Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Which 12m kite ?

Forum for kitesurfers
foilonfoil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Belmont Shore, CA / Hood River, OR
Favorite Beaches: Crissy Field, San Francisco, CA / Benicia, CA / Sail Bay, San Diego, CA / Hermosa Beach, CA
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic Race, Core Section V1's, MikesLab Foil, Camet Boards.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Which 12m kite ?

Postby foilonfoil » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:39 am

plummet wrote: Reading through this thread I see dudes recommending kites with some personal experiences. But certainly no bias remarks and secrete agenda's........... apart from perhaps the switch guys pushing their agenda........

Its the main thing that puts me off about Switch. The overzealous fanboys pushing the product and not allowing anyone else an opinion.
I fly Flysurfer Sonics but have a quiver of Core XR4's for gusty days. Quite a few kiters on my beach are now flying Switch and they are decent kites. I think part of the above agenda is sharing that there are decent kites in the market that are 2/3's of the price of other brands - The right dealer will give good discounts on kites so although the list price is good on Switch, I would not change my current quiver.

If I was only flying LEI's, Core would continue to be my choice while adding a Ocean Rodeo 5M Storm kite for the interesting days.

Hansen Design
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Hansen Design » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:07 am

Hello Plummet:
OP specifically asked about Nitro5, Airush Lithium, Airush Varial X.
Not F2, Cloud, Naish, Core, etc.
Nitro5 is a new model with many improvements. Flysurfer has not flown a Nitro5. Neither have you.

Time this is said:
You have no place on any Switch thread. Your past insults against the owners disqualify you.
Your credibility on the subject is gone. That is your record. You earned it. Fine. Public forum. Your right. So be it.
Be honest. Switch threatens your favorite brand (named after an allotrope of oxygen.)
But, you have no right to call a new, very satisfied Nitro5 customer (Geroland) a 'fanboy.'
He bought a kite. He likes it. He likes it alot. Enough to go on here and say it.
He is highly qualified to answer the OP's question. Whether you like it or not.
Not up to you to discredit him. Or anyone. Leave him - leave them alone.

@Geroland: Glad you like your new kite! :thumb:
@Gautiou: The kites you are considering are good kites.
You have any questions about the Nitro5, new Spider bridle, construction, etc. email me: bill@switchkites.com.
I designed them. Whatever you do, enjoy your time on the water! :thumb:
Cheers!

Geroland
Rare Poster
Gear: Variation of brands
Been thanked: 0

Postby Geroland » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:43 am

Well said Mr Hansen.
I have no vested ties to Switch and basically going on here to share my stoke on a product that I enjoy greatly.
My experience started on the Beach at Sherman Island with Felix Demoing Switch kites. He went above and beyond and took me thru the whole Switch Range very impressed . No BS there the guy really knows his kites and how to fly them.He also gave me some pointers with my riding. His honest explanations and time gave me the trust to invest in a kite .Service from day 1. I purchased a Nitro5 after flying North and Cab kites for some time with no regrets.
Following your posts and the Service I have received from Switch I know who I will be listening to over the few barking dogs.
Thank you Bill for coming on here and setting the record straight.
Your Nitro5 has got my thumps up along with your very educated posts on this forum.
Keep up the good work.
G.L

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:06 am

foilonfoil wrote:
plummet wrote: Reading through this thread I see dudes recommending kites with some personal experiences. But certainly no bias remarks and secrete agenda's........... apart from perhaps the switch guys pushing their agenda........

Its the main thing that puts me off about Switch. The overzealous fanboys pushing the product and not allowing anyone else an opinion.
I fly Flysurfer Sonics but have a quiver of Core XR4's for gusty days. Quite a few kiters on my beach are now flying Switch and they are decent kites. I think part of the above agenda is sharing that there are decent kites in the market that are 2/3's of the price of other brands - The right dealer will give good discounts on kites so although the list price is good on Switch, I would not change my current quiver.

If I was only flying LEI's, Core would continue to be my choice while adding a Ocean Rodeo 5M Storm kite for the interesting days.
Fair enough man your responses seem quite qualified with experience. To be honest I was responding to gerolands statement that there was bs in thread from other brands. Quite clearly there isn't.....

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 7:49 am

Hansen Design wrote:Hello Plummet:
OP specifically asked about Nitro5, Airush Lithium, Airush Varial X.
Not F2, Cloud, Naish, Core, etc.
Nitro5 is a new model with many improvements. Flysurfer has not flown a Nitro5. Neither have you.

Time this is said:
You have no place on any Switch thread. Your past insults against the owners disqualify you.
Your credibility on the subject is gone. That is your record. You earned it. Fine. Public forum. Your right. So be it.
Be honest. Switch threatens your favorite brand (named after an allotrope of oxygen.)
But, you have no right to call a new, very satisfied Nitro5 customer (Geroland) a 'fanboy.'
He bought a kite. He likes it. He likes it alot. Enough to go on here and say it.
He is highly qualified to answer the OP's question. Whether you like it or not.
Not up to you to discredit him. Or anyone. Leave him - leave them alone.

@Geroland: Glad you like your new kite! :thumb:
@Gautiou: The kites you are considering are good kites.
You have any questions about the Nitro5, new Spider bridle, construction, etc. email me: bill@switchkites.com.
I designed them. Whatever you do, enjoy your time on the water! :thumb:
Cheers!

Everytime there is a thread like this guys come on here and offer advice based on their experiences. Many times its not they brands requested. But thats ok its all information. Op can ignore that info or choose to dig for further info on a kite he may not have considered.

As an example the guy that offered the cloud as an option. He is off base... Its not the style of kite OP is looking for. OP would be better off with one of your Nitro's than a cloud. But none the less it is his personal experience so he offers an opinion. Its not bs or bias or other brands being threadend. Its simply one guys opinion on what he fly's.

You will notice i never offered an opinion on which brand to select..... I just offered my opinion on the style of kite OP should look at.

Am I threadened by Switch? No not at all. I have no financial interest at all in the kite industry or any affiliation with any brand. I guess that allows me some freedom to offer what ever opinion I like.

Westozzy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Mandurah
Style: Freeride, wave
Gear: Rebel, Vegas 2012

Postby Westozzy » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:56 am

Didn't realise this was a switch thread per say, there you go...

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm

duplicated
Last edited by flysurfing on Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

flysurfing
Frequent Poster
Gear: Depends the mood

Postby flysurfing » Mon Jan 18, 2016 12:17 pm

Same here.

I never had any affiliation with Naish.

I ride Naish this year, was ridding Switch last year. Maybe next year will go for Cabrinha if i find something nice in the range.

I just gave my personal opinion, in 15 years kiting i never had such issue than with the switch bar which almost got me against a wall due to safety issue. Also i think the bias is more about Switch than any other brand here. The Nitro 4 was nothing magical as it was annouced... Rather the opposite. it was a ok boosting kite with good upwind and fair construction but got a lot of issue with the bride being too long and tangling while landing unhook tricks with too much slack. On top of it Switch are not that cheap if you compare them to a 2015 model of an other brand.

So go for anything you want, Zeiko, Cabrinha, Switch or else... there is no bad kite but as well the Switch are not the best there as some people tend to say here...

SonnyRider
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: A muddy estuary 40 miles from home called Weston super mare.
Favorite Beaches: So many. In no particular order - Outer Hebrides, Wales, Cornwall, Mauritius, Cape Verde, Portugal, Brazil, Barbados, Sardinia
Style: Strapless surfboard & strapless foiling
Gear: Airush Wave 7, 9, 10, Ultra v2's 7, 10, 14 and sometimes my GF's Airush Diamonds, 5.5, 7, 9, 12, Varial X 14m

Firewire Evo Helium 5'3" , Airush Converse 6'. Shinn Mega k carbon with a 75cm mast. Building a 120 carbon pocket board
Brand Affiliation: I like the build & ethics and kites from Airush. I've had Ozone, Liquid Force, PLKB, Flexifoil

Postby SonnyRider » Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:58 pm

Have you thought about the Airush Wave kites?

Just because they have marketed it as a Wave kite, it's not *just* a Wave kite. It is a great freeride kite too.

I have a 7,9 & 12m in the Wave model and they are really good kites for Wave AND Freeride. They do boost quite well.

My Girlfriend used to ride Varial X, but has changed to the Diamond model this year.
We still have a couple of Varial X's in our quiver because they are so good.

Gautiou
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Switchblade
Cabrinha Skillit
Been thanked: 0

Postby Gautiou » Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:07 pm

SonnyRider wrote:Have you thought about the Airush Wave kites?

Just because they have marketed it as a Wave kite, it's not *just* a Wave kite. It is a great freeride kite too.

I have a 7,9 & 12m in the Wave model and they are really good kites for Wave AND Freeride. They do boost quite well.

My Girlfriend used to ride Varial X, but has changed to the Diamond model this year.
We still have a couple of Varial X's in our quiver because they are so good.
I would like to know if the Varial X can be used in waves. I saw the 12m turns faster like à 10m. I've the 9m and it boosts well. I found the high end is physical.

Return to “Kitesurfing”