FS: FlyRadical M
AlpineFoil 5.0 Ti Ultimate Hydrofoil with RX-V5S board; Sport and Lift wings
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Sad news from Maui , Fatal accident, My condolences

Postby Johhnn » Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:41 pm

"If man made it, don't eat it."
--Jack LaLanne

And salt is salt. I doubt very much it matters whether it's Himalayan or from anywhere else in terms of its effect on blood pressure.

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Scientist don't agree on salt either. The government agencies as usual are acting for the sake of acting to justify their existence, I guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/won ... ment-says/

http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/sodi ... 1408157366

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... r-on-salt/

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:31 pm

Salt is a chemic compound of sodium no matter how you spin it... Our bodies need it to survive (just like we need fat, water, etc). But too much of it will cause problems. This is not ground breaking news...

I think the "salt" to be worried about are the nitrates injected into cured meats, canned foods, etc as preservatives. Pretty sure our bodies did not evolve with that crap. I think sea salt was present for sure in our evolution - but not nitrates. These are a no no for heart health.

I mean if we are talking heart health here - yes diet is for sure a huge part of it. But equally important is cardio vascular exercise. I always wonder if kiting is considered a cardio activity - Obviously we are raising our heart rates riding - but is it actual cardio in the form of running/cycling? The only times I really notice is when I self rescue and battle the water / gear. But when im on the board riding around (which is 95% of the time)I don't feelsshort of breath. Discuss....

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:01 pm

On my recent trip I had a chance to get back into windsurfing, well at least for a bit long enough to discover how out of shape I gotten while kitesufing. :o

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:09 pm

marlboroughman wrote:On my recent trip I had a chance to get back into windsurfing, well at least for a bit long enough to discover how out of shape I gotten while kitesufing. :o

Yeah that's exactly my point... I think we assume Kiting is an exceptional totally body workout - which it is to an extent - I mean my core and legs are miserbable for 5 days after I take long break. But after 7-10s of kiting I feel pretty strong - but strangely when I hope on my MTB climbing uphill after some time off and after kiting for a while im huffing and puffing.

My point is - in addition to diet, cardio is hugely important for heart health and for those of us that just kite a lot and assume that is our workout I think is false. Especially as we get older. Need to toss in some cardio routinely as well.

I see kiting as my core / strength workout and cycling / MTB as my cardio.

The gym bores me to death.....

flyingweasel
Very Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby flyingweasel » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:27 pm

Last edited by flyingweasel on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:38 pm

Some good discussion here. But should we start a health and wellbeing thread to discuss it?

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:46 pm

skullcandy wrote:
marlboroughman wrote:On my recent trip I had a chance to get back into windsurfing, well at least for a bit long enough to discover how out of shape I gotten while kitesufing. :o

Yeah that's exactly my point... I think we assume Kiting is an exceptional totally body workout - which it is to an extent - I mean my core and legs are miserbable for 5 days after I take long break. But after 7-10s of kiting I feel pretty strong - but strangely when I hope on my MTB climbing uphill after some time off and after kiting for a while im huffing and puffing.

My point is - in addition to diet, cardio is hugely important for heart health and for those of us that just kite a lot and assume that is our workout I think is false. Especially as we get older. Need to toss in some cardio routinely as well.

I see kiting as my core / strength workout and cycling / MTB as my cardio.

The gym bores me to death.....
General kiting is not very aerobic. It does however it does give a good muscular core workout.
But some forms of kiting are aerobic. I'm sure Toby is breathing hard with his airstyle moves as would a wake styler. I personally Get an aerobic workout from kiting when in extreme conditions. Combine some hell surf with hell wind and rippen between over and on the sets.

That said. Even my hardest kite session doesn't even compare to my hardest aerobic session on the mountain bike. Not even close.

t3rse
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Folly
Gear: RRD Obsession/Core XR/Cab FX
Been thanked: 0

Postby t3rse » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:02 am

Loscocco wrote:Celebration of the life of Allen Chung this Satuday Feb 20th at 11am at Crissy Field in San Francisco. His favorite place to kite. Casual dress and a paddle out may happen so bring SUPs/surfboards. Ashes to be scattered under the Golden Gate Bridge by kite if the wind permits.
That's how I would want to be memorialized. Very proper.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Salt does not seem to be a problem for many people. And there is a fair argument among scientists that salt reduction in the general population is not strategy for primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Anybody who puts doctor after their name and claims Himalayan salt differs from table salt in hypertension risk deserves to be tarred and feathered. Dr. Circus. LOL

Clearly people who have hypertension, a major risk factor for cardiovascular disease, can reduce hypertension by limiting salt intake. And salt can be bad news for people who have certain heart or kidney diseases. Even Himalayan salt.

Return to “Kitesurfing”