Board short harness

Forum for kitesurfers
keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Board short harness

Postby keegster17 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:53 am

is ION B2 board short harness superior than competition? I like board shorts harnesses, i had dakine, but get a little rubbing on my inner thighs, i have spoken to others who really like the Ion b2's, and said no issue with that. i do see new naish board shorts, can someone share if they are that much better than competition? the naish look similar, but hard to tell by internet only. The ions are hard to come by, i am in toronto canada.

wedge
Frequent Poster

Re: Board short harness

Postby wedge » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:08 am

Have you tried wearing long speedos under the Dakine shorts? They are basically like tight road-bike shorts.

Works well under wetsuits as well. Like a rash guard for your nether regions :thumb:

direnc
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Alacati, Pirlanta, Ilica
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cult 7.5
Soul 10
Ride 10
Kestrel 12
Gin Spirit 15
Edge 8/9/11
Ten Velox 11
Zephyr
Mako 150, DIY foils and boards

Postby direnc » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:02 am

I have both of them. The Dakine gives me a constant wedgie, and is very uncomfortable (i've put it up for sale after two tries). The Ion B2 one is way better.
You can arrange the straps like the Dakine, or also have them hold the spreader bar down. My only complaint with the Ion B2 is that the straps keep slipping, and I have to retighten them a few times while riding. Also, the sizing on the B2 is a bit off. They tend to fit large. I have the M, which should be a perfect fit according to the sizing chart, but I bet I an S would have been a better fit.

BTW, my wife has the female version of the Dakine, and she finds it very comfortable.

Alysum
Frequent Poster
Gear: a kite

Postby Alysum » Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:51 am

I have the dakine shorts and they are great! Just a bit more padding around the hips would be nice as they get sore from the sides digging in. I do get a bit of a wedge when I ride toe side... Maybe a dynabar would help?

flyingcamel
Medium Poster
Local Beach: sandy hook
Style: all rounder
Gear: gin zulu3 13m, 9m
ocean rodeo flite gen 3 17m, 12m, 10m
flite gen 4 14.5
OR razor gen 6 12m, 10m
flysurfer peak1 9m, peak2 6m
cabrina stylus 165
slingshot dialer
slingshot alien air MHL Lift hydrofoil
cabrinha ace 139

Postby flyingcamel » Fri Apr 08, 2016 4:35 pm

Ive used the ion b2 green shorts and last years blue ones, (i think this year are yellow(colors only on the stitching.)) They are my favorite harness giving me the comfort to ride for up to 8hrs with plenty of energy and no soreness. On a waist harness i can ride for only a little more than two hours until my waist starts to itch unbearably. I know some people ride with out the leg straps and use the dynabar sliding hook with them for better toeside riding. The older shorts i would ride with out the leg straps and after a few months the buckles started to lose their grip and my spreader bar would start to go away from my body a decent amount. When i started to use the leg straps which loop through the spreader bar eliminated this issue. I did develop a cyst where my straps were on my leg opposite the one i use to pop with so ive been on the waist since November but i plan to go back to the shorts with some added padding later this spring unless im riding waves. Another good thing about the shorts is that it protects your bum from scratches and gashes if you sit or water start from shelly sand. Only thing i wear under them is a wetsuit or just board shorts. to prevent castration its good to adjust yourself properly and tighten your leg straps before you finish putting on your wetsuit and securing the spreaderbar.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:52 am

I've had both. Ion is definitely better build quality, much better materials and stitching. I found both to be comfortable. If I found a Dakine on sale for less than $100 I'd buy it, otherwise you are better off shelling for the Ion. p.s. saw a similar harness in 2016 Naish catalog, may be worth a look.

PusherII
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ostia beach
Favorite Beaches: El Portillo, Las Terranas
Style: Free Ride
Gear: Core XR5

Postby PusherII » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:34 pm

nobody tried NP tracker?

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Sat Oct 06, 2018 12:52 pm

I've had Dakine, Ion and now Naish Targa shorts.
Dakine: the old hammerhead spreader bar connect was a sad joke, kind of glad they fell apart after 6 months, otherwise comfy (I crash hard). I think they fixed the hammerhead for 2018.
Ion: by far the best build quality, they started falling apart after 18 months (same issue as Dakine: the connection between spreader buckle webbing and the rest of the seat (inside the harness) is just not strong enough (sewn with hair-thin nylon thread), eventually gets ripped out. I fixed that easily with a few rivets (the kind they put in your blue jeans). But the spreader bar for the x-large is too big at 12 inches, so not the best feeling
Naish targa: very good design, terrible execution (no wonder they are always on sale). I got mine for 98USD. Comfortable but gave me horrendous wedgies. Not even nearly enough stitching or reinforcements to keep the harness together for more that a few sessions. BUT. Having pulverized a Dakine and a B2 I learned my lesson and after 2 sessions I reinforced EVERY SINGLE load point with 4" webbing and stainless steel rivets. Now it looks real nice, is very comfy and looks like new after maybe 40 sessions. My favorite so far. Note: Naish has a key pocket but no hook knife storage (an no hook knife included).

experienced1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Been thanked: 0

Postby experienced1 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:29 pm

The NP Tracker is worth taking a close look. It appears the material is more robust. The problem I’ve seen with other brands is that the material gets soft and then the seams go. I’m just starting my 2nd year on the NP Tracker shorts so we’ll see how the material holds up with more use. I used the NP Tracker spreader bar b-4 the Tracker shorts were on the market. It works as described. It is great for riding toe side and doesn’t feel any different than a fixed bar when jumping. I’m guessing that shops might sell the shorts only so you could use your existing spreader bar.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:56 pm

I have the Dakine shorts with 2018 rope spreader. Can't say anything about durability, only about 30 sessions on them, but no wear at all yet. I find them comfortable, give a lot of freedom of movement.
2017 rope spreader was shite. The rope one was dangerous because it plastic clip was taking the load. They completely redesigned it 2018.

Return to “Kitesurfing”