Woo vs Xensr

Forum for kitesurfers
joriws
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Flysurfer, HQ, Moses, Nobile, North, Ozone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Woo vs Xensr

Postby joriws » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:04 pm

I could be convinced. There is no woo monthly subscription so hard to get constant money inflow and to get salaries paid. And nobody would report this with long time established kiteforum account.

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby NHKitesurfer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 5:59 pm

exWOO wrote:Normally, I would state that WOO surely must be better since I’ve worked on its software. But as a WOO ex-worker that has been unpaid for a couple of months of their work, I guess it’s safer to go with the other guys device. If a company doesn’t pay their people, it might mean they are not going to survive much longer.
All the best,
Concerned ex-WOO
Ouch! Hardware is tough to make money on and I hope they turn things around. All good guys.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:39 pm

exWOO wrote:Normally, I would state that WOO surely must be better since I’ve worked on its software. But as a WOO ex-worker that has been unpaid for a couple of months of their work, I guess it’s safer to go with the other guys device. If a company doesn’t pay their people, it might mean they are not going to survive much longer.
All the best,
Concerned ex-WOO
No wonder about this ! Two of my woo broken, unresponsive customer service (had to escalate it to social media to get an answer), leaderboard on my local spot being taken over by a guy doing a 14m jump in 16 knots ....

Seems the future not bright for woo...

fogmeister
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ontario
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer, ALPINEFOIL

Postby fogmeister » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:49 pm

16 kts gusting to 20........on a foilboard with a guy that knows wat he is doing......every day!!

kjorn
Very Frequent Poster

Postby kjorn » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:14 pm

flysurfing wrote:
All the best,
Concerned ex-WOO
No wonder about this ! Two of my woo broken, unresponsive customer service (had to escalate it to social media to get an answer), leaderboard on my local spot being taken over by a guy doing a 14m jump in 16 knots ....

Seems the future not bright for woo...
New new hashtag system they have seems like it'll solve that sort of thing, so you can have #spot-spring-2017 or something so the bullshit jumps get filtered out.

But there really needs to be an open source site that all these devices can post to.

tanre
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Long Beach, CT
Favorite Beaches: Crandon Park, FL
Style: freestyle
Gear: Best, Core, LF

Postby tanre » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:24 pm

I bought the Trace:

http://www.traceup.com/

So far pretty happy with it

Don Monnot
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby Don Monnot » Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:31 pm

Anybody compare results among all three? Woo, Xensr and Trace?

I'll probably wait until Trace gets a little more of a track record before buying one of the three.

Don

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:52 pm

there are actually 4 devices on the market now (WOO, Trace, Xensr,PIQ)
Trace does ok in mild conditions, however it looses 30% of jumps in higher wind conditions.
This was brought up many times on their "closed" FB group. The response form dev was that they filter out "suspicious" jumps, like jumps over 6 seconds, etc.. Because their devs don't believe it is physically possible to jump 20m or have 8 sec hangtime..
Originally they had some 20 meter / 3.3 seconds jumps in their leader-boards and people complained that it was not physically possible.. so their approach was to just put some thresholds.. Anyway.. it did not looks like there were making any progress with the software, so I just returned the unit back to them..
On the woo, mine just died a few days ago (after about 8 months / 100 sessions).. I submitted a long form (they request pics, videos, etc) and got response on the next business day.. Looks like they are going to replace it.. Seems like a normal customer service to me..
One last thing, woo is the only kite specific sensor, made by kite surfers.. Other 3 were started as something else (surf, golf, ski) and added kite-surfing to expand sales..

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Sun May 21, 2017 6:54 am

Just checking in if anyone has received the newer (2017?) Xensr? I wanted to purchase one, but they weren't ready to ship in time for a trip in December 2016. I saw the 'preorder' status keep getting pushed back every month, and email inquiry about current shipping dates merely stated that they are 'working to get all preorders fulfilled', then will have a better idea of shipping date (the response email was quick at least). vaporware? (maybe we need a new phrase for that now that vaporware is now an actual product category). How long between 'pre-ordering' and receiving?

Six months later I ended up getting a Trace, which is pretty good, but not exactly oriented towards kiters even when you select kiting as the activity. I do like the gps data overlay, with the clickthrough for each tack (wave) with its registered events.

davedej
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Zandvoort, Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: Table view Capetown
Canos de meca Spain
Style: freestyle
Gear: North Dice 2016 5/7/9/11 m
Ride clash 140 2.1
Brand Affiliation: We Test Kites

Postby davedej » Sun May 21, 2017 7:56 am

We got a request from Xensr to repeat the test with the new version late 2016. Of course we wanted that. Up until now we still are waiting for the hardware to be able to test it.
Dave
We Test Kites

Return to “Kitesurfing”