Local Beach: Leeuwpan Dam
Favorite Beaches: Blouberg
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cabrinha/ North
Brand Affiliation: None

Mauritius vs Egypt kiting holiday

Postby sustan » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi Guys,

Never done a kiting holiday. I'm looking at le morne in Mauritius or el gouna/ ras sudr in Egypt in June/July.
Has anyone been and can give some info on one or both of these places?
Mainly looking for flat water areas with shallow waters to teach someone

Thanks!

Lokihel
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2050
Style: Yes
Gear: North Dice
Shinn Monk the One
North Nugget

Re: Mauritius vs Egypt kiting holiday

Postby Lokihel » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:10 pm

June-July in Mauritius is the windy season, so it's a good start.

Le Morne is a very busy spot during the season, and is offers unmatched waveriding. For flat water, you don't have to go there, or rather you don't want to go there, particularly if you have a beginner.

My advice for Mauritius would be to look at something along the East coast, which will be less busy, and offers a lot of flat water. Don't go to the west coast, it is sheltered from the wind, which means you will have to drive a lot.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003

Postby Slappysan » Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:57 am

I would go with El Gouna unless you have any security concerns. I wouldn't recommend Ras Sudr.

Vantage
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay, TCI
Le Morne, Mauritius
Key West Flats
Style: I have ZERO style...
Gear: 2016 Switchblades
Axis Vanguard
Nobile NHP Split

Postby Vantage » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:21 am

I did a bit of my learning in July in Le Morne and it was perfect for a beginner. The only issue for me was that when the tide was in it was deep in places and you could get dragged a bit but the instructor was always watching and sorted it out quickly. I'd certainly recommend it for a beginner compared to where I had my first lessons in Miami.

July was great as well as it was tourist low season but still windy. The evenings could be a bit chilly in the wind but nothing to bother about. Low season prices were nice as well.

danielkeder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Neusiedler
Favorite Beaches: Neusiedler, Asilah (Oman)
Gear: ozone catalyst

Postby danielkeder » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:13 am

I was in Mauritius in May and it was supposed to be the start of a windy-season, but...well..it wasn't :(

like everyone says - Jun-Aug is windy, you'll be happy!

the spot in LeMorne is REALLY cool. Amazing view, crystal clear water, nice beach and all that. I was quite surprised how small was the beach though, so I guess it can get crowded fast. Once you are in the water its all good though. There are nice hotels very close to the spot where you could grab lunch / hang out a bit. Plenty to do around Mauritius too. VERY VERY nice place with, I thought, plenty of things to do and see. Not sure if this is true about Egypt's el gouna.

Le Morne is also an AWESOME place for waves, one-eye I think its called is world-famous. Not for beginners for sure. THere are 2 kitesurfing schools right on the spot and many more elsewhere and they can all send an instructor with you who could teach you to ride waves. I also saw that the schools on the spot do keep an eye on the guys who go off for the big-waves and I believe they also have a rescue boat ready.

I havent gone to EGYPT and I would not go there. I heard that the spot is nice, but annoying how you need to pay for everything there. Also July might be really hot that time. Security is obviously a concern and that's one of the main reasons why Egypt would probably be cheaper holiday than Mauritius. LeMorne is btw approx. 2-2.5hrs from the airport.

Nico
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: private kitebeach on my doorstep,
Le Morne.
Style: wave
Gear: Drifter kites, wave boards
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, naish

Postby Nico » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:05 am

There is no 2,5hr drive possible in Mauritius, you will be driving into the sea after max 1,5hrs : )
Having said this, if you don't know the place and follow the non existant road signage you could drive for 10hrs and still not found your destination.

Return to “Kitesurfing”