Forum for kitesurfers
windtzu
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Bar Out of Tune?

Postby windtzu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:20 pm

I bought a new Airush Smart Bar a few months ago - 2014 closeout. I noticed while flying my 12 Airush Lithium the kite wants to pull down (toward the water) on one tack - port. It's little more than subtle but not a control issue. On the other tack it flies fine. I contacted the dealer and he said I may have a twisted bladder in the kite, or to check the lines.

I use the smaller kites set up in the shorter mode with my older Smartbar. They were fine until the last two times out. With the new bar they did the same, pulling down a little on one tack - port. With the old bar everything is normal. I can compensate for this by adjusting the angle in which I hold the bar, but this shouldn't have to be the case.

The kite's never did this before, so I checked the lines-length, hooking them up to a post and pulling on the lines. Everything seems ok. Then again, it's hard to tell if the bar is perfectly parallel if a steering line is is off and inch or so. That is if that small amount can make a difference in the way a kite flies.

The only other thing is, perhaps the center lines aren't even? Wondering if this can make a difference. I didn't really check for this. I'll hook up the center lines only and see how they look if I it can be determined.

corbett
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Many

Re: Bar Out of Tune?

Postby corbett » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:30 pm

Yes, check the bar again. You should be able to notice any problems with line length very easily.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Mon Feb 01, 2016 6:40 pm

You can easily detect even one millimeterr difference. don't pull it tight! Let the lines droop this magnifies even a small difference in line length.

windtzu
Medium Poster

Postby windtzu » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:44 pm

edt wrote:You can easily detect even one millimeterr difference. don't pull it tight! Let the lines droop this magnifies even a small difference in line length.
Thanks for the advice. I'll do that.

Return to “Kitesurfing”