Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

Forum for kitesurfers
Starsky
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Anyone replace their Ride Engine rope slider yet?

Postby Starsky » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:14 am

spend the money on a low friction ring

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: OR Razor 7m
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk
Been thanked: 0

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:30 am

Starsky wrote:spend the money on a low friction ring

^^Definitely this.

Also, I just ran into a friend today who had just come in from his second session on a new Ride Engine. He is running the CL through a stainless ring on the rope. After ONLY 2 SESSIONS, his rope was already looking frayed and suspect. The rope that Ride is using is CLEARLY INFERIOR QUALITY to Amsteel blue.

His rope, although similar diameter to mine was MUCH looser weave, softer, and just felt wrong in hand. More like that weird polypro rope that feels like it's made from ribbon. Not what I'd use in a critical application. :nono: Maybe Ride can chime in here, but whatever they're using is not up to spec. After seeing his line I'd recommend everyone replace their slider line before the first ride.

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:26 am

Bushflyr wrote: Also, I just ran into a friend today who had just come in from his second session on a new Ride Engine. He is running the CL through a stainless ring on the rope. After ONLY 2 SESSIONS, his rope was already looking frayed and suspect. The rope that Ride is using is CLEARLY INFERIOR QUALITY to Amsteel blue.
No, no, no! Never use just one round ring - always use two (2)! Using only one causes excessive stress on both the CL and the rope. Using two rings alleviates the stress and reduces friction thus sliding much easier on the rope. However, using high quality rope should also be high priority!

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:40 am

unbob wrote:No, no, no! Never use just one round ring - always use two (2)!
No, always use an Antal ring. They're cheap and so much superior to SS rings.

Cygnify
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Henley Beach South
Gear: Core XR4 12, 10, 7m
Shinn Bronq 135
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby Cygnify » Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:53 am

Bushflyr wrote:
I just got an antal ring last week for my RE harness. Super smooth. Not even comparable to just running rhe CL in smoothness. And best part is my core chicken loop fits perfectly around it in such a way that it locks onto the antal ring and won't come off even if there is no pressure from the kite. Perfect setup for me.

Bushflyr
Very Frequent Poster
Caution Spitfire 9m, 10m
Firewire Vanguard 5' 4"
Naish Global 5' 10"
Shinn Monk

Postby Bushflyr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:01 pm

Cygnify wrote:And best part is my core chicken loop fits perfectly around it in such a way that it locks onto the antal ring and won't come off even if there is no pressure from the kite. Perfect setup for me.

Can you post a picture of that showing how it locks in and what size ring you used? There was discussion previously about how to get the CL to work with a ring.

iriejohn
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg, 1.78m
Local Beach: West & East Wittering (UK South Coast)
Style: Make it up as I go along
Gear: Bars, Kites
Twintips, Directional

Postby iriejohn » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:17 pm

Because I never unhook I've got rid of the CL and use rope with a nylon running wheel. No rope wear at all. Image

Cygnify
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Henley Beach South
Gear: Core XR4 12, 10, 7m
Shinn Bronq 135
Ocean Rodeo Duke

Postby Cygnify » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:41 pm

Bushflyr wrote:
Cygnify wrote:And best part is my core chicken loop fits perfectly around it in such a way that it locks onto the antal ring and won't come off even if there is no pressure from the kite. Perfect setup for me.

Can you post a picture of that showing how it locks in and what size ring you used? There was discussion previously about how to get the CL to work with a ring.

Antal ring is 20x14.

The core chicken loop is slightly too big for the CL tube to fit in the antal ring 100%. Enough of it fits however, and because of the shape of the CL, that it presses against the antal ring on the sides so that it stays in position until I pull it backwards, which will put it off the ring.

So even when there is no slack from the kite pulling the CL onto the antal ring it still stays locked onto it. Its really a very lucky fit because of the shape of the CL and diameter of the CL tube.

unbob
Medium Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
The Gorge
Style: Free/surf
Gear: Vader 5'1"
North Neo 6/8/10m

Postby unbob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 5:53 pm

Cygnify wrote:
Bushflyr wrote:
I just got an antal ring last week for my RE harness. Super smooth. Not even comparable to just running rhe CL in smoothness. And best part is my core chicken loop fits perfectly around it in such a way that it locks onto the antal ring and won't come off even if there is no pressure from the kite. Perfect setup for me.
Sounds great. I also have the RE harness. However, I'm not convinced the Antal ring will work for me.

I measured my 2015 North Trust CL and it's 13mm diameter. The Antal ring (20x14) accommodates maximum of 14mm line on the ring. So that concerns me a bit - yes, my CL will fit the ring - but I just don't see how it won't come off the ring if the tension is released for any reason. Unfortunately, I'll need to spend around $30usd (incl shipping) to acquire the Antal ring and try it out on the water to determine how it performs in reality. Feedback from others who've tried it are most welcome!

topmick
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sunshine Coast
Favorite Beaches: Cotton Tree
Style: surf
Gear: Switch
FireWire

Postby topmick » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:45 pm

Cygnify wrote:
Bushflyr wrote:

Antal ring is 20x14.

The core chicken loop is slightly too big for the CL tube to fit in the antal ring 100%. Enough of it fits however, and because of the shape of the CL, that it presses against the antal ring on the sides so that it stays in position until I pull it backwards, which will put it off the ring.

So even when there is no slack from the kite pulling the CL onto the antal ring it still stays locked onto it. Its really a very lucky fit because of the shape of the CL and diameter of the CL tube.
Antal ring 20x14, is that 20mm opening by 14mm ring thickness - so the overal diameter of the ring comes to 48mm ?

Return to “Kitesurfing”