Local Beach: not telling
Favorite Beaches: So far: Santa Cruz, Pismo, Hood River
Style: lil this ... lil dat
Gear: The one that flies and floats
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: California Coast Kite Advice

Postby pixelpedro » Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:43 am

Da Yoda wrote:
pixelpedro wrote:Crissy is the Golden Gate right? can't wait to kite that looks so freaking cool, I'll check 3rd Ave as well.
I'd recommend checking out this thread and the links that are attached for both Crissy and Ocean Beach:
http://www.bayareakiteboarding.com/foru ... =7&t=14075
Tnx for the links and heads up, I'm now filled with both excitement and fear... Sounds really sketchy but I'll do what I always do ... if I'm not feeling it I pass, definitely not gona ruin the rest of my trip just to check a box out of the kitespot bucket list.

Tnx again.

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:53 am

pixelpedro wrote:I also have a 15/9 solo for foiling but the 15 may be too much and the 9 too little
If you need to pack light the Solos would be the way to go, I only have a 12m but it has a really big wind range.
BTW What's the stingray shuffle? do you mean figuratively or literally?
You walk without picking your feet up off the ground, this way when you hit a ray it swims away instead of giving you a nice puncture wound.

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:24 am

Slappysan wrote: If you need to pack light the Solos would be the way to go, I only have a 12m but it has a really big wind range.
Wish I had a 12 which I've been tossing the idea of replacing my 15 with, but since I only use the solos for foiling and the 15/9 give me a ridiculous range @ my weight and my quiver combo may be too much kite or too little kite for the west coast conditions (I think).
Slappysan wrote:You walk without picking your feet up off the ground, this way when you hit a ray it swims away instead of giving you a nice puncture wound.
Yeah I wasn't sure if this was like a kite term (lol) but shortly after googling I realized this is a real thing. So ... safe to assume if the water is too murky and I can't see the bottom just shuffle right?

Tnx for the advice.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:59 pm

pixelpedro wrote: ...
Slappysan wrote:You walk without picking your feet up off the ground, this way when you hit a ray it swims away instead of giving you a nice puncture wound.
Yeah I wasn't sure if this was like a kite term (lol) but shortly after googling I realized this is a real thing. So ... safe to assume if the water is too murky and I can't see the bottom just shuffle right?

Tnx for the advice.
OH -- it's Real alright ; i got nailed on the foot, my first summer in San Diego, near PB pear
in 1977, and it hurt like HELL for a full day !!!
Can you imagine falling off your board in shallow water ; and getting hit on your back ?

BIlle

pixelpedro
Frequent Poster

Postby pixelpedro » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:20 pm

Bille wrote:OH -- it's Real alright ; i got nailed on the foot, my first summer in San Diego, near PB pear
in 1977, and it hurt like HELL for a full day !!!
Can you imagine falling off your board in shallow water ; and getting hit on your back ?
BIlle
WOW that must've sucked, tnx all for the advice as I DEFINITELY didn't know about the stingray issue and the shuffle. Tnx again.

Return to “Kitesurfing”