Ride Engine back pain?

Forum for kitesurfers
encio
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Ride Engine back pain?

Postby encio » Mon May 16, 2016 12:53 pm

I have problem whit sciatic nerve,i have the ride Engine harness but i have problem this....is possible?
Thanks

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ride Engine back pain?

Postby Starsky » Mon May 16, 2016 1:33 pm

No harness is going to work out the tension in your hip rotators. Thats up to you mate.

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 16, 2016 1:35 pm

The engine harness is supposed to avoid slipping out of position and sliding up your back. This should help you keep good posture - back straight, shoulders back.
Keeping a good posture should help with sciatica.
It's also helpful to have a stance and style with your weight equal in both feet.
If you always have too much weight on the back foot, your back (and sciatica) will suffer.
Other things to do are shorten your chicken loop and use the depower/trim rope to help you keep a good stance.
It is not just for adjusting power but also body position - helps you avoid the poo or monkey positions.
And you can even try a bar set up without a chicken loop - also makes it easier to stay in good stance.

I don't have an engine harness but would like to try one, getting a comfortable harness helped me with back pain and sciatica. I use an ion apex now.
Another thing to try of course is a seat harness - many people with back issues find that helps. It is not good for my style though.
I have some sciatica but it is better now than in the past when I rode with big c kites edging hard all the time. Good stance and cross training to strengthen core helped me. So did changing style to be more light on my feet, riding surfboards more.

ciscokitesurfer
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Altona
Favorite Beaches: Pacasmayo
Style: wave, cruise
Gear: Neo

Postby ciscokitesurfer » Mon May 16, 2016 2:46 pm

I have back pain and sciatica. I am using a seat harness and the back problem hasn't resurface. I used the Ride Engine for one session. My conclusion was to keep the sear harness. cheers

waynepjh
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Ozone edges and c4
Brand Affiliation: Ozone team rider

Postby waynepjh » Mon May 16, 2016 3:09 pm

I bet a foam roller will help your backpain/sciatica. Just do it!!!!!!

4shorecoaching
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Southend on sea, Cabarete
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete, laboca
Style: freestyle, big air, waves , foil
Gear: Cabrinha everything
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha
Np Surf
4shore coaching

Postby 4shorecoaching » Mon May 16, 2016 3:35 pm

Best bit of advice I have ever been given was to regularly stretch and get to the gym and do specific exercises to help with your back issues. Yoga is also great too :)
Try it out for just a month and you will really feel a difference.

Rich
4Shore Coaching

NHKitesurfer
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: MA/NH
Gear: Switch & Cabrinha

Postby NHKitesurfer » Mon May 16, 2016 4:29 pm

BWD wrote:The engine harness is supposed to avoid slipping out of position and sliding up your back. This should help you keep good posture - back straight, shoulders back.
Keeping a good posture should help with sciatica.
It's also helpful to have a stance and style with your weight equal in both feet.
If you always have too much weight on the back foot, your back (and sciatica) will suffer.
Other things to do are shorten your chicken loop and use the depower/trim rope to help you keep a good stance.
It is not just for adjusting power but also body position - helps you avoid the poo or monkey positions.
And you can even try a bar set up without a chicken loop - also makes it easier to stay in good stance.

I don't have an engine harness but would like to try one, getting a comfortable harness helped me with back pain and sciatica. I use an ion apex now.
Another thing to try of course is a seat harness - many people with back issues find that helps. It is not good for my style though.
I have some sciatica but it is better now than in the past when I rode with big c kites edging hard all the time. Good stance and cross training to strengthen core helped me. So did changing style to be more light on my feet, riding surfboards more.
I always have most of my weight on my back foot. How do you correct this?

encio
Rare Poster

Postby encio » Mon May 16, 2016 4:56 pm

it is possible that the problem is the board hydrofoil and the ride engine harness?

___stu___
Rare Poster
Gear: Kites on strings and a plank with straps

Postby ___stu___ » Mon May 16, 2016 6:50 pm

Exercise with yoga and some back specific stretches, check your bed, if the mattress is old change it for a good quality foam one and see the diffrence you get, I did this 2 years ago and have never had a flair up since. It's not nice to live with so a bit of cash spent for years of pain free living is a good deal.

Starsky
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Starsky » Mon May 16, 2016 7:06 pm

encio wrote:it is possible that the problem is the board hydrofoil and the ride engine harness?
No not really. If you had been talking about race boards I might have had to pause, the ergonomics of that were horrible looking. There are all kinds of people using foils with a well balanced ergonomic stance. The Ride Engine harness may not suit everyone, but again, its not to blame for someone's sciatica. We are to blame for any of the musculoskeletal issues we deal with barring accidental injury (which may or may not be our fault). Looking for one single cause is a faulty way to look at it. It's not one single thing, but absolutely everything counts. Every moment spent slouched into the car seat, in front of a computer, or in poor sleep postures are the cause. The one thing you do be it kite, garden or lift that puts you over the edge is not the only ingredient to your pain. The advice is here. Some simply wont see it, some might half get it, some have already learned the lesson the hard way.

You see its not the bed*, It's how you sleep in it. Its not the car seat its how you sit in it, its not the harness, its how you ride in it. Luckily for every bit of ergonomic abuse you incur, there are ways to move and stretch and roller and crack and exercise that will push you in the direction of better pain free function.

* It's true, there are shit beds, shit shoes, shit pillows and shit chairs, as well as many other terrible things in our lifestyles.

Return to “Kitesurfing”