Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Fireware Evo - R U experienced?

Forum for kitesurfers
Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Fireware Evo - R U experienced?

Postby Onda » Tue May 03, 2016 9:16 pm

Hi all,
after having had a Vanguard 5.2 and now riding a Vader 5.3 I´m interested in that new thing from Firewire.
Has anyone already ridden the Evo? Differences between Evo and the other two MPH boards?
What size of the Evo should I chose? The 5.3 Vader feels slightly large to me.

Best, Onda

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Fireware Evo - R U experienced?

Postby Da Yoda » Wed May 04, 2016 2:11 am

Onda wrote:Hi all,
after having had a Vanguard 5.2 and now riding a Vader 5.3 What size of the Evo should I chose? The 5.3 Vader feels slightly large to me.
I quoted this since it couldn't be better stated:
"Volume is not the be all and end all of surfboard design, but it is the most accurate way to compare the huge range of boards that are now on the market. Find a good volume that suits your fitness, ability and comfort level in the surf, and see what boards you can find in that range"

Using this formula, here's the size/volume you may want to consider:
Vanguard 5'2 = 22.9L
Vader 5'1 = 22.9L (Vader 5'3 = 25.8L, probably why it feels "slightly large" to you)
Evo 5'0 = 23.1L
The word is to ride the Evo one size smaller than the Vader, so this formula seems to jive.
Last edited by Da Yoda on Thu May 05, 2016 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Wed May 04, 2016 2:19 am

Not sure if you've read this, but it may answer your question:

"For 2016, Firewire will be releasing the new Evo model. Where does it fit in your kiteboard line up and what kind of rider, in what conditions, is the Evo best suited for?
The Evo is a new take on our original MPH designs like the Vanguard and Vader. It’s nearly symmetrical and wider overall outline creates smoother bottom and off the top turns on a wave. The innovative bottom design consists of a deep double inside concave that splits into a quad concave in the tail channels. The Evo generates tons of lift and water flow under the board and is extremely efficient which is immediately noticeable once the board gets on a plane. The Evo draws out long effortless lines and connects them seamlessly when turning. The aggressive concave bottom creates a buttery feeling. Astonishingly, with the wider outline and fluid dynamic efficiency, the Evo can be ridden even smaller than the Vanguard and Vader. The Evo is great for any level rider and we found that it works well as a one board solution for the intermediate/advanced surfer who wants a single board for paddling and kiting. It also rivals the Vanguard for superior light wind performance."
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2015/12/2 ... -firewire/

I'm looking for some feedback on this board too. Hopefully someone can chime in soon.

Frappes
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Crissy Field, CA
Style: Waves
Gear: .
Has thanked: 0

Postby Frappes » Wed May 04, 2016 4:40 am

Is it even available in the kite construction yet? I would definitely wait for that to be released - the LFT construction won't give you very many sessions with a kite.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed May 04, 2016 7:22 am

Hi,
yes, I´ve read everything from Firewire with regards to these boards.
I guess the 5.1 Vader would be perfect for me (unable to trial one). If I´d take the Evo one size smaller, that would be the 4.11 (or 4.10, I don´t remember now). That sounds rediculously small! Makes me uncertain about the choice. But I probably really should make that decision by volume, thanks for the reminder, Yoda.
The FST version will be available by my shop from June here in Germany. Hope to be one of the first to receive that new toy :)

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Wed May 04, 2016 10:14 am

The outline of the Evo, to me looks like a great light wind board but FireWire list it as "all-round performance" & the Vangaurd/Vader get the light wind rating. :?:

airsurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf and hydrofoil big air and kiteloops
Gear: Ozone,Firewire, Moses, Zeeko,Levitaz, NP, ION

Postby airsurfer » Wed May 04, 2016 8:41 pm

get the Vader 5'1 you won't regret it.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Da Yoda » Thu May 05, 2016 12:28 am

Onda wrote:If I´d take the Evo one size smaller, that would be the 4.11 (or 4.10, I don´t remember now). That sounds rediculously small! Makes me uncertain about the choice.
The Evo (kite) comes in 2" increments starting at 4'10. The 4'10 is probably a bit too small especially if you liked the Vanguard 5'2. Like I said, focus on the Evo 5'0 if you want to stay consistent with the volumes. Even though you stated it felt "slightly large", if you preferred your Vader 5'3 over the Vanguard 5'2, then focus on the Evo 5'2 instead to stay consistent. It's that simple! :thumb:

kmun
Rare Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: East Gorge
Oregon Coast
Style: Swell, Wave
Gear: SS Rally 2012
Nash Fish, Global
Been thanked: 0

Postby kmun » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:34 pm

[quote=
"The Evo draws out long effortless lines and connects them seamlessly when turning. The aggressive concave bottom creates a buttery feeling. Astonishingly, with the wider outline and fluid dynamic efficiency, the Evo can be ridden even smaller than the Vanguard and Vader. "
http://www.thekiteboarder.com/2015/12/2 ... -firewire/
[/quote]

This comment about the Evo: "draws out long effortless lines" concerns me. At a body weight of166 lbs I had a Vanguard 5' 2" (w/John John thrusters) and found I could not carve a tight radius turn. My size 9 foot seemed too small to bury the wide tail rail and bring it around. Sort of stuck with large giant slalom turns not slalom tight turns in tight terrain. Occasionally, I would stuff (pearl) the nose with a heavy front foot (in swell) but not on a coastal wave.

Questions:
1. As reported the Vader will turn tighter than the Vanguard but, will the 4' 10" Evo turn tighter than the Vader?
2. Is the Evo nose harder to stuff (pear) than the Vader or the Vanguard?

Surf Shop Kiel
Rare Poster
Gear: NKB, FIREWIRE, ION, FUTURES FINS, MCKEE, FANATIC, NORTH SAILS
Brand Affiliation: NKB ProShop Germany
Been thanked: 0

Postby Surf Shop Kiel » Fri Jun 03, 2016 11:25 am

The Firewire EVO (kiteconstruction) will be available in september. Delivery date 06/2016 was canceled today :-?

Preorder recommended: http://www.surfshop-kiel.de/kiteboardin ... e-evo.html

Eike vom Surfshop Kiel
http://www.surfshop-kiel.de
http://www.facebook.com/SurfshopKiel
http://www.instagram.com/surfshop.kiel
Last edited by Surf Shop Kiel on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”