anyone talking about it over here...

Return to “Kitesurfing”