Woo vs Xensr

forum for kitesurfers

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Woo vs Xensr

Postby Tone » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:09 pm

g0nz0 wrote:
Tone wrote:yeah that looks way off!!!

There is no way the speed is right, no way you're doing 46 mph. I use a speed board and when I am hauling ass, anything over 40 it looks WAY faster than that. Also it was odd why you're going so fast when leaving the water, it doesn't make sense.

Sorry.
The speed on the vid is kph?

Xensr units will be here this week in the UK. We have 5 coming to 24-7 Boardsports. One will almost certainly be going on demo, so we'll be out on one as soon as the wind kicks in. Will back to back it with garmin and gt31.
yeah I know it is, I converted it to MPH for context for us non KPH types!! ;)

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:11 pm

g0nz0 wrote:
Shifty33 wrote:Did you really max at 20m? That speed looks way off as well.
Be interesting to see the actual Xensr GPS data log.... Normally a super high max speed is an error at just one point in the data and you can discount it. I would have thought that the Xensr software might have cleaned up data errors. Anyone know what format the GPS track on the xensr is recorded in?

If the spike in the data, where the max speed point is, gets recorded over several data points, ie you can see the acceleration/deceleration either side then it looks more likely to have actually happened.
I dont think a reading of 75kph/46mph is that unusual for very short periods in kiting especially landing fast from a big jump or crashing. Either way, if you can look at the data you will see.

Dan
I have a Suunto ambit 3, and I wear it when I am kiting all the time. Even on a massive jump and loop, I never get close to 35 mph unless it is huge, over 40 is insane for standard jumps. For a kiteloop you may get over 40 but you should be at the RBKOA if you're landing at 40mph from a loop!

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: C/Fly, Ozone, Cabrinha, Concept X Ruler Split.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby badgb21 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:09 pm

Oh, I thought you could get 40knts and 25m jumps strapless on a foil board, in 6 knots of wind, a 6m LEI and 1ft of water! Oh and of course, only if you have your center lines attached to your spine through your navel, for that really low down V! :rollgrin:

bob10
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby bob10 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:15 pm

ahhh. more bullshit guesswork from a device.

You do not get over 40mph in jumps. 40mph is fucking fast

Savib
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Style: Try any and all
Gear: Fly surfer, switch , north, Bws,Shinn,firewire

Postby Savib » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:35 am

GG-Fluidkiteboarding wrote:I have had the woo and Xensr both.

unfortunatly i did have some issues with testing them both (read Woo broke). in the beginning i had issues with my Xensr too and takes a little getting used to.
after updating the firmware it has been working superbly
So to clarify, you updated firmware on xensr because you had some problems?

As far as I know only one version exhists 1.0 and that was the one installed out of the box.

What was your firmware version before you updated?

I only ask as I'm having a few issues with mine and defiantly thinking accuracy is suspect. The best results so far have been when you start and stop the recording via the app and you must have gps lock at the start and the end.

Yesterday I had a 20m jump, I don't jump 20m I'd say it was closer to 8-9meters.

Savib
Rare Poster

Postby Savib » Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:30 am

Unless mine is broken I'm calling inaccuracies for sure. 3 sessions now and I truly only believe one. Tried to update the software and it cannot be downloaded from site. Although looks like the file may have been called 1.0.8 so that looks promising as my version is 1.0.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:04 am

bob10 wrote:ahhh. more bullshit guesswork from a device.

What Ali said!

joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, LF, Nobile, North, Ozone

Postby joriws » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:56 am

bob10 wrote:ahhh. more bullshit guesswork from a device.

Why it is bullshit? Tomtom action cam is the video source with it's own integrated GPS and IMU-sensors. On video speed gets >70kph in downward flight phase. Then secondary device Xensr (screenshot) report max speed for the session to be >70kph (75.5kph or something). With Xensr data because of GPS you could even verify it in relation to video. Overlay Xenrs GPS data on top of video with DashWare. With Dashware you could really align two GPS together via timestamps and verify that both indicate similar top speed at same time.

So arguments against you - there are two different GPS devices stating >70kph speeds reached and on one video saying it is on flight.

Dashware:
phpBB [video]

--

And to original topic... Woo just cannot do that.. :) And you want to believe Woo which "measures" your jump height with sub-human-hair accuracy and gives to hall of fame 36m jumps.. :o

Shifty33
Rare Poster

Postby Shifty33 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:31 pm

How's that xensr leaderboard doing? App? Oh yeah... GPS isn't meant for measuring height so that doesnt make the device more accurate. Think woo has done a great job socially and the leaderboard has shown for itself the device works. Top riders in the world are at the top! I can claim I jump 50 60 70 but the device has proven otherwise and honestly it is a reality check for better or worse. I am not Hadlow or Kevin, nor am I the best looking guy out there and dating a super model. It's a sad truth that I just have to accept... Sure there maybe anomalies that happen but overall the experience is dead on, the device works and is accurate enough. The best is when you think only "yours" is broken and swap with buddy only to find its "you" that just suck at jumping.

Savib
Rare Poster

Postby Savib » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:41 am

Another sesh and another disappointment, sent messages to support but nothing back yet. My take is the speed appears ok, gps is fairly accurate as long as you carefully lock the device. Hang time on jumps (kitesurfing) appears accurate. I say this as it showed 2seconds more time under my 21 fly surfer than a regular pump up. Today when fully lit on a 12 lei I was able to do the same tricks as my fly surfer (board off wise) and the hang time average moved up from 5.5 to 7,s. Not calibrated I understand but relatively it looks the goods.

Jump heights are getting worse every session, today 203 meters.... Yesterday I was clocking up jumps when I blew of the kite and was resetting the bar.

So on a hunch, I've updated the firmware (looks the same to me) and removed all the files as its still some sort of ssd drive and maybe everything after the first few write blocks gets corrupted. My first session had no superhuman jumps.

Anyways like I said everything else appears very close I would be totally stoked if it was performing as per the first session. Anyways i'm hopeful the firmware and clearance of the ssd will help.

Anyone else got some feedback? Just want to make sure I'm not the only one with issues? I assume not as support may be overrun hence no replies to my emails.

Return to “Kitesurfing”