Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
Yodarocket31
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Lake Tahoe, CA
Sherman Island, CA
Gear: North, Slingshot, F-One, Naish, Taaroa, Ride Engine
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

Postby Yodarocket31 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:16 pm

unbob wrote:
Cygnify wrote:
Bushflyr wrote:
No, always use an Antal ring. They're cheap and so much superior to SS rings.
I just got an antal ring last week for my RE harness. Super smooth. Not even comparable to just running rhe CL in smoothness. And best part is my core chicken loop fits perfectly around it in such a way that it locks onto the antal ring and won't come off even if there is no pressure from the kite. Perfect setup for me.
Sounds great. I also have the RE harness. However, I'm not convinced the Antal ring will work for me.

I measured my 2015 North Trust CL and it's 13mm diameter. The Antal ring (20x14) accommodates maximum of 14mm line on the ring. So that concerns me a bit - yes, my CL will fit the ring - but I just don't see how it won't come off the ring if the tension is released for any reason. Unfortunately, I'll need to spend around $30usd (incl shipping) to acquire the Antal ring and try it out on the water to determine how it performs in reality. Feedback from others who've tried it are most welcome!
I am using the 20mmx14mm ring on my 2014 North Bar in the same configuration as Cygnify and it works perfectly. Once loaded, the North CL seats nicely into the groove of the Antal Ring, same as the Core CL, and there is enough friction that it will not fall out.

I was using a smooth, anodized aluminum ring (20kN / 4,496 lbs. of force) previously, and it wore through my rope very quickly. Hopefully the Antal Ring extends the life of the rope...

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm

I have been using this tight weave climbing rope on my dynabar slider for a couple years, seems to work well. I recently got a used RE harness with some wear in rope, so replaced it with this rope type as well. On a recent high wind session, I got lucky...checking things out after session, found it was nearly worn through completely in that one session.

I was using the big steel ring, but experimenting with a large locking carabiner -- to allow for easy tethered self launch. I've used it a few sessions with no problem, but clearly something was rubbing the wrong way this day! I suspect the carabiner's locking mechanism may have been rubbing on the rope.

Should I replace this rope? Or think it will last a few more sessions? LOL
rope.jpg

stenner
Medium Poster
Gear: none

Postby stenner » Sun May 21, 2017 10:15 pm

Are the problems solved with the Ride Engine slider rope wearing out prematurely? Sounds like wear issus for most part were caused by inferior imation Dyneema rope.
Ride still shows the chicken loop going directly over the slider rope, no rings. I do like the idea of no rings because it assures dependable release without worry of CL getting hung up on a ring.
Any feedback or updates on this topic would be appreciated.

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Tue May 23, 2017 11:53 am

I'm just about to change the original rope on my RE.
I think it served me for approx. 120 sessions.
20170523_123945.jpg
however now I have a different problem... the velcro straps have lost the grip and now the belt opens up during whipeout.
any Pro Tipp. for home DIY?
Thx!
20170523_123945.jpg
Attachments
20170523_112719.jpg

Bletti
Frequent Poster
Gear: Slingshot Rally 10m

Postby Bletti » Tue May 23, 2017 12:04 pm

juandesooka, you could probably attach your leash (or second short leash) to the ring instead of your safety incase the rope snaps and continue to ride.

vannibombonato
Frequent Poster

Postby vannibombonato » Tue May 23, 2017 12:20 pm

After reading this thread this is the setup i came out with, i yet have to test it but at least on paper the rope is much higher quality, and the ring is super-uber smooth. The CL smoothly passes through the ring (not around it as another set up in this thread), the only drawback i see in this setup is that the bar is a few cms farther as i've added the ring, but it's anyway just about where it would be with a regular hook.

In theory this should be much stronger and smoother than stock setup...i just hope the reality matches theory, will see in a few weeks.

Rope is this one, breaking load 2900kg:
https://www.cordescotte.it/gottifredi-m ... m?___SID=S ,
Ring is this one, breaking load 1800kg:
http://www.antal.it/ita/R30-56_it
Attachments
IMG_4349.JPG

airfly
Rare Poster

Postby airfly » Tue May 23, 2017 1:05 pm

You can probably change the belt, because they have a video about how to do it

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/159139155[/vimeo]

K-Roy
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Balaton
Taiba, Brasil
Favorite Beaches: Cumbuco to Jeri
Style: strapless SB & strapless FB
Gear: Fone Bandit X, XII, Breeze V2. and Diablo V.1
FW Vader, OR Duke, Mitu Pro, Fone foil
Brand Affiliation: Fone brand Ambassador

Postby K-Roy » Tue May 23, 2017 2:13 pm

airfly wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 1:05 pm
You can probably change the belt, because they have a video about how to do it

[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/159139155[/vimeo]
Thank you!

NorCalNomad
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: San Francisco
Gear: Why should it matter?

Postby NorCalNomad » Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:49 pm
I have been using this tight weave climbing rope on my dynabar slider for a couple years, seems to work well. I recently got a used RE harness with some wear in rope, so replaced it with this rope type as well. On a recent high wind session, I got lucky...checking things out after session, found it was nearly worn through completely in that one session.

I was using the big steel ring, but experimenting with a large locking carabiner -- to allow for easy tethered self launch. I've used it a few sessions with no problem, but clearly something was rubbing the wrong way this day! I suspect the carabiner's locking mechanism may have been rubbing on the rope.

Should I replace this rope? Or think it will last a few more sessions? LOL

rope.jpg
(from a climber)
That's not "climbing rope" it's what you'd call accessory cord.

The construction on that type of rope is kernmantle with the core (kern) of the rope holding the force and the sheath (mantle) handling the abrasion. You can see the core in that photo so I'd replace it, core's aren't designed to hold up to abrasion. Why do you have a ring + the locker on there?

Kinda wish the North trim line was easier to get a hold of. The braided construction with the core seems like a pretty burly solution (from my experience on my north bars) with a nice safety factor of that core.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Wed May 24, 2017 4:08 pm

NorCalNomad wrote:
Tue May 23, 2017 9:35 pm
(from a climber)
That's not "climbing rope" it's what you'd call accessory cord.

The construction on that type of rope is kernmantle with the core (kern) of the rope holding the force and the sheath (mantle) handling the abrasion. You can see the core in that photo so I'd replace it, core's aren't designed to hold up to abrasion. Why do you have a ring + the locker on there?

Kinda wish the North trim line was easier to get a hold of. The braided construction with the core seems like a pretty burly solution (from my experience on my north bars) with a nice safety factor of that core.
I haven't been using this rope type since this abrasion problem. I have one of the slider ropes dynabar sells, been using that. I think it is just regular dyneema, but with a braided loop one end and then the tail buried the entire length of the slider. So the rope has double thickness, feels more stiff.

Why 2 rings: steel ring is on there until cut the rope, not easy to untie. The carabiner was a temporary experiment added after -- with the goal of helping with self launch (tether and carabiner).

Return to “Kitesurfing”