Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer recommendation?

Forum for kitesurfers
SpaceRacer
Frequent Poster

Flysurfer recommendation?

Postby SpaceRacer » Wed May 11, 2016 2:57 pm

I am a freeride kiteboarder and snowkiter, who flies North Rebels between 7m and 14m. I used to own a 12m Flysurfer Pluse2 I believe many years ago but sold it. Was thinking of adding a Flysurfer back into my quiver. Which 1 kite and size should I start with? I'm drawn to the Speed5 12m but am open to your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer recommendation?

Postby windrider1 » Wed May 11, 2016 5:05 pm

A 12m would make good one kite quiver although i prefer the speed 4 series to the 5. to me its a little easier and smother kite to work with. the speed 5 is more closer to a sonic which is a fantastic kite but not as forgiving.

SpaceRacer wrote:I am a freeride kiteboarder and snowkiter, who flies North Rebels between 7m and 14m. I used to own a 12m Flysurfer Pluse2 I believe many years ago but sold it. Was thinking of adding a Flysurfer back into my quiver. Which 1 kite and size should I start with? I'm drawn to the Speed5 12m but am open to your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you

haiku
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Latina beach Italy and...Naish beach Maui
Favorite Beaches: Latina, Porto Pollo - Italy , Kitebeach. Kihei - Maui
Style: old and new school
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic FR, Speed, Boost, Cronix, Naish Pivot, Flysurfer Radical 5, Door 5, Kazuma custom wave boards

Postby haiku » Wed May 11, 2016 5:21 pm

Depending on your weight the new SP5 dlx+ 12 is the right choice. My weight is 75 Kilos and with a medium size TT (138 cm.x42) I can ride starting from 10/11 knots. With a smaller size TT (137X38) I had a session in 25 Knots without any problem. In the video below you can see the SP5 12 during my first LW session. I really love this kite :heartface: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1js7mObjbrc

Cheers

Carlo

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Wed May 11, 2016 5:52 pm

haiku wrote:Depending on your weight the new SP5 dlx+ 12 is the right choice. My weight is 75 Kilos and with a medium size TT (138 cm.x42) I can ride starting from 10/11 knots. With a smaller size TT (137X38) I had a session in 25 Knots without any problem. In the video below you can see the SP5 12 during my first LW session. I really love this kite :heartface: .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1js7mObjbrc

Cheers

Carlo
If that had been windy, the stopper being pulled down that much would have made that launch a LOT more interesting!!!!!

Life_Is_Awesome
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Keho, Alberta, Canada
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Life_Is_Awesome » Wed May 11, 2016 8:46 pm

If money isn't much of a concern, I'd go with an 11m Sonic. If you're freeriding mostly and love hang time, it's perfect. A little to handle with launching and not as forgiving as the Speed5, but you'll figure it out quickly since overall it is still user friendly for an experienced rider. It will do better in light wind, which will be important for snow kiting. I think the high end would be similar to a Speed 5 12m. The performance on them is unreal. If the price is too much, go with the Speed5 12m. It will also put a huge smile on your face.

sedluk
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Alum Creek - Ohio
Favorite Beaches: Turks and Caicos - Long Bay
Sail Bay - San Diego
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Flysurfer Speed 4, Boost2, Speed 5, Sonic 2 & Sonic Race
Nobile split boards, Ketos Foils and Boards, Mystic Supporter Harness

Postby sedluk » Thu May 12, 2016 12:41 am

Given that your winds allow you to ride 7m-14m, the 12m Speed is a good choice. I think the Speed 4 Lotus will be a favorite for a long time. It packs up lighter and is very well behaved. I also really like my Speed 5 12m, a little sportier but I don't think it is any more difficult to handle. I think the Speed 5 is the latest and greatest but the Speed 4 Lotus will always be a fantastic kite and I think they are better to travel with because they are lighter.

I prefer the Speed 5 with gusty conditions, it is just a little stiffer and seems to handle the gusts a little better. Maybe because it is also a little heavier.

I know that in most cases everyone always wants the newer model and usually for good reason. The Speed 4 Lotus was so good at what it did that I think Speed 5 is almost like another choice. It would be nice to have the newer bridle lines on the Speed 4, not that I ever really wished for improved lines but the Speed 5 lines do seem to tangle a little less when unpacking.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Thu May 12, 2016 2:46 am

I have both the Sonic 11m and the Speed 5 12m. I also owned the 12m Speed 4. I personally prefer the Speed 5 over the other 2 kites. I think it is the perfect compromise between the Speed 4 and the Sonic. It is more high performance than the Speed 4, but much more stable than the Sonic. I have used it both on the snow and the water. It is a sweet kite!

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu May 12, 2016 3:11 am

Why only flysurfer? You'll get much better value from Pansh.

As to which kite, if you want to boost go for a race kite like the sonic I would either add an 18m or replace your 14m with a 15m. Otherwise something like the speed4 or the A15 will be much more user friendly. The Aurora 2 will be coming out soon so that is another option.

windrider1
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: FLYSURFER, HQ KITES, OZONE KITES

Postby windrider1 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:16 pm

Whatever u do don't get a pansh depower kite. I don't knw why people keep on pimping pansh kites. Their kites are know for their quality problems. You may get one that flies or one that does not. Its a hit and miss with their kites no quality control and no way to return a bad one as they will not answer any emails or calls. I knw its rude to call people out but foilhole get a life and stop posting crap on the forum .
foilholio wrote:Why only flysurfer? You'll get much better value from Pansh.

As to which kite, if you want to boost go for a race kite like the sonic I would either add an 18m or replace your 14m with a 15m. Otherwise something like the speed4 or the A15 will be much more user friendly. The Aurora 2 will be coming out soon so that is another option.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Thu May 12, 2016 2:07 pm

windrider1 wrote:Whatever u do don't get a pansh depower kite. I don't knw why people keep on pimping pansh kites. Their kites are know for their quality problems. You may get one that flies or one that does not. Its a hit and miss with their kites no quality control and no way to return a bad one as they will not answer any emails or calls. I knw its rude to call people out but foilhole get a life and stop posting crap on the forum .
foilholio wrote:Why only flysurfer? You'll get much better value from Pansh.

Agreed. While they have some decent kites and cheap prices, they're lack of QC makes it really a brand for experienced handlers. I say go with either a Speed 4 12m or 15m or Speed 5 same sizes. I recommend a 15 because of the slighter better lowend. Either size is going to make your Rebel 14m obsolete.

Return to “Kitesurfing”