Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Re: Marc Jacobs at North Kite now ?

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:22 pm

plummet wrote:
Kamikuza wrote:Can never account for the unaccountable, and carrying around mountains of superfluous gear--that way madness lies.
Travel half way around the world, pay thousands for flighs and for accomidation/food for weeks on end to compete in the most risky/watched event of the year.

Given what's at stake and the marketing potential I would have thought not taking a spare kite would be where madness lies......

Hell I have multiple over lapping kites every time I go to the beach. From 15-35 knots I can choose from at least 2 kites.
So, this sort of thing must happen a lot? It doesn't, does it, so playing the odds is not unreasonable. And who's paying for his ticket? You and I don't have to worry about excess luggage when we drive to the beach... and it seems you haven't had to out of NZ with gear, no deal with the small-minded medicants behind the check-in counter :angryfire:

That said, I take a spare spreader bar when I travel with my Dakine harness :roll:

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Style: Freeride, freestyle, wave.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Faxie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Good thing my local dealer is carrying all the well known brands, and is happy to give me a new kite even though I never shop there. Great guy :thumb:

You know what? I'm just gonna give him a donation because he works hard and keeps the sport alive 8)

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Faxie wrote:Good thing my local dealer is carrying all the well known brands, and is happy to give me a new kite even though I never shop there. Great guy :thumb:
If you were the sponsered rider for that brand at an international competition somewhere around the world that is exactly what would happen. You would be given a new kite and the shop owner receive a replacement kite after the event.

I have seen this very thing when I was racing mountain bikes.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:05 pm

Kamikuza wrote: You and I don't have to worry about excess luggage when we drive to the beach... and it seems you haven't had to out of NZ with gear, no deal with the small-minded medicants behind the check-in counter :angryfire:

That said, I take a spare spreader bar when I travel with my Dakine harness :roll:
Actually I've been to perth with kite gear. Fiji with wife 3 kids and kite gear. I took my mountain bike all the way around the world. Its easy. You simply buy the right ticket that has the appropriate baggage allowance. Then you can pay extra, usually $50, for an additional bag.

Buy the wrong ticket and you pay through the nose.

For my french alps mountian biking trip that i went on I paid no excess baggage. But my buddy who didn't check out the baggage allowances of the airline he choose paid $1500 in excess baggage.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Netherlands. Maasvlakte, Slufter, Domburg, Brouwersdam, Ouddorp, Vrouwenpolder, Grevelingen.
Gear: Crazyfly Hyper 2022 7-9-12, Infinity 2021 9, Raptor Extreme 2020, selfmade bar.

Postby Faxie » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:20 pm

plummet wrote:
Faxie wrote:Good thing my local dealer is carrying all the well known brands, and is happy to give me a new kite even though I never shop there. Great guy :thumb:
If you were the sponsered rider for that brand at an international competition somewhere around the world that is exactly what would happen. You would be given a new kite and the shop owner receive a replacement kite after the event.

I have seen this very thing when I was racing mountain bikes.
Yeah, and there are like 50 brands :bye:

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?
Has thanked: 0

Postby NorCalNomad » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:31 pm

Faxie wrote:
Calling bullshit on that. There are probably close to 15 who actually make kites. I'd say at least half of those are your big brands.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:45 pm

What pro athlete, in individual gear dependent sports, at their biggest event of the year doesn't bring a back up?

Tiago1973
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Portugal
Style: Freeriding
Been thanked: 0

Postby Tiago1973 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:19 pm

I wonder if the sport is not at a much lesser level of sophistication most people think it is

felixp
Frequent Poster
Gear: Switch
Brand Affiliation: Switch, Firewire
Been thanked: 0

Postby felixp » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:03 am

is
Tiago1973 wrote:I wonder if the sport is not at a much lesser level of sophistication most people think it is
Spot on Tiago1973
Love reading thru all these post. Very amusing. All these guys assuming that the pro world is a dream, flying around the world pulling stock out of kite shops and having support when they get in trouble or need.
Dream on...
I can tell you it so far from that it not even funny.
An athlete makes his own choices and some time's has to live with them. Companies will make sure that you have all the tools in the world to do your job but the rider dictates his/her destiny.
Companies can not nurse their athletes around the world. Riders are paid to do their job.
They use their own discretion on how they want to handle an issue when it comes up.
This is the way Marc decided to deal with the situation at the time.
Did he do the right thing? Depends on how you look at it.

Personally I had a similar issue in one of the biggest contests of the KPWT - 16,000 Euro first place price purse.
Probably still the biggest to date.
Biggest kite I had with me was a 10m. Got into the finals wind dropped and they were running to finish the contest. We no time between heats.
Team mate of mine was in the final with me.
Winds were marginal. He bought bigger kites. I was stuck on my 10m He was on a 14m just going.
I played my cards wrong and could not get off the water.As I did not travel with a bigger kite. I did not think they would run in 12 knots .. Ended up losing a World tile and 8,000 Euros.
There is a title and money on the line.. Is a team mate or competitor going to give up their gear so you can take him out?
Did I learn my lesson. Yes in a big way. Did I fly another brands kite no. Always bring more than you think and don't count on instant support . There was a shop that sold the brand right on the beach of the contest area I was riding for did they or could they help with such little time ..No
Be ready for every thing and be professional .
You learn your lessons thru life.
I'm sure Marc has taken away a lot from this contest in every aspect.
Glad the boys stayed alive and put on an awesome show.
Regards
Felix.

Faxie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Faxie » Thu Feb 11, 2016 12:09 am

NorCalNomad wrote:
Faxie wrote:
Calling bullshit on that. There are probably close to 15 who actually make kites. I'd say at least half of those are your big brands.
ADI kites
Airush
BenWilsonsurf
Best
Blade
Bull Tarifa
Cabrinha
Core
Crazyfly
Epic
F-One
Flexifoil
Fluid Kiteboarding int
Flysurfer
Gaastra
Genetrix
GIN Kiteboarding
Gong
Liquid Force
Mutiny Kites
Naish
North
Ocean Rodeo
Ozone
Peter Lynn
RRD
Slingshot
Spleene
Starkites
Switch
Takoon
Vari Kites
Wainman Hawaii
Zeeko
Zian

Those are the most known brands, and I left out some because I'm not sure they still make kites (Royal, Caution, Advance etc)

Return to “Kitesurfing”