Forum for kitesurfers
badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Re: 2016 switchblade and overdrive 1x trim lite bar

Postby badgb21 » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 am

Just a second here, firstly I am a Cabrinha Fan-Boy, so what I say is for the good of the brand, I'm not here to slag it.
Cab Driver I think you are playing this one wrong, there are a number of shops here in UK and USA selling the 2016 bars - new.
That makes it a current problem.
I tested two bars right out the plastic and yes the lines were tougher to pull than I'd like, but you have to assume some bars out there will be unacceptable given normal production tolerances.
Please just find a solution and respond positively to this problem rather than over defending it and suggesting they are old bars and everything is hunky dory now, 2 years on.

Cab Driver wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:07 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:21 pm
The 2016 1X 52cm is on sale here in UK at $280 equiv. (£199 incl shipping) You get the feeling they are maybe built to a price and not the Rolls Royce we were led to believe!
Still a good bar. Have checked mine and some need a tug but they all worked well enough to flag out. Not sure they'd re-set in a light wind.....
A couple of flag and re-sets will break them in!

(Matt - I'm in Mass in Oct, (you'd need to collect from Milford) let me know if you want me to bring one over for you - bargain price ;)

matth wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 pm

You can get a non adjustable trimlite bar for under 400$
The reset issue is annoying and should have been fixed, but it is a very good bar otherwise. great QR, excellent lines , soft floating ends, simple clam cleat, below bar swivel, and of coarse the PU tubing that many brands are now offering..
Just so everyone knows, we are onto 2018 now, so talking about 2016 as if it's new is a little far fetched. The internals of the control system with regards to the security line were re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load.

ragzilla
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: none
Style: break shit!!!!!
Gear: slingy
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby ragzilla » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:23 am

WORST BAR EVER!!!!!!!!

bought one new thinking it would be great to have one bar for all my kites.
used it for 30minutes, then swapped over to my old frankenbar.
Sold it within 48hours for half what I payed for it.

Cabrinha bars are like masturbating with a condom on..... it doesn't feel right, and it's all just un-necessary.

WORST BAR EVER!!

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am

Cab Driver wrote:
badgb21 wrote:
The 2016 1X 52cm is on sale here in UK at $280 equiv. (£199 incl shipping) You get the feeling they are maybe built to a price and not the Rolls Royce we were led to believe!
Still a good bar. Have checked mine and some need a tug but they all worked well enough to flag out. Not sure they'd re-set in a light wind.....

(Matt - I'm in Mass in Oct, (you'd need to collect from Milford) let me know if you want me to bring one over for you - bargain price ;)

matth wrote:
Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:04 pm

You can get a non adjustable trimlite bar for under 400$
The reset issue is annoying and should have been fixed, but it is a very good bar otherwise. great QR, excellent lines , soft floating ends, simple clam cleat, below bar swivel, and of coarse the PU tubing that many brands are now offering..
Just so everyone knows, we are onto 2018 now, so talking about 2016 as if it's new is a little far fetched. The internals of the control system with regards to the security line were re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load.
Well you mentioned this passingly, to my surpirse, in another thread as well a couple of weeks ago. It's interesting however that this (security line re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load) has never been communicated before by Cabrinha. I never heard or read about this from any (Cabrinha-) website, user forum or dealer.

Or have I missed something Cab driver?

I for sure would never ever have bought a 2016 bar last spring, would I had known this malfunctioning of the security line. Especially not as it appeared to be solved in the follow up 2017 edition. As you may understand, I feel kind of misinformed, too put it mildly, even though I love my Cabrinha kites and been using several models for years.

I am looking forward to your reaction.

Bartolo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Local Beach: WIjk aan Zee Netherlands
Style: old school jumping / wave
Gear: Eleveight
Brand Affiliation: Eleveight kites

Postby Bartolo » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:55 am

badgb21 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:18 am
Just a second here, firstly I am a Cabrinha Fan-Boy, so what I say is for the good of the brand, I'm not here to slag it.
Cab Driver I think you are playing this one wrong, there are a number of shops here in UK and USA selling the 2016 bars - new.
That makes it a current problem.
Cab Driver wrote:
badgb21 wrote:
You can add The Netherlands, Germany, France to your list...

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 am

Bartolo wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am
Cab Driver wrote:
badgb21 wrote:

Well you mentioned this passingly, to my surpirse, in another thread as well a couple of weeks ago. It's interesting however that this (security line re-engineered in 2017 to ensure a smooth deployment and reset, and an easier reset when not under load) has never been communicated before by Cabrinha. I never heard or read about this from any (Cabrinha-) website, user forum or dealer.

Or have I missed something Cab driver?

I for sure would never ever have bought a 2016 bar last spring, would I had known this malfunctioning of the security line. Especially not as it appeared to be solved in the follow up 2017 edition. As you may understand, I feel kind of misinformed, too put it mildly, even though I love my Cabrinha kites and been using several models for years.

I am looking forward to your reaction.
First off, I'm not throwing this feedback aside. If you go back and read my response, I provide simple facts so that rumors wouldn't be taken as fact, and so that current inline product isn't mistakenly generalized with feedback from prior seasons' equipment. Feedback from 2015 was that a smoother reset of the landing line (the reset of the loop is the best in the market - period) was needed specifically when the system was NOT under load, so there was a redesign during 2016 that was launched with 2017/18 product. We also changed the way the entire loop or fireball attaches the spinning handle and made the depower mainline easier to dis-assemble and assemble reducing time necessary to service the system. This doesn't mean 2015/2016 is defective, it means we are listening and we made improvements based on feedback consumers, schools, and retailers. If you are eluding to instances where your system won't deploy, then that's not right and should be treated like a warranty with the product brought to the retailer for action. I can snap a few photos of the main differences if you all would like to see the changes.

Again, 2015/2016 was designed and fully tested. If your system isn't deploying, take it to your retailer and they should be able to identify what needs to be serviced to ensure that it is deploying properly. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, but keep in mind that I'm not on the forum every day; I'm rather sporadic with the forum really.

foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby foilonfoil » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:38 am

Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:03 am

First off, I'm not throwing this feedback aside. If you go back and read my response, I provide simple facts so that rumors wouldn't be taken as fact, and so that current inline product isn't mistakenly generalized with feedback from prior seasons' equipment. Feedback from 2015 was that a smoother reset of the landing line (the reset of the loop is the best in the market - period) was needed specifically when the system was NOT under load, so there was a redesign during 2016 that was launched with 2017/18 product. We also changed the way the entire loop or fireball attaches the spinning handle and made the depower mainline easier to dis-assemble and assemble reducing time necessary to service the system. This doesn't mean 2015/2016 is defective, it means we are listening and we made improvements based on feedback consumers, schools, and retailers. If you are eluding to instances where your system won't deploy, then that's not right and should be treated like a warranty with the product brought to the retailer for action. I can snap a few photos of the main differences if you all would like to see the changes.

Again, 2015/2016 was designed and fully tested. If your system isn't deploying, take it to your retailer and they should be able to identify what needs to be serviced to ensure that it is deploying properly. Feel free to PM me with specific questions, but keep in mind that I'm not on the forum every day; I'm rather sporadic with the forum really.
Resetting the system easily is important both on land and in water. As you state, it did not work in 2015/2016 and when I personally contacted Cabrinha, my issue was ignored/dismissed yet you clearly state there was as issue and it was "fixed". I honestly don't believe anything that Cabrinha has to say about functionality, reliability, or factory support. Fortunately there are other much better choices. The fact is the problem resetting can also interfere with deployment... The PU tube/safety release junction is too narrow. Cabrinha should just stop making bars.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 am

Separating rumour from fact is a difficult task, you might need to work on that.
Most will appreciate the liability consequences of admitting too much, but your lawyers need to give you some better wording on this to make it clearer, it's hurting the brand.

It is quite clear some 2015/16 bars have issues with the flagging line travel. I have no doubt you tested it, but the fact remains there is a problem, at least for some.
Your advice to return to your retailer is solid, however, that's not always easy, for a wide number of reasons.
Many owners are 'engineering minded' and need to see a solution. A replacement part made available and a YouTube video is probably in the grasp of most.
Please can you advise what exactly a retailer will replace to ensure it is deploys properly. Is there a replacement part or mod available or will they just put the same new part in and hope it's better?

Please relay to corporate that we owners and future owners of new bars on the shelf (world wide) need a solution to this serious problem, that we can all access and fix.

The continued development of the features on the bar are to be recognised, e.g. the loop reset. The more cynical amongst us will see the 'easy to disassemble' improvements driven by the ability to change to the 'Fireball' rather than a service driven improvement!

Anyway there's a problem with a bit of string travelling up a tube - please get it sorted and stop harming the brand!

[/quote]

[/quote]

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:08 pm

I use the 2015/2016 bar - never had an issue flagging or reassembling in the water or on land.
There is some friction on the safety line but as soon as there is some load from the kite there is no issue.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:15 pm

badgb21 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 am
The more cynical amongst us will see the 'easy to disassemble' improvements driven by the ability to change to the 'Fireball' rather than a service driven improvement!
Wrong. If you ever replaced a 2015/2015 depower mainline, you would understand why the change was made. If you are going to get all aggressive with me with your other comments, then I can't help you. Feel free to PM me if I can help direct you to the right place to get you service.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Langebaan
Cape Verde

Postby badgb21 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:18 am

I hardly think my responses have been 'Aggressive'! Perhaps you should re-read them.
Folks slagging your bar with capital letters may fall into this category, but I take exception to you comment.

I have seen the video cabrinha did for the 2016 bar breakdown and yes it looks poorly designed and complicated to disassemble. It invited some interesting comment I recall.
However, it is not impossible to do with some care and time and the right replacement parts!

Love and kisses!

Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:15 pm
badgb21 wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:23 am
The more cynical amongst us will see the 'easy to disassemble' improvements driven by the ability to change to the 'Fireball' rather than a service driven improvement!
Wrong. If you ever replaced a 2015/2015 depower mainline, you would understand why the change was made. If you are going to get all aggressive with me with your other comments, then I can't help you. Feel free to PM me if I can help direct you to the right place to get you service.
Last edited by badgb21 on Fri Sep 22, 2017 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”