Kiting since: 2004
Local Beach: Britannia beach
Favorite Beaches: Shippigan beaches a great as are all in Exuma
Style: freeride
Gear: cab
Brand Affiliation: None

2016 switchblade and overdrive 1x trim lite bar

Postby Ganggreen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:07 am

Just got back from a great trip to Prea, Brazil. Got 15 out of 17 days riding. New 2016 9m switchblade with new overdrive 1x with trim lite bar.

Great kite and bar! Few notes......found that when I dropped kite in the water it would have a tendancy to roll/invert more easily than other model years I have owned.....no big issue but def. noticed. Also had the issue with the flagging line on new bar.....Knot gets stuck coming through tubing.....pain in the ass and def should be addressed. Anyone else have these or any other issues with this set-up.

Prea never fails as a great destination......Stayed at hotel Kite Brazil. Excellent pousada. Rent a buggy if you go and have the coin.....you won't regret it!

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Re: 2016 switchblade and overdrive 1x trim lite bar

Postby matth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:44 am

You need to have tension on the flag out line to reset without it getting hung up. If the kite is flagged and there is some wind there should be enough tension to reset smoothly. When on the beach just stand on flag out line and stretch out line and bar will reset .
This should have been fixed by now and is the only negative on this bar IMO.

foilonfoil
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: El Segundo, CA / Torrance, CA / San Pedro, CA / Belmont Shore, CA / Seal Beach, CA
Favorite Beaches: Event Site, Hood River, OR / Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sherman Island, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 2 FR 11/13/15/18, Core Section 5/7/9/12, Alpinefoil 4.5/5.0 Carbon / Spotz Shark

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:48 am

Same lame problem with 2015 bar which Cabrinha have yet to address. I flagged out on the water once and could not reset so a swim to shore and 20 minutes screwing around on the beach before I could reset it. The knot gets caught internally... IMO, pos and I have moved on to other bars...

New bar design in 2014, 2015 and now 2016 and they still cannot get it right.

Ganggreen
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Britannia beach
Favorite Beaches: Shippigan beaches a great as are all in Exuma
Style: freeride
Gear: cab

Postby Ganggreen » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:51 pm

Damn expensive too. That is a shame......

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog
Style: Freeride
Gear: 8m,10m, 12, EVOS, 15.5 Switch Helium . Shinn Monk 32x 41, Monk 37x44, Sector 54

Postby matth » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 pm

Ganggreen wrote:Damn expensive too. That is a shame......
You can get a non adjustable trimlite bar for under 400$
The reset issue is annoying and should have been fixed, but it is a very good bar otherwise. great QR, excellent lines , soft floating ends, simple clam cleat, below bar swivel, and of coarse the PU tubing that many brands are now offering..

Bertrand_Rome
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 4
Local Beach: Swansea - Wales, UK
Knokke Duinebergen - Belgium
Gear: Vegas 2013 7m, 9m, Ozone Enduro V1 2016 12m

Postby Bertrand_Rome » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:39 am

Hi guys,
do you know if that problem has been solved on the 2017 models ?? (either the recoil or the trimlite, but I suppose they will both have the same internal line guide construction in the PU tube anyway..?)

Because I have the Fixed bar recoil 2015 and this knot problem only gets worse with time as the knots get bigger and the bungee part more damaged..... so I am looking at upgrading to a 2017 trimlite with then a new lower saftey line IF problem solved.

What do you think?
Cheers

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 0

Postby Clew In » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:00 pm

It's a problem and check the knot that is hanging up when you pull it through as it will get worn and will break.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2393441

badgb21
Frequent Poster
Gear: C/Fly, Shinn, Ozone, Cabrinha

Postby badgb21 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm

The 2016 1X 52cm is on sale here in UK at $280 equiv. (£199 incl shipping) You get the feeling they are maybe built to a price and not the Rolls Royce we were led to believe!
Still a good bar. Have checked mine and some need a tug but they all worked well enough to flag out. Not sure they'd re-set in a light wind.....
A couple of flag and re-sets will break them in!

(Matt - I'm in Mass in Oct, (you'd need to collect from Milford) let me know if you want me to bring one over for you - bargain price ;)

matth wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 pm
The reset issue is annoying and should have been fixed, but it is a very good bar otherwise. great QR, excellent lines , soft floating ends, simple clam cleat, below bar swivel, and of coarse the PU tubing that many brands are now offering..

Cab Driver
Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm
The 2016 1X 52cm is on sale here in UK at $280 equiv. (£199 incl shipping) You get the feeling they are maybe built to a price and not the Rolls Royce we were led to believe!
Still a good bar. Have checked mine and some need a tug but they all worked well enough to flag out. Not sure they'd re-set in a light wind.....

(Matt - I'm in Mass in Oct, (you'd need to collect from Milford) let me know if you want me to bring one over for you - bargain price ;)

matth wrote:
Just so everyone knows, we are onto 2018 now, so talking about 2016 as if it's new is a little far fetched. The internals of the control system with regards to the security line were re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load.

Clew In
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Clew In » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:43 am

Cab Driver wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm

matth wrote:

Just so everyone knows, we are onto 2018 now, so talking about 2016 as if it's new is a little far fetched. The internals of the control system with regards to the security line were re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load.

Just so everyone knows, It is not far fetched when this was brought up in 2016:
Clew In wrote: It's a problem and check the knot that is hanging up when you pull it through as it will get worn and will break.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2393441

I was told from corporate I was not cleaning the sand out of the PU tube. And it was causing the wear............

Total Bull Skating and they had to know of the problems.

Also, Cabbie what is the deal with all the black smudge from the pu tubes from 2016 bars? (Maybe I missed your response from that thread also)

Tight Lines

Clew In

Return to “Kitesurfing”