Forum for kitesurfers
tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Cabrinha Apollo

Postby tegirinenashi » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:17 pm

Are those clumps on one pump tubing really necessary? Anybody bothers to clump struts, or they are just dead weight?

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:54 am

If you've ever had your main bladder deflate mid-session then you would really appreciate those strut clamps.

tegirinenashi
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: 3rd Ave
Gear: Bates 4000, Dominator MX-10
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tegirinenashi » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:01 am

Lets ask those who used them what comes first: a leaking strut, or a damaged rubber hose after continuous abrasion by clamp. (I stopped clamping altogether after noticing that wear).

WMFG
Medium Poster
Style: Strapless
Gear: WMFG, Mystic, Naish, Amundson, Firewire
Brand Affiliation: WMFG Founder
Has thanked: 0

Postby WMFG » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:02 am

I love the concept of these high aspect super dope inflatable kites. Never say never but my interest in dealing with bridles and the dodgy hot launch ram air action is minimal and I don't know how I could ever buy one. This kite looks sick, I bet it's awesome on some long lines and a nice fast board. I couldn't care if technically some super high aspect foil kite's faster I bet this kite is awesome.

toyletbowl
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Olbrich, Governor Nelson, Tenney, Burrows and McDaniels.
Favorite Beaches: Olbrich on SW and McDaniels on a SSW.
Sheboygan when it blows hard on a NE.
Style: Waves, Twin tip and Foilboards.
Gear: Whatever is available.
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha, Slingshot, Core, Armstrong, Axis, NP Surf, Ride engine, Mystic. www.kiteridersllc.com
Has thanked: 0

Postby toyletbowl » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:28 am

Matt....is that you? Loving the pumps my friend.

I'm not going to say too much on here yet due to it being premature for Cabrinha's launch, but if you need a source for these let em know. I should have my first order coming in a a few weeks. If you have a source, that's cool. Can't hurt to ask.

I will say the kite was really impressive, but that's all I'll say for now.

Bob
www.kiteridersllc.com

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:41 am

tegirinenashi wrote:Lets ask those who used them what comes first: a leaking strut, or a damaged rubber hose after continuous abrasion by clamp. (I stopped clamping altogether after noticing that wear).
My quiver of kites are 6 and 7 years old. The rubber is not damaged. Sometimes it sticks where the clamp has been and it takes a little manipulation of the tube to get it to open to let the air out.

The most common cause of main bladder deflating is the inflate valve is not tightened enough. There's a fine line between too lose and it leaks, and too tight and you can't easily get it open at the end of the session. There's also the obvious of a damaged main bladder, but that is even more rare.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:48 am

WMFG wrote:I love the concept of these high aspect super dope inflatable kites. Never say never but my interest in dealing with bridles and the dodgy hot launch ram air action is minimal and I don't know how I could ever buy one. This kite looks sick, I bet it's awesome on some long lines and a nice fast board. I couldn't care if technically some super high aspect foil kite's faster I bet this kite is awesome.
I used foils exclusively in the early days of kiting. They had massive range and good relaunch. There were a few issues that remain true even with the more modern foils.

Most foils are very expensive. Size for size they're more than 50% more expensive.

The lack of rigid struts means the canopy is in contact with the beach the whole time when it's not flying (same goes for strutless kites). That increases wear and tear and is very tedious. There's nothing nicer than walking your inflated LEI kite to the grass rigging area to pack up in comfort.

Relaunch is good, but you have a fairly limited time to relaunch. It is not uncommon when foiling to wait 15 minutes on the water for a gust to relaunch. An LEI will float forever and self rescue is almost a non-event. It is not uncommon to have to help in a foil flyer who has bow tied then drowned his kite.

Tone
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Tone » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:10 am

foilholio wrote:Come on that is a bit harsh. I am sure they will put a checkered pattern on it.:-)
#

LOL or 'go faster stripes'

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach
Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Postby BraCuru » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:11 am

WMFG wrote: This kite looks sick, I bet it's awesome on some long lines and a nice fast board. I couldn't care if technically some super high aspect foil kite's faster I bet this kite is awesome.
I don't need to bet anymore ;)
OzBungy wrote:I just weighed my 2010-11 Crossbows and the Apollo is barely 400 grams lighter. That's a little, or a lot depending on your point of view.
What size did you weight?
It sounds like the Apollo is intended to be a full on race kite.
In my mind it looks and act as the best inflatable race machine on the market.
Why did not Apollo appear 3 years ago?! :idea: The racing scene could be more popular than now with the foil kites only :(

I had just a few sessions on 14 and 10m. Cannot assess them thoroughly. Still need to test 3 various attach points for steering lines.

So far - they are different than Velocity. Their profiles are more flatter than Velocity ones.
Striking thing is to see how close they seat to the window's edge. Keeping them in the Zenith I have impression the kite is behind my back. But it stays there more stable than expected.
They require a couple of hours of familiarisation on the water to achieve the best handling techniques due to above.

I love to watch them in the air - they look so slim :o

I can't be wrong recommending Apollo for advanced riders who want to race, freerace, freeride foil and jump. For sure this is not a kite for beginners.
Do you think the Apollo would be good as a foiling kite for the lighter end of the wind range?
Give me more days to check out. Unfortunately we have too much winds in Baltic for next two weeks :(
I need to test well how to relaunch them in light winds. So far - in most cases I relaunched it by a reverse pull. It was easier than the traditional way due to very high AR.

Mossy 757
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: First Landing State Park, Virginia Beach Oceanfront
Style: Kitefoil
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil and board. Cabrinha Velocity 9m, Flysurfer Sonic2 11m, Ozone R1V2 15m

Postby Mossy 757 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:37 pm

Looks like fun but do they go upwind? That's been the Achilles Heel of racing tube kites...
Last edited by Mossy 757 on Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”