Medium Poster
Style: freeride/wave
Gear: all that is good quality and affordable
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ozone edge V8 stitching on leading edge

Postby mattenzuchtig » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:48 pm

Hi Iiain,
I was wondering, a friend of me has purchased a new V3 set of ozone Reo, together with your new larger pump.
If he inflates his 12m reo up to the end of the green mark on the meter , the kite feels under inflated, I flew it to test and in a windgust you could feel the kite jellyfishing a bit...so we inflated the kite lets say into 1/2 of the red, took the kite out again and it was flying perfectly.
Now if you flicked you fingernail against the kite it had the pling, when just to the end of the green the LE felt not hard, the middle strut is not 100% hard etc...
So can you explain, how can one be sure to correctly inflate an Ozone kite without pumping it too hard and loosing the ozone warranty ( as it seems one can see a kite has been over inflated) or loosing a big part of the Ozone reo's flying advantages when not pumped hard enough.
Thx
Matti

marlboroughman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Oldschool
Gear: Naish
Brand Affiliation: Make Kiting Great Again!

Postby marlboroughman » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:28 pm

Kamikuza wrote: Thought they said 0.1%?
There was an Enduro on the beach the other day so I gave it an examination with my "Scientific Eye" as NYKiter would put it. :rollgrin: Same bullshit, that's why I fear the worst.

Ozone Kites AUS
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Lennox Head, NSW, Australia
Favorite Beaches: There is a reason I live in Lennox Head.
Style: Old Coot. strapped surfboard
Gear: Ozone 6/8/10/12 Reo V7, 10/14 Enduro v4, Zephyr V7, Edge V12 10M, Alpha V2 8/14M, Firewire Vanguard 5'2" and Evo 5'1" and Delta Designs ReVamp 5'9" couple of custom Blacksheep surfboards Mystic Stealth harness and stealth rope slider.
Brand Affiliation: Ozone, AxisFoils, Armstrong, Core, Cabrinha, Slingshot, North

Postby Ozone Kites AUS » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:33 pm

The pressure loading is greatest in a conical tapered inflated tube at the point of maximum diameter, which is where the tests where conducted. Gerrys (teabaggins) kite shows quite pronounced bulging in this area, this can only happen from overinflation as the tests have proven. Your assumption that strength is reduced by 50% in the areas without the insignia cloth reinforcing is definitely wrong, I'm not sure if Ozone will conduct more tests to prove that, but I am certain that strength is not reduced by 50%. The tests were conducted to prove the strength of the Ozone LE and to counter claims from Gerry that there is an inherent weakness or fault in the kites, because he was so adamant he never over inflated his kites. I've delayed posting these pics until now, so that the tests results back up the photographic evidence. There is some minor cosmetic tearing of of the stitching at the area just past where the reinforcing stops on Gerry's kite (pics already posted by Gerry), also a sign that the kite was overinflated. BUT, the kite has not failed as claimed, the kite has not burst and is still fine to use. The damage is cosmetic and is not affecting the performance of Gerrys kite. Ozone's tests show the Edge V8 LE is extremely strong and only crazy amounts of inflation will burst it.

Top image is a demo kite from a dealer (Kitepower) in Sydney
Second image is teabaggins kite.
Attachments
KPDemo10m.jpg
EdgeV8-1.jpg

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:43 am

Why is the straight edge not touching the LE on the right hand side in the bottom pic :roll:

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:54 am

Good spotting Kami & after closer inspection of the pic, I wouldn't be surprised if the straight edge wasn't touching the LE at all. :o

teabaggin
Rare Poster
Gear: cardboard freeride , ocean rodeo mako , ozone edge , epic screamer
Been thanked: 0

Postby teabaggin » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Peace McCormack why did you not put the straight edge against the LE of my kite like you did with your shop demo kite . I think because it looks worse for my kite doesn't it .
Peace McCormack why did you use a shop demo 10m edge V7 to compare my kite with . I think because it looks worse for my kite doesn't it . I even asked you over the phone why you didn't compare it with the new V8's you had in your shop and you said it is made the same which we both know is bullshit

thetrash
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby thetrash » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:04 pm

I've got Enduros and at 7psi they are solid.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:08 pm

thetrash wrote:I've got Enduros and at 7psi they are solid.
Your gauge is reading low :lol:

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:16 pm

I have Enduro's as well and at 6-7 they will fly ok, at 8-8.5 they will be solid and absolutely fly better. Pressure checked with 3 different gauges. Just my experience. YMMV.....

Return to “Kitesurfing”