Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: 2016 switchblade and overdrive 1x trim lite bar

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm

Clew In wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:43 am
Cab Driver wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm

Also, Cabbie what is the deal with all the black smudge from the pu tubes from 2016 bars? (Maybe I missed your response from that thread also)

Tight Lines

Clew In
Sand will cause wear on the SLF bungee security line for sure!!! If your SLF bungee security line has the thin sewn loop on the leash end and thick sewn loop on the end that connects via loop-to-loop to the lower 8m front line (2015/2016), then you can invert that line so long as you also change out the Powerbracket Seat to the 2018 model (light gray). This reduces the size of the loop-to-loop knot and makes the reset, when not under load, easy. You must replace the Powerbracket Seat for this to work.

Make no mistake, the SLF bungee security line is a wear and tear bit in the overall control system meaning that if it's deployed a lot (I mean A LOT), it will wear out and need to be replaced like brakes on a car. It's in the user manual to frequently check the condition of all control lines and that knot is critical and also super easy to evaluate before each session.

Black smudge is actually alloy coming off the center fitting. 2017 and 2018 center fitting is changed now to stainless steel. It was alloy for years and years.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 am
Bartolo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am
Cab Driver wrote:

Just so everyone knows, we are onto 2018 now, so talking about 2016 as if it's new is a little far fetched. The internals of the control system with regards to the security line were re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load.
Well you mentioned this passingly, to my surpirse, in another thread as well a couple of weeks ago. It's interesting however that this (security line re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load) has never been communicated before by Cabrinha. I never heard or read about this from any (Cabrinha-) website, user forum or dealer.

Or have I missed something Cab driver?

I for sure would never ever have bought a 2016 bar last spring, would I had known this malfunctioning of the security line. Especially not as it appeared to be solved in the follow up 2017 edition. As you may understand, I feel kind of misinformed, too put it mildly, even though I love my Cabrinha kites and been using several models for years.

I am looking forward to your reaction.
First off, I'm not throwing this feedback aside. If you go back and read my response, I provide simple facts so that rumors wouldn't be taken as fact, and so that current inline product isn't mistakenly generalized with feedback from prior seasons' equipment. Feedback from 2015 was that a smoother reset of the landing line (the reset of the loop is the best in the market - period) was needed specifically when the system was NOT under load, so there was a redesign during 2016 that was launched with 2017/18 product. We also changed the way the entire loop or fireball attaches the spinning handle and made the depower mainline easier to dis-assemble and assemble reducing time necessary to service the system. This doesn't mean 2015/2016 is defective, it means we are listening and we made improvements based on feedback consumers, schools, and retailers. If you are eluding to instances where your system won't deploy, then that's not right and should be treated like a warranty with the product brought to the retailer for action. I can snap a few photos of the main differences if you all would like to see the changes.

Again, 2015/2016 was designed and fully tested. If your system isn't deploying, take it to your retailer and they should be able to identify what needs to be serviced to ensure that it is deploying properly. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, but keep in mind that I'm not on the forum every day; I'm rather sporadic with the forum really.
Thanks for your answer. You mention a couple of things that have been redesigned but i find this a bit confusing. I like to get this clear. My issue is simply the lower landingline, and more specifically the upperknot connecting to the powerline, that is too thick too pass thru the pu tube (opening). Most of the times flagging my kite is no problem because of the load of the kite will pull it thru the dead point. But I need to use force to pull the landingline back to reset the system. Once there is some sand involved, which happens when you use it for selflanding on a beach, I need to use really lots of force but many times I can just forget about it. I first need the flush all sand off in the water and then i'm able, with some force, to pull the langdingline back thru the pu-tube.
Off course the stangnating knot means more wear and tear for the knot/lines.

My question:
1. Would you say this is expected normal functioning of the 2016 bar following the design? Or would you think i have a misfunctioning one?
2. If normal, has this issue been fixed since 2017, presumably by a larger inside diameter of pu-tube i guess?

Thanks again.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Cab Driver wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:45 pm
Clew In wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:43 am
Cab Driver wrote:

Also, Cabbie what is the deal with all the black smudge from the pu tubes from 2016 bars? (Maybe I missed your response from that thread also)

Tight Lines

Clew In
Sand will cause wear on the SLF bungee security line for sure!!! If your SLF bungee security line has the thin sewn loop on the leash end and thick sewn loop on the end that connects via loop-to-loop to the lower 8m front line (2015/2016), then you can invert that line so long as you also change out the Powerbracket Seat to the 2018 model (light gray). This reduces the size of the loop-to-loop knot and makes the reset, when not under load, easy. You must replace the Powerbracket Seat for this to work.

Make no mistake, the SLF bungee security line is a wear and tear bit in the overall control system meaning that if it's deployed a lot (I mean A LOT), it will wear out and need to be replaced like brakes on a car. It's in the user manual to frequently check the condition of all control lines and that knot is critical and also super easy to evaluate before each session.

Black smudge is actually alloy coming off the center fitting. 2017 and 2018 center fitting is changed now to stainless steel. It was alloy for years and years.
Cab Driver, Please do me a favor, can you answer my previous questions..?

Return to “Kitesurfing”