Favorite Beaches: Muriwai, Orewa, Port Waikato
Gear: Ozone
Brand Affiliation: Ozone
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Not happy with Ion/North after sales service

Postby Kithib » Thu Mar 24, 2016 12:23 am

Hello guys,

I purchased 2 Ion harness in New Cal one year ago. The boucle of the Apex started corroding badly and the strap of the Revolt was close to break.

I moved in New Zealand and I asked the Ion importer (http://watersports.co.nz/) in NZ to help me with the warranty. He told me that the Ion distribution network (as the North kite one, same group) is not international. You can only claim a warranty in the country where you purchase the gear. That's sucks for people traveling or moving...
So I managed to deal with the New Cal importer (http://free-ride.nc/) from New Zealand, that was a pain in the ass as I had to manage myself to get the new harness shipped from New Cal by a friend and then the broken one back.

Now after 5 months the new Revolt 2015 failed again in different spot.
I tried again to deal directly with the NZ importer because last time I spent 1 month without harness and had to borrow one.
The NZ Ion importer answer me the same, "we can't claim a warranty to Ion for a product purchased in NC. You need to contact the NC importer and he will have to ask Ion to give us the autorisation to take care of this for him."
Well that's new!!! why the hell we didn't proceed like that the first time?
I sent an email to the NC importer, no answer after one week, I called the shop, I have been asked 2 times to call later as the person in charge is not available, look like they don't want to answer by email...

If someone from Ion is reading the forum:
-first I'm not happy with Ion quality. Yes I'm jumping unhook and taking some crash but nothing like the pros and an harness advertise as "freestyle" should last more than 1 year.
-2nd please make the things easier for people travelling, your after sales service procedure is crap! With other brands like Cabrinha you can claim a warranty in any country and you will be help within a day if your claim is legit!

Waiting for a quick solution
Last edited by Kithib on Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

live2play
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Not happy with Ion after sales service

Postby live2play » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:15 am

Seems like quality is the bigger issue...this Apex Select harness is just over a year old so no more warranty but only has thirty sessions max on it. I've had a few other harnesses and never had one that has had such a short life. The Ion has been comfortable but can't justify the high replacement intervals.
image.jpeg

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:38 am

Sorry about this :

My Dakine seat harness, has bin going strong for nearly 8 years now ; sometimes
it helps to, (google/item/forums) on stuff your about to purchase ! --------i sure do.

When i first purchased my Ozone Edge a bunch of years ago ; first thing i did was Google
kite board kite / valve problems / forum , just to see what came up ; it steered me away from a certain
brand, and i did go with Ozone. At the time there were Bad problems with some brands de-laminating
in the heat ; it's 112 in the shade at 6-mile in summer, so that would be a concern.

Bille

Kithib
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Pine harbour

Postby Kithib » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:43 am

live2play if you are in Europe the Legal warranty is 24 months even if lot of brands say 12 months. Bille I can't agree more, I have been fooled by a shop telling me Ion was the best harness of the market. The same as you guys, I had before Dakine Pyro and Mystic warrior, I kept them for years.

Kithib
Rare Poster

Postby Kithib » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:45 am

Can someone please confirm Ion and North are the same brand? A friend told me do not purchase North harness they are the same.

skullcandy
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride / Mutant / Waves TT
Gear: Enduro 7m/10m

Postby skullcandy » Thu Mar 24, 2016 3:30 pm

My Dakine Pyro Harness is bomb proof. I've had it now for 3+ years and inspect it after every session - no noticeable issues or wear that concerns me. I probably put 40-50 sessions on it per year. 1/3 of those are in fresh water, the other 2/3 are in salt water. After your salt water sessions, do you thoroughly rinse it out with fresh water?

jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Postby jyka » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:16 pm

That is not acceptable wear. There is another thread where people told they have used mystic warrior for years and years without any wear. I have still mystic warrior 1 and I don't see any reason to buy a new one

Kithib
Rare Poster

Postby Kithib » Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:49 pm

Some news. I just received an email from the distributor in New Caledonia. They refused to warranty the Revolt 2015. A 5 months old harness...
Dan sent me a PM on the forum and will try to help even if is not in charge of this zone. At least there is on person who cares about customers at Ion. let's see.

Kithib
Rare Poster

Postby Kithib » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:11 am

Anyone had the same issue with the Revolt 2015?

Jbrook
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Jbrook » Sun Apr 03, 2016 10:59 pm

Just contact Dan all he is da man! Saved me in Mexico with a part I desperately needed, more brands need a Dan.

Return to “Kitesurfing”