Forum for kitesurfers
droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Xensr Vs. Woo Vs. Trace

Postby droffats » Mon May 23, 2016 1:02 am

I don't have time to edit a video properly, so here is the best I had time for. After about 6 sessions with them all, I've got one session to compare:

Screen Shots from the Xensr:
xensr map.JPG
Xensr screen.JPG
xensr stats airtime.JPG
xensr stats.JPG
Disclaimer: I may not know all the features of the Woo and Trace as I've had the least time messing with them.

Trace
Trace.JPG
The board I used to test them
Mounts_edited-1.jpg
Stafford
http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Re: Xensr Vs. Woo Vs. Trace

Postby longwhitecloud » Mon May 23, 2016 6:09 am

cool, can you hoist them up a flagpole fast together up and down and see what they say?

alxg
Rare Poster
Gear: Naish Bolt 12m
Wainman Smoke
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby alxg » Mon May 23, 2016 8:17 am

Cool setup, but you have mounted the WOO wrong, as on many other tests I've seen. I believe the other sensors wants to be placed in the middle as well, but this is at least what I found from the WOO website:
http://docs.woosports.com/article/83-the-woo-mount
"..You’ll want to place the mount on the center of your board, running parallel with the rail."

Looking forward to results althought there is no true answer comparing the three results. It is like comparing 3 guestimates :P

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Mon May 23, 2016 3:50 pm

Sorry Stafford but your review seems a bit like cherry picking and a sales pitch to push the Xensr.
Does not seem to be too trustworthy to me and I'll explain why.
Both woo and Trace mounts are not installed properly on the board (not according to manufacturer's recommendations)
On the jump measurement accuracy:
- you failed to mentioned that there were discrepancies in number of detected jumps Woo 16, trace 12, Xensr 17
- max airtime differs by ~1 second (woo4.6s vs Xensr 5.51)
- The highest jump on xensr happened ~47m in to your session and on woo it's ~54minute.. So no - they do not match
Note that the last 2 jumps on woo and trace do match the pattern (both happening around 71min), which makes me to believe that sessions on both devices were started around the same time
IMG_1129.PNG
I have no idea which device is more accurate at this point, with Trace probably the least trustworthy (see my review in the reviews section)
longwhitecloud, raising them on a flagpole will not work.. this is not how those devices are designed to work..

CaptainArgh
Very Frequent Poster
Style: freeride, surf, slicks, dwindr exploring
Gear: SS RPM 6, SST 8/10 and Rally 12

Postby CaptainArgh » Mon May 23, 2016 4:06 pm

Well, Woo is definitely leading the pack in marketing!
You can't go to a kite beach without seeing Woo stickers all over cars and boards. :lol:

I'm interested in these threads, though. Doesn't seem like any of them are accurate when someone tries to test them. Best tech we have out there are the GPS route traces, though. At least those work.

flybykite
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Nitinat Lake, BC, Canada
Mui Ne, Vietnam
Style: Old School
Gear: Shinn Monk
V8K Ozone Edges 7&9
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby flybykite » Tue May 24, 2016 9:09 am

Maybe attach all sensors to your kite and launch it back and forth across the window slamming it into the water each time. I'd be interested in these results as its likely about the same g force as a jump and landing and the height will be easily measured by your lines.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue May 24, 2016 9:35 am

awesome idea - yeah do that...

bc-sf
Medium Poster
Gear: naish parks, xride tt, slingshot celeritas

Postby bc-sf » Wed May 25, 2016 4:18 am

Time to dig up Segal's law... 'A man with a watch knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure'
I'm sure there's another law where one mans 5" is another's 8".
Anyway, short of having a calibrated gold standard, and if you can get past comparing yourself to others, just go with one and go for personal best. Personally I would rather have gps data and a nice interface. Leaderboards don't show whether you landed it or huck and bailed...

Glad there is more competition in the market and looking forward to getting one of these someday. And thanks also for the comparisons/reviews (that may help get some kind of functional standard)

droffats
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Freeride, Hdrofoil, Waves, Big Air
Gear: Ozone, Ocean Rodeo, Cabrinha, Mystic
Brand Affiliation: www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Postby droffats » Wed May 25, 2016 4:22 am

Deniska, you could be right. You put more effort into comparing them than I did! Although I don't have time to confirm that this happened on these particular tracks, I have seen errors in reading jumps while handling the board on shore. In this session I came in to switch from a 9m kite to a 13m. Could also be because I mounted the Trace and Woo wrong?

Regardless, I like the Xensr software the best so I'm sticking with that as my choice, and for the other reasons I mentioned in the video. We do sell both Xensr and Woo, and have the opportunity to sell Trace as well. The Trace offers the best margins for the dealer so if I just wanted to make money, that would influence my decision.

Since no device, these included, will ever be perfect at recording jump height (that will take some laser/sonar/radar measuring thing that is not cost practical), the question for me is that will one device be reasonably accurate and very consistent? In other words, is it within a reasonable margin of error in height, but always within that margin from one jump to the next? If so, then I'm good with it.

Thanks,
Stafford

http://www.adventurekiteboarding.com

Return to “Kitesurfing”