Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Lib tech puddle jumper to replace sweet potato for light wind board

Forum for kitesurfers
clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Strand,Tourmaline,Stinkz,Belmont,Seal.
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,
Style: surf, freeride
Gear: Naish, Firewire, ride engine,Ford,liquid force, Zeeko.Tomo,
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Lib tech puddle jumper to replace sweet potato for light wind board

Postby clint2070 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:44 am

Well,the day finally came where the wind was so marginal that I could really compare the SP with the puddle jumper. I have to say,I can't get rid of my sweet potato just yet. If I didn't have it I wouldn't have been able to ride that day. The puddle jumper is so much more fun on a wave that its almost worth the walk back.I truly hat the fin boxes on the puddle jumper though. Their just seaweed catchers and I've almost lost a fin a few times because they don't grab the fin good enough.

clckplaya
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby clckplaya » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:39 pm

clint2070 wrote:So its been a year now that I've been waiting for someone to get the puddle jumper and write a review on it for light wind. I didn't want to be the one forking out the cash first only to find out I still needed my sweet potato for kiting in san Diego. I finally broke down and bought a 5'9" lib tech puddle jumper and rode it today for the first time. I was in a hurry so I didn't bring my potato with me so Ill have to follow up with this review when I can do a side by side comparison. Its also been a long time since I've had a need for original fcs fins so I had to pull the HI1s off my sup (really large fin !). I ordered the stretch quads but I might also order the Rainbow fins' Heater quads just because they are the closest to controllers but with fcs tabs, to make a true comparison between the 2 boards and get me out in ultra light winds. even though today is usually as light as I kite in. It was 12-14mph. I kited Tourmaline and the Silver Strand. The board goes up wind great and even did well at strand in 12mph. It handles steep drops coming in from behind the wave a lot better than the potato. It also likes having weight on the tail. The sweet potato hates this ! It takes off out from under you and leaves you on your ass. The puddle jumper likes being ridden on the tail. The HI1 fins stopped me from doing any really hard snap turns but I'm confident that when the stretch fins come in the mail that they will cure this problem. Im just hoping I won't need the controller type fin because they hinder performance and the whole reason for me buying this board is to have a more high performance light wind board then the potato. The construction seems solid but not bullet proof ! we will see if it stands the test of time ! Pressure dings are fine but delamn sucks. My FST potato with no reinforcement at all has lasted me 2.5 yrs and I finally have a small soft spot. Im very light footed though. Does anyone else have a puddle jumper ? What fins are you running on it ? Are you in light wind ?
This is my quiver:5'8" sweet potato fat 43L no reinforcement,5"2" sweet potato fst double 6oz full deck patch
5"7' tomo nano LFT with full wrap nose to tail 6oz glass job
5"8' Tomo vanguard fst no reinforcement (not kite construction)
5'9" lib tech puddle jumper 37.65L no reinforcement
Kites: 14,12,10,8m- 2016 Naish Pivots. 6m BWS Noise
Hi Clint,
Did you order your SP reinforced directly from factory or you do it by yourself ? what kind of deck patch you put ?
I ding and broke my Lip Teck after 2 weeks !
It was a wonderfull board.
Thanks

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: C St, Naish beach, tourmaline,Strand, cabarete, San Quintin, La Ventana,Rauls,Nungas,Mancora,

Postby clint2070 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:14 pm

clckplaya wrote:
clint2070 wrote:So its been a year now that I've been waiting for someone to get the puddle jumper and write a review on it for light wind. I didn't want to be the one forking out the cash first only to find out I still needed my sweet potato for kiting in san Diego. I finally broke down and bought a 5'9" lib tech puddle jumper and rode it today for the first time. I was in a hurry so I didn't bring my potato with me so Ill have to follow up with this review when I can do a side by side comparison. Its also been a long time since I've had a need for original fcs fins so I had to pull the HI1s off my sup (really large fin !). I ordered the stretch quads but I might also order the Rainbow fins' Heater quads just because they are the closest to controllers but with fcs tabs, to make a true comparison between the 2 boards and get me out in ultra light winds. even though today is usually as light as I kite in. It was 12-14mph. I kited Tourmaline and the Silver Strand. The board goes up wind great and even did well at strand in 12mph. It handles steep drops coming in from behind the wave a lot better than the potato. It also likes having weight on the tail. The sweet potato hates this ! It takes off out from under you and leaves you on your ass. The puddle jumper likes being ridden on the tail. The HI1 fins stopped me from doing any really hard snap turns but I'm confident that when the stretch fins come in the mail that they will cure this problem. Im just hoping I won't need the controller type fin because they hinder performance and the whole reason for me buying this board is to have a more high performance light wind board then the potato. The construction seems solid but not bullet proof ! we will see if it stands the test of time ! Pressure dings are fine but delamn sucks. My FST potato with no reinforcement at all has lasted me 2.5 yrs and I finally have a small soft spot. Im very light footed though. Does anyone else have a puddle jumper ? What fins are you running on it ? Are you in light wind ?
This is my quiver:5'8" sweet potato fat 43L no reinforcement,5"2" sweet potato fst double 6oz full deck patch
5"7' tomo nano LFT with full wrap nose to tail 6oz glass job
5"8' Tomo vanguard fst no reinforcement (not kite construction)
5'9" lib tech puddle jumper 37.65L no reinforcement
Kites: 14,12,10,8m- 2016 Naish Pivots. 6m BWS Noise
Hi Clint,
Did you order your SP reinforced directly from factory or you do it by yourself ? what kind of deck patch you put ?
I ding and broke my Lip Teck after 2 weeks !
It was a wonderfull board.
Thanks
You broke the new lib tech puddle jumper ? Or was it the old lib tech construction ? On my 5'2" SP I took it to our local repair shop and had him do a double 6" full deck patch.dont let them put 2 patches,they will suggest this. It will eventually dolman around the patches. Ive found that the FST construction alone is enough for me. My other SP doesn't have any reinforcement and it finally got some rail delamn after 2.5yrs
Im a soft footed rider though.

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:28 am

noticed a huge spot delaming on the PJ today. The board will be done soon ! Don't waist your money like I did ! Get something else. Im ordering a custom FORD with kevlar deck and double hydroflex to replace it !

scottnorby
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Weight: 210
Local Beach: WASHINGTON
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
Favorite Beaches: Northern Oregon coast downwinders
Gear: SPACESTICK - Foilsurfer - Wingsurfer
SPACESTICK- 5’3 MICRO convertible surf foil
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
CHANNEL ISLAND SURFBOARDS - 6'8 bandit
FERAL wetsuits
Neil Pryde Armorskin wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:12 pm

There are composite boards you can choose----a softer ride---and delamination is eliminated.

I believe there will be many composite (softer) boards in kitesurfing's future.
Last edited by scottnorby on Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WH Lithuania
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Melnragė, Elektrėnai, Vievis
Favorite Beaches: Melnragė
Style: wave, hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone Chrono V3 UL 13m. Ozone Reo V5 9m and 7m, V4 10m. BWS Aeneema 5'5. Tons of GoFoil, Moses, Takuma foils. BWS Mulcoy Pro 6'0.

Postby WH Lithuania » Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:21 am

clint2070 wrote:noticed a huge spot delaming on the PJ today. The board will be done soon ! Don't waist your money like I did ! Get something else. Im ordering a custom FORD with kevlar deck and double hydroflex to replace it !
Is that new or old libtech construction?

clint2070
Very Frequent Poster

Postby clint2070 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:11 am

WH Lithuania wrote:
clint2070 wrote:noticed a huge spot delaming on the PJ today. The board will be done soon ! Don't waist your money like I did ! Get something else. Im ordering a custom FORD with kevlar deck and double hydroflex to replace it !
Is that new or old libtech construction?
Its the new construction. Its the same as the old. I wouldn't buy one to kite on.

scottnorby
Medium Poster
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
FERAL wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:07 pm

foilholio wrote:
Thu May 12, 2016 5:34 pm
interesting! Is the memory foam on the outside like a softboard or inside under the glass?
Answer is---its like a steering wheel in your car.
It's an eps foam and epoxy glass constructed board----but it is wrapped
with a modern material which is incredibly durable and will not absorb any water if it gets cut or abused.

The board is soft when you squeeze (1/8" of cush) ---but it's a complete hand shaped board inside.
Just like the steering wheel on your car it feels soft --but you trust your life with it because you know whats on the inside.
Tested for 7 years on the north shore of Oahu.
Mark Occhilupo (world champ surfer from Australia) bought two boards--and loves them.
Attachments
998342_10152997669570165_1530114003_n.jpg
998342_10152997669570165_1530114003_n.jpg (23.56 KiB) Viewed 1331 times
DSC_0267.JPG
Ripper3.jpg

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:27 pm

EPP, ok
but the top skin is what? PE?
...and I assume no steel wire inside despite steering wheel analogy.

Kidding and speculation aside, I wish silencer would develop their website a little more or show a build sheet/order form.
I know a lot of shapers do fine by word of mouth, telephone and email only, but pushing a new tech out would be helped as much by being a little customer oriented. Maybe "holding out" until they can "sell out"?

The outline and rail shape seen in mr norby's videos are interesting and it would be cool to see more info about that, and any other shapes made.

I know there's really something to the idea, I ride an EPS/epoxy board with an unconventional laminate that flexes and feels softer than glass, made by Coil. I know it won't last forever kiting but the flex and feel is awesome.
More newer foot and joint friendly tech always welcome in my world....
Last edited by BWD on Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scottnorby
Medium Poster
HOOD RIVER
OREGON COAST
PISMO BEACH
LA VENTANA
NAISH - 2020 jet foils
SLINGWING V2
Tomo- Hydroshort
FERAL wetsuits

Postby scottnorby » Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:38 pm

That is a proprietary skin.
Their own design....tested over 10 years on Oahu on the north shore.
Last edited by scottnorby on Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”