Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any place to buy a sand anchor that's safe?

Forum for kitesurfers
jfo14
Rare Poster
Gear: Best
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Any place to buy a sand anchor that's safe?

Postby jfo14 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:23 pm

I've been researching online about the best sand anchors and many people say none of them are very safe. I'm somewhat comfortable with self launching, but the beaches I go to have a lot of shells and I'd rather not risk damaging my kite, so that's why I'm looking into the sand anchors. Would people recommend a certain one? I know there are many different kinds at Home Depot/Amazon, and just wondering if anyone has a link to one that they would recommend buying (with or without the caribeaner attachment, I can always add that on after).

If anyone has an old one for sale too and is interested in selling, I'm interested in buying!

Vantage
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Long Bay, TCI
Le Morne, Mauritius
Key West Flats
Style: I have ZERO style...
Gear: 2016 Switchblades
Axis Vanguard
Nobile NHP Split

Re: Any place to buy a sand anchor that's safe?

Postby Vantage » Fri May 06, 2016 3:27 pm

I've used one of these a few times and it works really well. Great quality fittings as well. I have no affiliation with them, just rate it highly.

www.kiteanchor.com

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Fri May 06, 2016 3:32 pm

Skot Scott with Upwind Kiteboarding designed and brought the kiteanchor.com to market after seeing a guy embed a Danforth anchor in himself while off OBX. You can read more about it ...

HERE

jfo14 wrote:I've been researching online about the best sand anchors and many people say none of them are very safe. I'm somewhat comfortable with self launching, but the beaches I go to have a lot of shells and I'd rather not risk damaging my kite, so that's why I'm looking into the sand anchors. Would people recommend a certain one? I know there are many different kinds at Home Depot/Amazon, and just wondering if anyone has a link to one that they would recommend buying (with or without the caribeaner attachment, I can always add that on after).

If anyone has an old one for sale too and is interested in selling, I'm interested in buying!

jfo14
Rare Poster
Gear: Best

Postby jfo14 » Fri May 06, 2016 3:40 pm

Vantage wrote:I've used one of these a few times and it works really well. Great quality fittings as well. I have no affiliation with them, just rate it highly.

http://www.kiteanchor.com

Without meaning to be cheap, that just seems like too much money for what it is...but would it even be much cheaper if I made one my own? I'm okay with spending 30-40, but $50 just seems like a lot for that

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Fri May 06, 2016 3:58 pm

Is expensive because its stainless and has a handle welded on. You can get a painted steel one without handle for $5 at a builder supply store. I have a friend who did and welded a handle to the top himself. Works great. Does get a little rusty on the edges though...

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Fri May 06, 2016 4:11 pm

I did the same, I got a cheap one, welded 1/2" bar approx. 12" long, across the top, sprayed over the welded area with some rust inhibitor paint. Then got 2, 1/2" handle grips from eBay. Finished off with a piece of 4ft rope and a stainless caribiner. Works a treat. Not sure if it works out all that much cheaper than the kiteanchor.com one in the end!

You can use a wooden dowel approx 1"diameter as a handle, but it slips and nips the skin between your thumb and forefinger. The welded handle makes it so much more positive and easier to use.

BWD wrote:Is expensive because its stainless and has a handle welded on. You can get a painted steel one without handle for $5 at a builder supply store. I have a friend who did and welded a handle to the top himself. Works great. Does get a little rusty on the edges though...
Last edited by badgb21 on Mon May 16, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri May 06, 2016 4:37 pm

there's two theories on kite anchors, first theory is you make the anchor so strong that no matter how hard your kite pulls on it, the thing won't fly out. The second theory is if something goes wrong the anchor quickly releases the tension on the kite and lets it go downwind. The in between stuff is the problem, when it doesn't release tension but isn't strong enough to take the full power of the kite so the tension builds up maybe on a bridle wrap kite loop until the anchor flies out. the most popular way is to make your anchor as strong as possible, but I like the options that release the tension in case of problems like a sack full of sand better.

mbevo
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Hood River
Gear: cabinha and switch

Postby mbevo » Fri May 06, 2016 4:51 pm

Get this one
http://sandsharkanchor.com/sandshark-z/

Not too expensive for a heavy duty stainless steel one.

A bit on the heavy side but works so well, goes into sand so easy. Make sure to rinse w freshwater after saltwater use otherwise it will rust a bit, doesnt affect performance though.

Tested in 30 knots without issues with a 8m.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri May 06, 2016 5:03 pm

Kiteanchor.com is high quality and works well. You have to spend the extra few seconds and make sure it is screwed in well and then slid rope flush with sand.
It also depends on what type of sand you are screwing it into, if its loose and light, or rocky, you would be better off with bag.
I think I may switch to a bag also. Edt makes some good points, Also if the tide changes or people are in your way you can slide the bag to a better spot even while flying your kite. Either way I think tether launch is much less stressful on your kite than a beach launch.

On a side note there is a new screw in tether type launcher, hopefully being released soon that has a breakaway attachment that will flag the kite to your safety line automatically. It does this by having two attachment clips, one for the flag line and one for the chicken loop. The clip for chicken loop has a plastic bolt the breaks under load and flags kite. Sounds like a great idea , hopefully they bring it to market.

Laughingman
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay
Favorite Beaches: Kettle Point, Mitchell's Bay, Rondeau Bay, Long Bay, Cayo Guillermo, La Ventana
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Gen6 Flites 10m, 12m Gen2 Roams 6m and 8m, Cloud D 4.8, 6.2, 8.0, 10.4
Xeon Laluz, Mako Wide 150, Jellyfish Custom surf board quad fin 6', LF Impulse Foil and Kanaha Shapes 37" board
Engine Harness with slider

Postby Laughingman » Fri May 06, 2016 6:08 pm

A safe sand anchor or a safe place to buy it?

Return to “Kitesurfing”