Kite Beach, South-Africa
Vääna- Jõesuu, Estonia
Style: Freestyle and big air
Gear: Eleveight RS 8m2, 9m2, 12m2 2020
Eleveight Commander 137cm 2021
Has thanked: 0

Bar+kite question

Postby ColdWeatherKiter » Sat May 14, 2016 8:05 pm

So i bought a 2014 naish park some time ago, but only have my gaastra x2 bar. The naish is meant to be used with a low V bar, but my bar has a high V. The kite with gaastra bar flies a bit weird. I was super underpowered (im only 65kg, so i should have been powered perfectly). Once it stalls then tries to overfly, and the power is very twitchy. I used the kite in its proper windrange, 20knots,9m2 kite. I know the bar is OK because my gaastra kite flies nicely. So the question is are there any other tips to try? (I already tried to use the trimsystem, flyed the same). I really dont have an option to try a naish bar, i could only buy one. But would prefer not to.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Re: Bar+kite question

Postby Da Yoda » Sat May 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Kites designed around a bar with a low V point (i.e. Naish) being paired with a bar with a high V point (i.e North, Gaastra) are generally not compatible and will change the behavior of a kite... usually in an unfavorable way.
Da Yoda wrote:Best rule for mixing kites with bars:
If you can find a bar that is identical or very close in spec to the stock bar that a given kite has been tuned around, you should not run into any issues. Bar/line width (length), depower throw length, flying line length, front line V-point, and the safety system all need to match or be very close in functionality.

BenBen
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Northern Germany
Gear: Slingshot Rally, Naish Pivot, Airush Lithium, Crazyfly Raptor
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bar+kite question

Postby BenBen » Sun May 15, 2016 8:53 am

A higher Y always means that the frontlines are a litte shorter (Even though they all lines have the same length). Just think of two lines going straight from the bar to the kite- and then imagine how the Lines will become a little shorter if you would connect these two lines in the middle.
Yes, a higher Y changes the behaviour. But maybe you can lower these effects by trimming your steerlines a little shorter too. That's how i do it with my kites. But i do it the opposite way with kites that are made for a y and my v bar. Which is less problematic.

Return to “Kitesurfing”